aberdeen-music

Dogs

framheim

Wonder if the guys on the other side will adopt some pigs from us. Ah well nice heart warming story, fido will be chowing down on some organic, free range dog food tonight i'm sure.

I do love dogs and this is nice but I'm a bit cynical with this kind of thing.

Edited by Gypsum_Fantastic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have you tried chew treats, bones of something like that, to keep your dog occupied? How long have they been around each other? Have you tried tiring your dog out a bit more than you normally would?

Good suggestions. She'll chew for a bit then as soon as the other one moves she's back to barking. It's relelntless. Im gonna take her for a huge walk tonight and see how it goes. Cheers.

Good suggestions. She'll chew for a bit then as soon as the other one moves she's back to barking. It's relelntless. Im gonna take her for a huge walk tonight and see how it goes. Cheers.

We had a similar issue, my friend got the sister of Izzy pup, but he already has a 4 year old boy Archie who becomes extremely defensive and jealous when the two pups played, which resulted in a lot of barking and fighting. What we found was taking the three of them out for a big walk, then giving Archie tripe sticks really calmed down the situation. If he had more exercise than normal and something to keep him occupied it seemed to make him much less interested in what the pups were up too. Its a tought one tho, hopefully giving a bit of time your should adjust to the other dog being there. 

Also make sure things stay as much the same for her as you can, feed her first, even a few moments before the other, make sure if she sleeps in the same place that the other dog is not stealing it, the less your dogs routine is disturbed, hopefully, the better. 

Oh and pics of the two dogs should be a must in this thread!! 

• Upvote 2

There is also another option i had forgotten about, but it would be expensive.

You get stuff called Adaptil for dogs, its stuff to help calm down dogs that are nervous, or dogs that get overly excited. I use the cat equivalent called Feliway in my flat, it has really helped calm her down around the dog. Before i used this stuff they couldnt pass each other in the hallway without hissing and growling, now the cat walks past her without caring for the most part. You can get Adaptil collars, or plug in's that you can use in the room they are most active in. 

• Upvote 1

Should add my girlfriend uses Adaptil collars on her two. The big one, Rico, is a complete wimp and is scared of anything he doesnt know, so he really needs this stuff, ive seen the difference with him outside without the collars to when he has one and he is almost a different dog. Without it he will barely move without trying to hide behind you, with it on you can take him for a walk. The smaller one Kobi isnt great being left on his own, he tends to howl, and i dunno if you've ever heard a hound howl properly, its an incredible noise, we can hear it out in the car park after we have left the flat, again the collars really help him settle down. 

I think my Izzy pup has taken a real shine to Rico, she follows him around in my girlfriends flat and is always trying to play fight with him, there is something hilarious about seeing a 3kg Chihuahua hanging off an ear of a 50kg blood hound. 

Edited by The Milner

Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard of this stuff but kinda don't want to use it because there's something about it that im unsure about. I feel like I'd want to teach her rather than put it off by using a substance.

It's been a bit of a nightmare this wknd. The other dog (Fritz) isnt very sociable and just kinda lays down all day whereas my dog is a bundle of energy and noise. She's been trying to get Fritz to play but he'll just growl at her when she comes close. The jealousy thing has been nuts too. We can't go near fritz without her barking at us and trying to get in our faces. He's away back home tonight though, thank god. I'll post pics later.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard of this stuff but kinda don't want to use it because there's something about it that im unsure about. I feel like I'd want to teach her rather than put it off by using a substance.

It's been a bit of a nightmare this wknd. The other dog (Fritz) isnt very sociable and just kinda lays down all day whereas my dog is a bundle of energy and noise. She's been trying to get Fritz to play but he'll just growl at her when she comes close. The jealousy thing has been nuts too. We can't go near fritz without her barking at us and trying to get in our faces. He's away back home tonight though, thank god. I'll post pics later.

Nah i completely understand, i feel uneasy trying to control behavior with drugs, it just doesnt quite seem right. My GF made the choice for her two, but i would be like you, id like to train bad things out of them, rather than subdue with a drug. 

Im dog sitting for 3 Chihuahua's at the weekend, im just going to take them to Nicola's and let them loose on her dogs. 

Nah i completely understand, i feel uneasy trying to control behavior with drugs, it just doesnt quite seem right. My GF made the choice for her two, but i would be like you, id like to train bad things out of them, rather than subdue with a drug. 

Im dog sitting for 3 Chihuahua's at the weekend, im just going to take them to Nicola's and let them loose on her dogs. 

Will you take them out for a walk in your handbag?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...