aberdeen-music

Dogs

framheim

One thing, she knows to cry to get out to poop, but she doesn't cry until she's finished pissing on the floor. I read online that if you catch her doing it to clap and give her a stern no, and if she stops mid flow to take her outside. But I haven't been so lucky. Any tips?

As a general rule, reward good behaviour rather than punishing bad behaviour. It's difficult for the dog to associate the act of peeing with it being a bad thing. If you've already established a 'good dog' pleasant voice for good things and a 'no, bad dog' authoritative voice for bad stuff then definitely use that if you catch her mid-flow.

Also, as soon as she starts pissing and you notice, pick her up and take her outside. When she successfully finishes her pee outside, give her a treat and 'good dog' voice and a little play. This may be difficult if you're in a flat. My ex and I were lucky when training our dog that we could just pop him straight out the back door.

Definitely do not 'punish' or 'bad dog' voice if you notice a puddle on the floor after the event, there's simply no way of the dog associating the scolding with the pissing. Edited by Adam Easy Wishes
  • Upvote 2

But today, she woke up, so we took her downstairs. The back door was locked so of course she pissed on the floor when I put her down. Fair shout. Not her fault. So I put her outside. Went up the stairs. Came down to two puddles of piss and two big shites INSIDE. So she got a 'bad dog' for that, considering I left the back door open.

She won't associate the 'bad dog' with the act of pissing or shitting unless you bad dog her during the act.

• Upvote 1

Cheers guys. 

I've had dogs before but they were never my responsibility to train.

Gonna get some pads, and a dog bed. She slept with us as she would always wake us up to get down off the bed. That meant she needed a whizz. But woke up this morning to a wet patch on the duvet. No more bed sharing for you doggy!

Cheers guys. 

I've had dogs before but they were never my responsibility to train.

Gonna get some pads, and a dog bed. She slept with us as she would always wake us up to get down off the bed. That meant she needed a whizz. But woke up this morning to a wet patch on the duvet. No more bed sharing for you doggy!

Had that a few times, worst was probably when she did it at 2-3am, cue frantic removal of bedding.

• Upvote 1

It was more the wife than me, now she sleeps on a chair in my wife's gran's room, then once she's been out to pee in the morning, she comes up and sleeps with us for a few hours. Although it's always fun when they come up to visit me in Edinburgh, as she sleeps with us, even when we put her in her bed.

I don't mind our dog jumping onto our bed. She'll lay down for a while then jump off to go to her own bed. We made sure she knew our bed wasn't her bed early on - this is where crate training was really good. She got used to being on her own when it's time to sleep. I think it's fine to let her go anywhere she wants as long as she's aware of what her boundaries are. We kinda messed up with letting her on the sofa - now we're working on getting her to come up only if we say so.

My dog can do loads of tricks now. She can walk on her hind legs for a few yards, jumps and barks on command, can do left and right 'paw shakes', spins around, lays down. Still can't get 'roll over' to stick though. Jack Russel's are smart as fuck. She has to have her mind occupied as much as possible so she loves learning tricks.

I'm trying to get my dog to do a fist bump. She can sit on command and she did do 'paw' before forgetting. So this has given me an opportunity to start fresh with a fist.

She can walk up the stairs all by herself now but is too scared to come down. major lols. 

Some tips needed...

My dog has become a really bad attention seeker. She will bark when we are in any way not engaging with her. To the point where my gf and I can hardly have a conversation between ourselves at times. We're trying to drill into her that a finger to the lips and a 'Be Quiet!' means she should stop barking then rewarding her when she stops but it doesn't seem to be working - it's as if she considers us telling her to be quiet is giving her the attention she wants. We've also tried just ignoring her and treating her when she stops but that doesn't seem to work either. If i'm paying attention to her and she starts barking, the 'Be Quiet!' thing works well though.

I would just ignore her but don't treat her when she stops, as the treat is just enforcing the attention she is seeking. You'll probably have to try something else other than "Be Quiet!" to get her to stop barking, as she associates that with quiet playing, if she's barking when your paying attention to her, it might be better to just stop paying attention to her, until she stops barking.

• Upvote 1

I would just ignore her but don't treat her when she stops, as the treat is just enforcing the attention she is seeking. You'll probably have to try something else other than "Be Quiet!" to get her to stop barking, as she associates that with quiet playing, if she's barking when your paying attention to her, it might be better to just stop paying attention to her, until she stops barking.

Thanks. Gonna try be militant with the ignoring and see what happens.

When she barks at other stuff not for attention (like the broom for example) the 'Be Quiet!' command works well. Maybe we should just use in those instances.