aberdeen-music

An Albums For 2013 Thread

Woodsinho

It did that on the old website too ;) But not on the old, old website.

I like that song more than anything I've heard from any of their albums for a while. Except for the synths. It could definitely do without those.

Yeeeah, it's good. Synths can fuck off. Why?! Just WHY. Totally superfluous. Double tracked vocal is niiice.

• Upvote 1

What are people's thoughts of the new My Bloody Valentine album? I have only given it a listen once via youtube, which is obviously not the best way, but it sounds like it's a grower. I have read some complaints online that it sounds too similar to Loveless - I know Shields proclaimed that is would be a lot weirder - but I think some leeway has to be given, as really no record sounded like that before. Shields did essentially come up with that sound, so such critism is a bit harsh. It's like complaining the Edge plays with a delay pedal or Johnny Marr plays jangly arpeggios.

Edited by Jan

What are people's thoughts of the new My Bloody Valentine album? I have only given it a listen once via youtube, which is obviously not the best way, but it sounds like it's a grower. I have read some complaints online that it sounds too similar to Loveless - I know Shields proclaimed that is would be a lot weirder - but I think some leeway has to be given, as really no record sounded like that before. Shields did essentially come up with that sound, so such critism is a bit harsh. It's like complaining the Edge plays with a delay pedal or Johnny Marr plays jangly arpeggios.

I like it a lot. I've only listened to it on youtube and in my car via one of them radio adapters for my iphone so I can't really comment on the production values at the moment. I'm excited for my vinyl and cd to show up so I can give it a proper listen. 

I'm amazed by how little hype there was leading up to it. In 2012 Shields just kinda mentioned "We are hoping to release an album in 2013". Start of February 2013 " Hey guys, btw we've just popped our new album up for download and you can buy physical copies too."

Unless I missed something it seems like the most laid back album launch ever. If I didn't follow MBV on facebook or post on here I don't think I would of heard about it.

This approach makes sense to me to me. Obviously only bands in a certain position are really able to do it. Those that don't have controlling record labels and know they can get by without any pre-release marketing. It lets the band do things more on their own terms. Radiohead released the King of Limbs in pretty much the same way although their announcement was a few days before it became available.

And on an unrelated note, how many signatures would it take on a petition to get your username changed back to Flights?

Also did you not get a good quality download when you bought the cd and vinyl?

Edited by Paranoid Android

This approach makes sense to me to me. Obviously only bands in a certain position are really able to do it. Those that don't have controlling record labels and know they can get by without any pre-release marketing. It lets the band do things more on their own terms. Radiohead released the King of Limbs in pretty much the same way although their announcement was a few days before it became available.

And on an unrelated note, how many signatures would it take on a petition to get your username changed back to Flights?

Also did you not get a good quality download when you bought the cd and vinyl?

Yeah I got the 24bit 96 K WAV download but to get it to play on my iPhone it needed to be converted to whatever format iPhones use and it lost all it's high quality goodness. Plus car radio adapters aren't very good. My computer doesn't have speakers  either as my TV doubles up as my monitor and speakers but the speakers on it are terrible.

King of Limbs was out for about 2 weeks before I realised it was. 

I can't change it back to Flights for a month so you'll just have to accept the fact I've shed my previous moniker for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Oman, there are loads of albums coming out this month that I want to get my paws on. Some of them (ASIWYFA, Marnie Stern, Clutch) have been mentioned in here before so here's something that hasn't been talked about yet... Lacuna by Caravels - screamo/post-hardcore/whatevercarsonwellsare. Heard a couple of songs from this'un and it sounds like a winner. Here's one:

Ooo, The Story So Far have a new one too:

• 4 weeks later...

http://loudwire.com/voivod-target-earth-exclusive-album-stream/

Voivod! Metal! 13th album! Because you can't be a seminal metal band until you're onto a -teenth album.

Finally got round to putting this on, flippin' 'eck it's incredible.

The new Inter Arma album is similarly great if you're into Old Man Gloom and all that noisey, sludgy stuff.