aberdeen-music

An Albums For 2013 Thread

Woodsinho

Cortez have a new album out at the start of Jan on the awesome Throatruiner Records (They released some Birds in Row records, and loads of other great stuff, mostly chaotic and heavy Euro hardcore).

You can listen to all of it here:

http://www.metalorgie.com/dossiers/811_Cortez-Phoebus-ecoute-exclusive_

You will dig if you like hardcore leaning more towards the epic post-metal side of things, but still raging. Cave In, Knut, Converge yadda yadda. The production is HUGE. Everything just sounds massive.

My wonderful, glorious boyfriend bought me a ticket to see Eels in Glasgow next March. It'll be ace and I am looking forward to it, despite me not really knowing much of their stuff since Souljacker. I've some catching up to do and they've got another new album out on the 5th February, so that'll be good.

Eels_-_Wonderful%2C_Glorious.jpg

Also, Yo La Tengo are playing the same week. Looks like their album is out on January 14th and having seen it crop up prematurely in the Favourite 2012 Albums thread, I presume it kicks ass.

Nick Cave, Eels and Yo La Tengo? Oh, Ambassador...

• Upvote 1

Sorry, slow day at work. And I'm excited about a new release as my band lost the bad bassist, and might have gained a decent one.

The Enter Shikari Live In London LP/DVD is out next year. I, of course, pre-orded it so I have the live tracks downloaded as part of their album's Redux. But I can't wait to watch it liiiivvvveeeee.

I haven't heard anything beyond The Process of Belief, which I didn't like at all anyway. New American was a bit crap as well. It sounded like the Goo Goo Dolls or something. The last album I liked by them was the Gray Race, which is surprisingly good considering Gurewitz had left by that point.

I think a Bad Religion album is always going to be predictable though. The majority of their albums are incredibly similar, though in their prime, that wasn't a bad thing. No Control, Suffer and Against The Grain sound like they could have been written and recorded in the same session. Great records.

New America is the only blot on their copy book in my opinion. They got Todd Rundgren to produce it because Graffin was a big fan and according to the band he was a bit of a tool.

They do have the same formula but it's one I love so I'm always happy. I'd recommend 'The Empire Strikes First' of their later stuff - post 9/11 and Iraq war anger. The best BR album in my opinion.

Also looking forward to the new Eels record.

• Upvote 1

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Rustie's due us a new release this year methinks. Not a single one in 2012 :/ I remember him tweeting about losing a hard drive tho...maybe this set him back.

I've not heard Ryan Hemsworth's next EP but I can imagine him pulling something special out the bag. Will be interesting to see how Cashmere Cat develops his stuff too.

Curious to what fate awaits TNGHT - ie. can they get much bigger than daytime Radio 1 plays & G.O.O.D Music production credits without becoming less exciting? The 'trap' fad is going to either die or far more likely, become the standard bro production movement in 2013 if it isn't already. They need to either evolve or blend in I guess. Maybe the latter since Hud Mo and Lunice also have their own solo music to worry about.

To be honest it's pretty hard to scope out releases on an annual basis. 3-6 months is more like it.

Donky Pitch will be putting out a new EP & video by yours truly in Q1 2013, and I'm pretty close to finishing up a collaborative effort with Atlanta's Taste Tester, hopefully set for a vinyl release in April/May on a really cool new label.

Tuff Wax will also be releasing a ltd etched 12" EP for New Jersey's Jaw Jam in Q1 2013 as a collab with TRY Industries, that's probably going to be pretty big for all involved.

• 2 weeks later...