aberdeen-music

replacing tele neck humbucker

James Broonbreed

As you've found, the repro WRHBs on Mexican Tele Customs (and Deluxes) are the Achilles heel of an otherwise well built and designed guitar. The original WRHBs- with CuNiFe magnets- were rightly revered as classics....... but I believe the magnets are no longer made.

Jason Lollar is the guy most American owners look to, for a solution to your problem. This is a great but expensive way to go.

http://www.guitarexperience.co.uk/pickups/lollar-pickups/lollar-regal-humbucker.html

I have no experience with this company - but I see you can buy an interesting alternative made in Manchester......

http://www.at-the-creamery.co.uk/custom-handwound-pickups-from-the-creamery/wide-range-thinline-humbucker-replacements.html

Not sure what kind of tones you like. You might prefer to have a custom pickguard made and drop in some Gibson sized alternatives? This wouldn't be cheap, either- as I'm sure you've surmised. You might get a company to rewind your existing pickups, which would save some cash.

Hope I've given you somewhere to start looking from......... good luck. :)

Aye, I was looking at the creamery earlier but either their website or offshore tinternet - probably the latter - is being a dick. I'd rather keep it looking like a 72 custom so wouldn't want to just put in a normal humbucker - probably should've mentioned that before.

Both pretty expensive options, especially the yank lad. might see about getting the creamery to re-wire the shit out of my stock pickup.

Cheers