aberdeen-music

The Car Thread, Yay!! (No bus users allowed)

paime

I see it as common sense that when I'm driving, I'm already in a position of power before an accident, being faster, far more visible and above all, completely safe from injury from the direct actions of cyclists and pedestrians.

As an aside, I think car drivers should be planning for potential accidents from the beginning of the journey.  If you're adapting to changing conditions and potential hazards, there really shouldn't be a point where you're in a collision that is particularly debatable regarding who is at fault.

Nonsense. You can't "plan" for things like that. There's a difference between "planning" and being aware of your surroundings (the former is impossible, whereas you should definitely be doing the latter as soon as you get behind the wheel).

And indeed, getting angry at people skateboarding on the pavement is a thing that boring wankers do, yet is probably far more likely to injure a third party.  Yet when a bicycle rider take to the road, it's the social norm to get fucking furious with them because you get in heaps of shite for driving into them with a big car.

And indeed, getting angry at people skateboarding on the pavement is a thing that boring wankers do, yet is probably far more likely to injure a third party.  Yet when a bicycle rider take to the road, it's the social norm to get fucking furious with them because you get in heaps of shite for driving into them with a big car.

Pointless point is pointless.

I just personally think that having to register and pass a test as a bicycle rider is about as necessary as having to sit a formal exam to cross the road.

Why? I think I should feel comfortable knowing that all road users have passed a test to confirm they understand the implications of their actions whilst using roads.

The issue I have is with the ones that cycle down the middle of the road, no lights, all dark clothing, no helmet, not indicating when they are turning round a corner and they shout at drivers because they haven't been seen, or the ones that ride two abreast on narrow roads, and give pissy looks when you "force" them to do what they should be doing anyway.

Do they even do cycling proficiency any more? 

I don't think it's unreasonable to have to go through some minor form of road test.  Not as lengthy as a full car/motorcycle test but still one to make sure they obey the rules to make it safe for themselves as well as others.

Cyclists seem to get very precious about people questioning the behaviour of some cyclists on the road.  Yes a lot of them are very good and have reflective clothing but there are also a lot of others that don't do anything to help themselves.  Sort of like the many good drivers who give them lots of room and also the monster in the X5 that is always referred to.

Guest davetherave

My previous three cars in order of ownership (same colours and spec), changed to a mini cooper last year (non standard) as its cheaper to run!! You can fit guitars and amps in fine with the back seats down :)

Honda civic type R (200 BHP)

picture01h.jpg

Abarth 500 essesse (160 BHP)

2012-Fiat-500-Abarth1.jpg

Mazda MPS (220 bhp)

mazda3-mps-side-03-06-07.jpg

I don't think it's unreasonable to have to go through some minor form of road test.  Not as lengthy as a full car/motorcycle test but still one to make sure they obey the rules to make it safe for themselves as well as others.

Cyclists seem to get very precious about people questioning the behaviour of some cyclists on the road.  Yes a lot of them are very good and have reflective clothing but there are also a lot of others that don't do anything to help themselves.  Sort of like the many good drivers who give them lots of room and also the monster in the X5 that is always referred to.

Motorist liability aside, I do think that cyclists owe it to themselves to educate themselves in the safest way to ride.  It's quite a trick middle ground though.  Most bicycle fatalities are in fact due to the rider cycling too conservatively, as opposed to being an overly-aggressive road hog.

Unfortunately, the safest way to ride has a lot of practices that tend to piss off the classic 'you don't pay any road tax!' motorists: maintaining a strong road position so you have some manoeuvring room if someone tried to overtake too closely, or passing by a tailback of grumpy commuters to get to the front where you're more visible.  Of course, not everyone is an  X5 wanker, and it's definitely more fun cycling in a way that doesn't command a heap of abuse.  However, getting called a mother fucker by some dude in Lycra hurts a lot less than getting doored.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is it a 2.5 V6 in these? I've always preferred them to the Focus RS which is a bit of a nonsense.

Nah it's a 2.5l Turbo Volvo engine I believe. It's very quick and the RS is a bit too powerful for what it is. I test drove one and it wheel spun constantly and every time I turned a corner, I thought I was going to die. Also, the seats aren't comfy. The ST I've got is the ST3 with full leather heated seats and heated windscreen. I live in Balmedie and work in Westhill and it averages 21.9MPG which is a little expensive. But it's fun.

Since Bradley Wiggins won Tour de France and Chris Hoy won some medals I've noticed a fair increase in the amount of lycra clad cyclists out here in Banffshire. In fact the cycle club that started here last summer now has over 60 members.They all go out for a cycle run on Saturday morning, altogether and at the same time. Makes getting to work such a nightmare that I actually use a different, longer route. I don't mind cyclists at all but the cycle club are the worst type of pricks. I'm part of group that organises fundraising for local groups and we are having a cycle race challange (you are not allowed to encourage racing..) and the amount of Health and safety stuff we've had to organise and put in place to be allowed to have 100 cyclists go around a fairly rural and quiet route is staggering. The cycle club dinna give a fuck about that though. Blasting down the main road all over the place like sperm headed for a round about shaped egg and not a proper roundabout at that. One of those painted ovals in the middle of the road that no one seems to know how to work properly.

Carnage. Lycra based madness.

Kill them with magnets!

My previous three cars in order of ownership (same colours and spec), changed to a mini cooper last year (non standard) as its cheaper to run!! You can fit guitars and amps in fine with the back seats down :)

Abarth 500 essesse (160 BHP)

2012-Fiat-500-Abarth1.jpg

Yup, those lil fiats are flyers, I was "motoring" about 80mph up the stoney dueller in the old mkiv golf, and an abarth passed me going up the hilll like I was standing still!

So I traded the mkiv for a mkv gti heh..., :)

(actually the mkiv got badly vandalised by homophobes).. :(.

Edited by Lyin Ryan