aberdeen-music

Sad news: Ewan Robertson aka Offshore has passed away

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

From Ninja Tune's website:

It is with great sadness that we have to tell you that Ewan Robertson aka Offshore has died. Ewan has been a stalwart of the Big Dada label for many years, first as a volunteer while he studied graphic design at St Martins, secondly, with Oscar Bauer, as one of the greatest designers ever to work for Ninja Tune or Big Dada, responsible for iconic covers such as the Wiley 'black playground' image for Playtime Is Over, the Roots Manuva slime-head for Slime & Reason and Bonobo's Black Sands triptych. Lastly, Ewan became one of Big Dada's recording artists as Offshore, when he played us some of the music he was working on and we were once again blown away by his talent and the originality of his vision.

An incredibly subtle man, part of his talent was to make difficult things look easy. His recent record, Bake Haus, was one such example, apparently thrown off without breaking a sweat, but actually the result of considerable thought and skill - the minimalism a deliberate choice, beautifully delivered on. He was also, in addition to his many talents, one of the finest individuals we have had the honour of working with - straightforward, positive, funny and understated, he was a proper gent. We will miss him terribly and send all our love to Jen and his family, whose loss is so much greater.

Really tragic stuff, only spoke to him the other day and was planning a catch up over Christmas. One of the nicest guys I've ever met, who would always send paragraphs of feedback when me and the other Tuff Wax artists first came up and would email him our amateurish beats. A bloke who was so modest about his acclaimed music, not only because of the sheer percentage of his time which he poured into his art & design work. A true gent & an inspirational Aberdonian artist. My thoughts & condolences go out to his family.

• Upvote 1

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Ewan on the Boiler Room earlier this year. All the Tuff Wax crew got the beers in and crowded round our TV to cheer him on live as it happened - fond memories.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Sad news indeed. I went to school with Ewan and he was one of the nicest guys you could possibly hope to meet. A real talent and a tragic loss.

Yeah, I'll be surprised if there aren't a good few folk on this board who went to school with him actually. I only met him in the last few years through his work as Offshore but I believe back in the day he was in a band called Incendo too?