aberdeen-music

Bass guitar recommendations?

Old Gold

Well, it's your call. I have one so you're welcome to try it. You also ask about basses having "adequate guts". I'm sure a 50s style P bass would have plenty guts. The L-2000 on the other hand, has guts, balls and a hell of a right hook.

I seem to recall you expressing doubt about active electronics but another potential one to buy new that comes to mind is the new Sterling (Music Man) SUB basses - in budget: http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Sterling-Ray4-SUB-Bass-Black-Gloss~ID~17574.asp

Again, if you look second hand then you could pick up a Music Man SUB (the first, American made series) for about £350. They are excellent basses also.

Maybe I'll shut up now, I don't know if I'm helping or hindering here ;)

I can't speak for the Sterling SUBs, but I've got a regular Sterling Ray 34 and love it to bits. I was worried about active electronics too, but find it really responsive and controllable. Plenty of growl and bite and impressive build quality. About the only thing I don't like about it is that the headstock is lacquered and the neck is matt and there's a pretty harsh line between the two, feels a bit odd when you're playing that low down the neck. That's the only thing I would change. If the SUBs are anywhere near as good as the Sterlings, I'd consider buying one as a backup.

Hrmmm... I tried out a bass with a humbucker on it today, and unfortunately the sound really didn't do it for me compared to a standard jazz bass setup. Unless one of those switches works as a coil splitter or something?

Parallel/Series. My one has a single coil wiring mod - replace the middle switch with a 4PDT on/on/on and wire it appropriately. Also, the preamp has a "treble boost" mode, which does what you would expect from the name.

And apart from that, all I can add is:

Again, if you look second hand then you could pick up a Music Man SUB (the first, American made series) for about £350. They are excellent basses also.

I can definitely recommend one of the American made SUB series basses - I have the Sterling model and it is an absolutely stunning instrument. When I bought that I ended up choosing between that and the G&L L2000, and in the end went for the Musicman mainly for the fact the Sterling has a jazz style neck, while the L2000 has a fatter precision style one, and the being made in the US factory alongside the multi thousand pound instruments is always appreciated. So despite my eventual choice, the G&L still comes highly recommended too.