aberdeen-music

Bass guitar recommendations?

Old Gold

It's not just the five strings, but also the three toggle switches and five knobs. Now why on Earth would bass players need to overcompensate...

Exactly,

Bassist: "Did you hear when I switched to both my pickups to parallel series and beefed up the EQ in the middle eight, it was beasting."

Everyone else on the planet: "No cunt cares."

• Upvote 1

It's not just the five strings, but also the three toggle switches and five knobs. Now why on Earth would bass players need to overcompensate...

There's an onboard pre-amp in the bass. Amps need controllers. Since at most venues, bass gets DI'd into the PA, having onboard electronics means a bassist still gets to control his tone.

Exactly,

Bassist: "Did you hear when I switched to both my pickups to parallel series and beefed up the EQ in the middle eight, it was beasting."

Everyone else on the planet: "No cunt cares."

This from the man who's pedal board is larger than him....?

#BURN

xx

• Upvote 1

I think about all the bassists I love. Not one of them played a 5 string (except maybe on a rare occasion before realising that the hardest thing about playing a five string is telling your parents you're gay). I can't abide them.

Stu Hamm plays a 5 periodically. I don't have much love for 'em personally, but if you're playing stuff that requires you to go beyond drop-d tuning then it makes more sense to use a 5-string (or at least use BEAD strings..) than to drop tune and have a horrid, rattly, clacky sounding cunt of a thing.. #vaginajoke

xx

I don't quite understand the hatred, but I'm not a bass player. There's some horrid looking basses about, whether they are 4 or 5 string, but if your'e getting a 5 string variation of a normally 4 string bass guitar, then there's not really much difference cosmetically:

fender%C2%AE%20deluxe%20series%20active%20jazz%20bass%C2%AE%20v%20rosewood%20board%20black%204-ply%20brown%20shell%20pg%205-string%20electric%20bass.jpg

Looks alright, and you still give yourself the option for some slap and twang as well as ball-smashing low end B grooves.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...