aberdeen-music

Bass guitar recommendations?

Old Gold

I'm looking into buying a bass guitar as my beloved rattly Westfield Jazz Bass has seen better days. Advice on a suitable replacement would be appreciated.

I'm looking for something sub-£300 (although this would be slightly flexible if something significantly better could be had) and a more classic look.

I'm looking into buying a bass guitar as my beloved rattly Westfield Jazz Bass has seen better days. Advice on a suitable replacement would be appreciated.

I'm looking for something sub-£300 (although this would be slightly flexible if something significantly better could be had) and a more classic look.

It's a predictable suggestion, but the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz basses would be a good shout if you're buying new.

I fear that the more I dwell on this, the more I'm going to end up spending. The blue version of that is preeetty fucking appealing. I've not got a lot of experience with the 50s-style P-basses... do they have adequate guts?

Knowing what I know now and playing what I've played and owning what I've owned, if I was in your situation again, there's only one thing I'd spend my money on. One of these fuckers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-1984-1987-FENDER-JAZZ-BASS-SPECIAL-made-in-Japan-All-original-/321027529219?pt=Guitar&hash=item4abebb5a03

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-1989-Power-Jazz-Bass-Special-Used-4-String-Electric-Bass-with-Gig-Bag-/170951006136?pt=Guitar&hash=item27cd7957b8

A little bit above your price range but I got one for sub £300 so keep your eyes open,

• Upvote 1

That's a shame. Maybe you should be looking to borrow in the short term, and buying just the right thing. I have a US precision, a Jap '62 reissue P-bass, a Stingray, a modified Legend P-bass and one of those. I've also owned a Warwick and a heavily modded Fodic Jazz bass and I'd seriously recommend the Jazz Special.

The G&L's a beaut, but probably a bit rich for my blood unless a real bargain grabs me.

Well, it's your call. I have one so you're welcome to try it. You also ask about basses having "adequate guts". I'm sure a 50s style P bass would have plenty guts. The L-2000 on the other hand, has guts, balls and a hell of a right hook.

I seem to recall you expressing doubt about active electronics but another potential one to buy new that comes to mind is the new Sterling (Music Man) SUB basses - in budget: http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Sterling-Ray4-SUB-Bass-Black-Gloss~ID~17574.asp

Again, if you look second hand then you could pick up a Music Man SUB (the first, American made series) for about £350. They are excellent basses also.

Maybe I'll shut up now, I don't know if I'm helping or hindering here ;)