aberdeen-music

Using Ez drummer/Superior drummer

Hog

BTW you just missed the EZ Drummer download at Audio Deluxe for £18 last weekend. :oops:

Superior 2 is a great piece of software. Confuses the shit out me sometimes, so I only use it for what I need it to do for me. Mainly I piece grooves and fills together by dragging them into my DAW track.

I use Superior Drummer 2 in Pro Tools 9.

1. I create an 'Instrument Track' with SD2 on it (which eventually just gets used solely for the kick).
  2. I then create a number of aux tracks (depending on how many kit components I need - in addition to the kick).
  3. I then use Superior's internal routing and PT9's aux track inputs to send the snare, hi-hat etc to individual aux tracks.
  4. Once I have a whole song's arrangement which I'm happy with, I'll bounce each kit component to individual audio tracks.
  5. I can then put compressors and EQs on each track to suit and send the tracks to a reverb aux and then, last but not least, the drum buss.

The same should be possible in other DAWs. Or at least a variation of it in some way. Which Daw do you use? Perhaps someone can

I used EZ Drummer years ago. Nought wrong with it. Just less processing options than SD2. Bear in mind though, EZD already comes compressed :eek: and is 16 bit. This didn't stop me from doing stuff I enjoyed though.

BM.

The virtual keyboard on my laptop was lagging too much so I bought a nanopad, it's ace. I also use an m-audio interface and run my guitars through amplitube or guitar rig. They're nice pieces of kit for cheap but I find them a little bit laggy - could just be that my laptop sucks....

I think most DAW's will let you run the drums the way blue mountain describes, reaper can do it automatically if you tell it to. Not sure I'd go to that trouble for demos but I think it would sound awesome for full productions!

I've not done any recording for ages this way. These days I mostly use garageband or imaschine on my ipad for jotting down ideas, It's quicker and less fuss.

I think most DAW's will let you run the drums the way blue mountain describes, reaper can do it automatically if you tell it to. Not sure I'd go to that trouble for demos but I think it would sound awesome for full productions!

Yeh...EZDrummer for demos for defo. I think you'd be happy with it. It's a good piece of software with lots of expansion packs available. You can drag and drop grooves into your midi track just like SD2. You can split the different kit parts in EZDrummer too - if you wanted to. I'm sure it can be done, albeit a bit fiddly. I'd still be happily using EZD it if SD2 hadn't come about.

@Hog

Just letting you know that I received an email from - http://www.rubadub.co.uk/

They have Superior Drummer 2 and EZDrummer on Special right now. £109 and £54 respectively. Although their website has Superior 2 for £54, their eBay is £109. In my opinion, I'd say the website price is an error and meant to be £109 as per their eBay below. I doubt if they'd have SD2 the same price as EZDrummer. However, if you want to take a punt and get SD2 for £54 through the website and hope they'll be good for it, then it is up to you. I might cause some transactional issues. Might be best you check with them first.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toontrack-EZ-Drummer-Drum-Sample-Software-/261070382172?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item3cc901e45c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toontrack-Superior-Drummer-2-0-Drum-Sample-Software-/260806413468?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item3cb9460c9c

Incidentally, All SDX expansion packs appear to be reduced too. :( I should never have bought a new SG 61 Reissue last week - NOT.

There we go. Ez drummer for $49. Purchased.

Nice going Hog. You should be very happy with EZDrummer.

Just reading through the post. You mention the M-Audio Box and the Mbox. These are two 'different' interfaces which people tend to mix up with one another. I have an Mbox I use on my general purpose PC. Just plug it in and you're away. I use an RME for more serious stuff. I can say that the Mbox is a fab little interface. You could do some serious music and good demos on this. The pre amps won't handle the more gain hungry mics out there like the Shure SM7b. However, regular dynamic mics and condensers will be cool.

By the way, I advise that you 'do' get an interface which has MIDI. If you don't, you may end up kicking yourself later down the line if you wish to use a soft synths or such like. A friend of mine got the Mbox Mini (lesser version of the Mbox) which doesn't have MIDI and regrets it. Now he's away to get an Mbox.

Nice going Hog. You should be very happy with EZDrummer.

Just reading through the post. You mention the M-Audio Box and the Mbox. These are two 'different' interfaces which people tend to mix up with one another. I have an Mbox I use on my general purpose PC. Just plug it in and you're away. I use an RME for more serious stuff. I can say that the Mbox is a fab little interface. You could do some serious music and good demos on this. The pre amps won't handle the more gain hungry mics out there like the Shure SM7b. However, regular dynamic mics and condensers will be cool.

By the way, I advise that you 'do' get an interface which has MIDI. If you don't, you may end up kicking yourself later down the line if you wish to use a soft synths or such like. A friend of mine got the Mbox Mini (lesser version of the Mbox) which doesn't have MIDI and regrets it. Now he's away to get an Mbox.

Most companies are making USB compatible midi synths and controllers now though aren't they?

Most companies are making USB compatible midi synths and controllers now though aren't they?

They sure are.

I have a couple of Arturia products like this. I think it's a great idea. The good thing about USB MIDI is that it enables multiple devices if need be (DAW dependent mind you). I just hope the manufacturers continue to include the traditional MIDI option too. If you own or come by an older model of keyboard/synth then you're beat if you don't have traditional MIDI on your interface.

For me personally. Although I like the plug and play aspect, I prefer to have the option of using traditional MIDI connections as I have a shitload of USB dongles.

Unfortunately I have an old school shitty midi keyboard. So Midi shall be required if I ever try to venture into the world of Kontakt/Native instruments products.

Next purchase shall be Toontracks EZ mix :)

Don't have a clue what EZ Mix is....I'll need to check it out.

By the way...Native Instruments 'Vintage Keys' and 'Vintage Organs' are cool. Damn that Rhodes and Clavinet sure kill.