aberdeen-music

"Your Favourite albums of 2012" Thread

A good friend of mine looked at me with pure disgust when I said I had never heard of this band. Luckily, they released an album just in time for me to save face, and what an album it is.

Genuine LOL when I read that.

Official Epitaph stream of the new Converge album. Can't wait for this.

Before I listen, what type of music are they?
They make music of type "rad"

Press Play.

Hardcore punk. They dabble in bits of grind and mathy stuff, and bits of it sounds like polished screamo from 10 years ago. It's just loud, and vicious. Get it in your lugs! Kurt Ballou is the boy.
I can't believe you've never heard Converge.

Kinda like an opposite hipster. I thought EVERYONE with even a slight interest in hardcore would have heard Converge.

It's funny because everyone hates Jake.

xx

• Upvote 1

Here's my top 20.

A few honourable mentions first, Beach House, Jessie Ware, Lana Del Rey, Tame Impala, Killler Mike, Bass Clef, Voices from the Lake, the xx, Deadbeat

Most of those I just haven't listened to enough yet to properly rank them but I do like them a lot.

20. Daphni|Jialong

19. NHK'Koyxen|Dance Classics Vol.1

18. Crystal Castles|(III)

17. Sharon Van Etten|Tramp

16. Grizzly Bear|Shields

15. Legowelt|The Paranormal Soul

14. Frank Ocean|Channel Orange

13. Grimes|Visions

12. Andy Stott|Luxury Problems

11. Marina and the Diamonds|Electra Heart

10. Yo La Tengo|Fade

09. Thorunn Antonia|Star Crossed

08. John Talabot|fin

07. Alex Winston| King Con

06. Terrence Dixon|From the far Future Vol.2

05. Ke$ha|Warrior

04. The Tallest Man On Earth|There's No Leaving Now

03. Actress|R.I.P

02. Kendrick Lamaar|Good Kid, M.a.a.D City

01. Burial|Kindred / Truant+Rough Sleeper

Kind of cheated a bit on my number 1 pick, but who cares?

Some good albums in there. However I'd have to disagree somewhat about you wrote for the Sharon Van Etten album. Great as it is I don't think it's actually as good as the previous one. I was initially slightly disappointed with it actually. One of the best gigs I went to this year though.

Eh, I really liked the last album but there's something about 'Tramp' that just does it for me that little bit more than 'Crimes'. Still, each to their own. Yours is a decent list too, I enjoyed that Actress album but there were too many good albums this year. Writing that Top 10 was an absolute bastard.

Nice to see KT put the Felix album in her top ten. That's an overlooked gem.

It's a lovely album and if I'd had longer with it I've no doubt it would have been higher up my list.

Here's my "definitive" top 10 then. A wee bit of a re-jig after re-listening to things. I haven't heard the Grouper record yet though, and have just discovered Nazoranai, so it's likely to change again. For a second there, I thought a Yo La Tengo record had completely passed me by, but I'll be looking forward to that next year, and Nick Cave.

http://www.herculesmoments.co.uk/2012/12/albums-of-2012-claire.html

Do you mean "Epic" or does she have something else I don't know about? :confused:

I still really liked Tramp, it made my top 20 and Serpents is one of my songs of the year but I thought it had a bit of filler that Epic didn't have.

I meant 'Epic'. My favourite track from which is 'A Crime'. I was thinking about Grimes' album (which I also enjoyed) whilst writing that reply. Hence, 'Crimes'.

Django Django - Django Django. Default was easily my favourite song this year. Great debut all round.

Japandroids - Celebration Rock. Great to see so many people liking this album. The House That Heaven Built and Continuous Thunder are a great way to end the album.

The Cribs - In the Belly of the Brazen Bull. Balls out rock, get in!

Sigur Ros - Valtari. Not their best album but I always hoped they'd write one like this. Really good chill out album.

Paul Weller - Sonik Kicks. Haven't bought a Weller album for ages and I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan but this is a cracker. The singles in particular were really catchy.

Frightened Rabbit - State Hospital EP. Not an album but absolutely loved this and got me listening to a ridiculous amount of FR since.

I also made a Spotify playlist of the songs I have enjoyed most this year. I’m still not 100% happy with this mix and feel that it is missing a few that I can’t put my finger on. I’ll update it should I regain my memory, but for now, the tracklist is…

Errors - Tusk

Thomas Truax - March Winds

Islet - Entwined Pines

Ty Segall - You’re The Doctor**

Liars - A Ring On Every Finger

Dexys - I’m Always Going To Love You

The Mountain Goats - The Diaz Brothers

The Men - Turn It Around**

Tweak Bird - People

Jens Lekman - Become Someone Else’s

Japandroids - The House That Heaven Built

Chain and the Gang - ‘Nuff Said

Dinosaur Jr - I Know It Oh So Well

Diiv - Past Lives

Divine Fits - Flaggin’ A Ride

Mac Demarco - Cooking Up Something Good

The Islet and Mac Demarco tracks are my favourites of the year, despite not being from the album I most enjoyed this year (Japandroids, obviously).

**For some reason, Spotify seem to have an on/off relationship with Ty Segall’s ‘Twins’ and The Men’s ‘Open Your Heart’. Sometimes they’re available, sometimes they aren’t. So if they aren’t showing, here are the tracks…

• Upvote 1