aberdeen-music

"Your Favourite albums of 2012" Thread

I'm going for:-

The Raveonettes - Observator

Spiritualized - Sweet Heart. Sweet Light

Crippled Black Phoenix - Mankind (The Crafty Ape)

Anais Mitchell - Young Man In America

Brendon Benson - What Kind Of World

Sharon van Etten - Tramp

Dirty 3 - Toward The Low Sun

Bat For Lashes - The Haunted Man

Cat Power - Sun

The Hives - Lex Hives

St Vincent - Stranger Mercy

Celebration Rock by Japandroids really took me by surprise. It's awesome, knife's edge rock n' roll from start to finish (with a slightly wonky cover thrown in). Its sincerity works really well for it. No "rawk" irony, no posturing. Just dudes in ripped jeans singing about girls and highways and drinking.

Attack on Memory by Cloud Nothings worked similarly, but was more bleak and post-hardcore-y.

Drokk: Music From Mega-City One by Geoff Barrow and Ben Salisbury probably should have been something I listened to once while reading Judge Dredd, but I can't stop coming back to it. It's like John Carpenter broke out a bunch of vintage synths and went to town on them. It's also really great to listen to this while walking through a shopping centre and pretending you're in a bad future city and tanoys are all like "fat citizens must report for conversion to fuel at 1300. Failure to comply will be answered with forced disintegration" and there are cops in gas masks everywhere.

The Money Store by Death Grips is like the music the rebels who wear military wear and bandanas would listen to in the bad future. They would have a secret base inside an old sewer or something. I think the amount of hype around Death Grips made 'No Love Deep Web' slightly disappointing in comparison, however.

Kill for Love by Chromatics is brilliant too. It sounds like a haunted disco once the lights go up.

Also good:

Errors, Grimes, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion, Mind Spiders, Santigold, Symmetry*, Beak, Bob Mould

Disappointing:

Sleigh Bells clearly didn't have more than one album's worth of material in them.

Prince Rama's 'Top Ten Hits for the End of the World' had a cool concept but was pretty poor.

The new Crystal Castles is forgettable, but I'm one of those morons who like them more when they're shouty and silly.

Stuff from 2011 I caught up on that I liked:

Jay-Z and Kanye West, Justice, Veronica Falls, Office of Future Plans

*came out late last year, but the vinyl I ordered didn't come out until June or something.

Have been trying to work this out, although I still feel like it's a bit early to know for sure. Anyway, here's a top ten. The order is sort of important but in some ways is a bit arbitrary. The top one is definitely the favourite though:

1. Julia Holter 'Ekstasis'

2. Dean Blunt and Inga Copeland 'Black is Beautiful'

3. Laurel Halo 'Quarantine'

4. Dark Dark Dark 'Who Needs Who'

5. Tenniscoats 'Papa's Ear' (although I could put their 'All Aboard' too)

6. Teen 'In Limbo'

7. Holly Herndon 'Movement'

8. Andy Stott 'Luxury Problems'

9. Jo Mango 'Murmurations'

10. Felix 'Oh Holy Molar'

Some honorable mentions to albums by Actress, Cate Le Bon, DIIV, Field Music, Flying Lotus, Grass Widow, Group Rhoda, Human Don't Be Angry, Land Observations, Lower Dens, Maria Minerva (on her own and with LA Vampires), Nat Johnson and the Figureheads, Nite Jewel, RM Hubbert, Sera Cahoone, Sharon van Etten, Sir Richard Bishop and Two Wings. Really a lot of good albums this year and in other years a lot of those would be in my top ten.

Disappointing: I didn't think much of the new Emeralds album, although perhaps I need to listen to a bit more. The new Peaking Lights wasn't great but was still okay.

Live: I didn't go to as many gigs as I'd like but I enjoyed seeing Bonnie Prince Billy and Wild Flag in Glasgow, Julia Holter (twice), Field Music (twice), Tune-Yards, Cate Le Bon and Dark Dark Dark at Green Man, Papa M at Field Day, Jo Mango, Bill Wells and Aidan Moffat, RM Hubbert, Hanna Tuulikki (twice) and Human Don't Be Angry. The best live set I saw was an astonishing show by Laurel Halo at Field Day.

Japandroids ~ Celebration Rock

Possibly the finest anthemic rock album I've ever heard, every (original) track is a winner, and the songs are played with such enthusiam and intensity, I doubt anyone could resist head bopping along to Fire's Highway.

The sheer number of people putting this record in their list made me spotify it. I had heard a couple of Japandroids tunes before and enjoyed them but they didn't quite grab me enough to make me want to plunge into a whole record of theirs.

This album is fucking excellent though. Brimming with energy but still managing to keep a poppy, light hearted edge.

xx

• Upvote 2

Ah, time for my annual "I didn't really buy that many albums this year" post. I think this is my entire haul for the year.

Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls

Beach Boys - That's Why God Made The Radio

Beach House - Bloom

Ben Folds Five - Sound Of The Life Of The Mind

Grizzly Bear - Shields

Jack White - Blunderbuss

Japandroids - Celebration Rock

Marilyn Manson - Born Villian

MGK - Half Naked & Almost Famous

Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday : Roman Reloaded

Paloma Faith - Fall To Grace

Regina Spektor - What We Saw From The Cheap Seats

Tenacious D - Rise Of The Fenix

Some good albums in there. However I'd have to disagree somewhat about you wrote for the Sharon Van Etten album. Great as it is I don't think it's actually as good as the previous one. I was initially slightly disappointed with it actually. One of the best gigs I went to this year though.

That was pretty much my view of Tramp too. I've still never seen her live and would really like to though. I heard 'Give Out' being played in Starbucks the other day. That was a bit weird.

Nice to see KT put the Felix album in her top ten. That's an overlooked gem.

here are some other records i've heard + enjoyed this year that haven't been mentioned yet

Lotus Plaza - Spooky Action At A Distance

Grouper/Tiny Vipers - Mirroring

The Yawns - The Yawns

Chris Cohen - Overgrown Path

How Deep Is The Valley - Hardcore Carnivore

We're Only Afraid of NYC - zero.four

also - the new Sebadoh e.p. > new Dino jr.

also - i've seen no mention of Fiona Apple in this thread. is this because her new record is terrible QuestionMarkBlockNSMB.png