aberdeen-music

Hockey thread

Soda Jerk

Got an Email back regarding Gamecenter.

It's gonna be $49.99 all in, or two instalments of $24.99. No blackouts for UK customers, so we get all the Playoffs. Subscriptions should be open by the end of the day today ET, so probably in the morning. Available on XBL as well.

Not free, but at least it's less than half price. It's outstanding value for folk outside of North America, as every game is unrestricted. Games shown on ESPN America don't count, so we get every single game.

YEAH!

• Upvote 2

This guy doesn't like EA Sports' NHL13, so he breaks the disc:

The EA NHL13 forums are populated by absolute lunatics who just constantly spout bloodsoaked vitriol about how NHL13 has ruined their life. If you don't like a game, you just don't play it, right? WRONG. You piss and moan, break the game disc into pieces, write damning hateful threats to the developers until the new one comes out. Obviously. The guy posted this video above in a thread on the NHL13 forums called I HATE THIS GAME!! So good.

I bought FIFA13 when it came out. It's okay, but I felt a bit 'meh' about it, so I sold it. Perhaps I should've strapped dynamite to my chest, and burst through the window of Electronic Arts' offices in Canada taking no survivors?

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=193243&cmpid=embed-share-video

Todd Bertuzzi penalty shot in Red vs White training match. The commentators are saying how he's all about being physical and not about skill, then he drops an egg on their face with this. Swish.

The video that plays right after is Zetterberg getting the captaincy. I love how hockey playing Europeans mostly have Canadian accents, (except the Russians, I guess). The hockey accent.

Turns out that any games which are being shown live on Premier Sports will be blacked out on GCL in the UK for 48 hours.

Total shit. It isn't even a channel available to everyone! Virgin Media folk can't even get it if they want it so it shouldn't affect Gamecenter at all. Not happy about that one bit!

Even worse is they are showing the Avs and Stars at the Wild (our first 2 games of the season) live so I'll be restricted from watching either of them!

Where did you find that out? I spoke to one of the guys on the live chat cos I was having Paypal issues when registering Gamecenter. He says the UK receives zero blackout restrictions. He was aware games are shown in the UK on speciality channels on satellite TV so they don't count. Apparently.

No Red Wings games on Premier Sports until 26th January, when the Wings play the Wild, who are on 3 times in a week.

I hope it's not true. I was pumped about watching Penguins/Flyers on Saturday night, but it's live on Premier.

Also, I read that alot of folk in the States use a Proxy to re-route their DNS identity to get around Blackouts. They select the UK as we don't (or shouldn't) have any blackout restrictions.

EDIT: Ok, no, I just read the Premier Sports website. It seems to be a new agreement, which they didn't do last season. Arse.

http://www.premiersports.tv/top/ice-hockey/nhl/viewing-updates4/

Better find out how Proxys work. I'll miss a bunch of live games, but I don't wanna wait 2 whole days to watch the replay.

Here is the news we have all been waiting for (no double-checking done yet but here it is):

"Thanks for your feedback. Any games appearing on Premier Sports will be blacked out live in NHL GameCenter LIVE. This includes up to 15 games per week. These games will be available for access 48 hours after the conclusion of the live game in the NHL GameCenter LIVE on-demand." GCL support

response to fan as posted on Premier Sports fb page

There is a group I (and Teabags for that matter) are part of on facebook where it has been a strong topic of late. I'll get you added to it.

Seems that this stipulation is the questionable bit:

The GCL terms and conditions state "National broadcasts may include games televised on the following networks in your area: CBC, NBC, NBC Sports Network, NHL Network, RDS and TSN. Games broadcast live on these networks - regardless of whether they are available with your cable or satellite package - are not available to watch in NHL GameCenter LIVE™ until 48 hours after the game is complete."

In other words, if the game is shown on a national broadcaster, even if you cannot receive it as part of your TV package, it seems like it will still be blacked out, as far as I understand the above (even though PS is not one of the listed channels).

Will just have to wait until Saturday night to find out I suppose.

Either that or I'll have to find out how much Premier Sports is and get both of them.