aberdeen-music

Hockey thread

Soda Jerk

TSN's Aaron Ward, Darren Dreger and Pierre LeBrun, outlined the features of the new agreement as follows;

- The players' share of hockey-related revenue will drop from 57 percent to a 50-50 split for all 10 years. There is an opt-out of the 10 year deal after 8 years.

- The Year 2 salary cap is set at $64.3 million. The Year 2 salary floor will be $44 million.

- The salary variance on contracts from year to year cannot vary more than 35 per cent and the final year cannot vary more than 50 per cent of the highest year.

- A player contract term limit for free agents will be seven years and eight years for a team signing its own player.

- The draft lottery selection process will change with all 14 teams fully eligible for the first overall pick. The weighting system for each team may remain, but four-spot move restriction will be eliminated.

- Free agency will open July 1 in the new agreement. But with a later ending to this season, free agency for this summer will start at a later date.

Looks like more if a win for the NHLPA and Don Fehr than for the league.

The salary variance and contract term length are both good things and should help stop these ridiculous frot loaded long term deals like Luongo, Weber, Parise, Kovalchuk etc. Draft lottery process is also interesting (until Edmonton get number 1 pick again and then continue to suck, of course).

Looks like more if a win for the NHLPA and Don Fehr than for the league.

The salary variance and contract term length are both good things and should help stop these ridiculous frot loaded long term deals like Luongo, Weber, Parise, Kovalchuk etc. Draft lottery process is also interesting (until Edmonton get number 1 pick again and then continue to suck, of course).

If the weighted system gets removed, it'll be a complete joke - wouldn't it just mean teams facing a first round blowout in the playoffs would tank instead towards the end of the season to have a shot at a top 3 draft pick? I guess the point is to try and reduce the chances of a Lindros style situation happening again - but there was really nothing wrong with the old system.

But for the love of God, Bettman, admit defeat and let Quebec have a team again. Winnepeg is a roaring success, Quebec are building an NHL-standard rink - heck, even Minnesota could support a second team if needs be.

If the weighted system gets removed, it'll be a complete joke - wouldn't it just mean teams facing a first round blowout in the playoffs would tank instead towards the end of the season to have a shot at a top 3 draft pick?
I doubt it. Los Angeles barely made it into the playoffs and then ended up winning a Stanley Cup in only 20 games, defeating all 3 Western conference division champions in no more than 5 games. Any team with a chance in the playoffs will go for it rather than tank. And with hwo close things are that includes team that from 6th-12th in the conference will compete for a spot up until the last game. If they're going to tank it they'll make the decision a lot earlier in the season.

This'll be my first time giving Gamecenter a go, when the season eventually starts. Does it not usually include the playoffs?
It did if you bought it at the start of the season the last two season. People that bought it with 1/3rd of the season to go didn't get the playoffs for free. So if I'm buying it as soon as the season actually start, it better include playoffs.

It was always predicted to happen, but Zetterberg got the captaincy now Lidstrom is gone, it's now confirmed. Probably the best choice, but Kronwall or Datsyuk both would have been good shouts, though apparently Pavel doesnt speak much English.

Holmstrom has also retired. Homer was quite the unsung hero. It's quite easy to forget he won 4 cups.

Keeping Datsyuk as assistant captain is the best choice they could make. He's only really that because he's the best offensive player in my opinion. He really doesn't like to talk but does get passionate on the ice.

Still expecting playoffs despite the obvious massive loss left in the team. Not really expecting a run at the cup but once you're in the postseason anything can happen!

The fans on the NHL.com forums seem to think that no season at all would be better than a half season, and that winning the cup in a half season will be "tainted". That place is annoying. Everyone is just mad all the time. I'm pretty excited about the shortened season. Things tend to really heat up after Christmas anyway, so it's all about consistency. Can't afford to lose too many games, where as there's alot of wiggle room in an 82 gamer.

I have a hunch for the Rangers this year. Keep the cup out of California!

Those fucking assholes. They better sort it out. I bought a laptop in the summer so I could plug it into my TV especially for this.

Been watching all the Sabres player interviews, so getting excited. John Scott saying he doesn't want to give anything away but he's going to circle the first Boston game on his calendar. Ace.

Scott Gomez has been sent home by the Canadiens. Not allowed to play any hockey at all to make sure he doesn't get injured so that they can buy him out after this season. Sucks to be him but he's about to get paid like 10 million for not playing, so not all bad I guess. I still haven't forgiven him for this:

Those fucking assholes. They better sort it out. I bought a laptop in the summer so I could plug it into my TV especially for this.

I read it was being introduced on Xbox Live for this season, though that was back in the summer when they were probably expecting a full season.

There's also rumours (possibly made up) that as a gesture to the fans, the NHL are going to make Gamecenter free for the shortened season. So who knows?! They've got less than a week to pull their fingers out anyway. I don't wanna miss the opening weekend. Everyone's going to be pissed off. The atmosphere will be strange, as I'm sure the fans feel a bit ripped off, and the players are all mad as hell. Hopefully the Penguins and the Flyers will just murder each other.