aberdeen-music

Hockey thread

Soda Jerk

I know Teabags is a fan. Any more on here?

The current NHL lockout is bogus. The one season I decide to take the punt on the Gamecenter package, and the season doesn't even start. The NHLPA finally started to budge on their proposals, but the NHL aren't. The whole reason the proposal seems so difficult is because the NHL want to make as much money as possible, yet the league is losing money with every day that goes by. Most fans now seem to want no season at all than a possible 46 game season starting in January. Shitter.

Been watching the AHL instead for now, following the Griffins. They are toss, but somehow standing 3rd in the conference and won their last 5. They've been dismal for years, but Nyquist is killing it. Hopefully the Red Wings will give him a shot if he keeps having a good season this year. Holmstrom can't go on too much longer.

the Euro leagues are pretty great at the moment too, especially since a heap of NHL players are playing in Europe whilst the NHL is dead. The Swiss league is great, and the only I've watched the most so far.

Talk hockey and that.

Lidstrom has been a constant at the Red Wings since I first got into Hockey. When the season finally starts, it will be weird to see the Wings without him. I'm not sure who is going to step up in his place. Kronwall is very good, and White is decent. I'm not sure who else is much good in the defence though. Hopefully Zetterberg will get the captaincy. Can't see who else would be ahead of him. Love that guy.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/48876-Forget-about-that-twoweek-break-NHL-labour-talks-set-to-resume-Monday-in-NYC.html

The NHL and the NHLPA decided to take two weeks off from negotiations last week. Thankfully someone somewhere decided that's a fucking dumb idea, and the bickering between the millionaires and billionaires resumes on Monday.

They pretty much have to thrash out a deal this week, otherwise the next round of fixtures will be slashed. COME ON!

hi-res-52459847_crop_650x440.jpg?1352990257

When the NHL season starts, I'm finally gonna get Game Center. It's subscription based, but it works out at less than £16 per month to watch any game ever, live, replayed, condensed highlights etc. That's alot of games. Center Ice is a similar set up, but Game Canter seems to be the more popular of the two. Both work out to be great value for those based outside of North America, as you can watch games based on your IP address. If a game is on your local TV station, you can't watch it on Game Center or Center Ice. You can only watch "Out of Market" games. In the UK, every game is out of market. Bargain.

There are plenty of sports streaming websites found easily on Google, the type which probably aren't allowed to be posted on here. They are patchy and unreliable though.

Whilst the NHL is imploding on itself, you can watch AHL highlights for free which is alright, but it's a shame the playback is so poor. Some of the highlights don't even have sound. You can buy a season pass for higher quality playback, but for some reason it's more than double the price of an NHL Game Center subscription, so fuck that.

I think you get something like 16 out of 40 games per week in HD, depending on who is broadcasting it. Alot of locally broadcast games aren't HD, but still really good quality. If it's on a local television station, you also have the choice of listening to the local commentary instead, for ultimate bias and slagging off of the other team. Pretty great. Especially when the opposing team scores, and they don't even announce who scored it, and just start talking about the home team again.

I don't know if there is going to be a dip in price with Game Center with the likelihood of there only being a half-season, if any season at all. The whole hog is something like $170, and they break it up into 8 instalments per month. If the season eventually gets rolls out, I hope they drop the price for the shortened season, or I might not bother with it.

I once found an Old firm game online with commentary done by a foul mouthed Celtic fan. Biased commentary is the best. Kyle Lafferty got sent off and the commentator's response was incredible "Kyle Lafferty, SPL player of the year? Noo yer a big dick!"

They'll surely have to drop the price if the season starts, seems pretty harsh charging people full whack for half the games.

I once found an Old firm game online with commentary done by a foul mouthed Celtic fan. Biased commentary is the best. Kyle Lafferty got sent off and the commentator's response was incredible "Kyle Lafferty, SPL player of the year? Noo yer a big dick!"

They'll surely have to drop the price if the season starts, seems pretty harsh charging people full whack for half the games.

The lockout has caused the NHL to lose close to half a billion dollars already. The NHL nor the NHLPA are taking responsibility for it, so I wouldn't be surprised if they penalised the fans for it by charging them full whack for season tickets and Game Center subscriptions. People will pay it because everyone is itching to see hockey again, but it would suck if that was the case.

Buffalo Sabres

The lockout talks are a fucking shambles. I was all "fuck Bettman" but now I'm all "fuck all y'all!". In all honesty, I would rather see them cancel the whole season if it meant there won't be another lockout for at least 10 fucking years. The NHL never had a lockout till Bettman was in charge. This is the 3rd. What a cunt.

Been watching Rochester Americans mainly this season. They are kicking ass cos we had a bunch of young players that were ready for a spot in the NHL playing for them due to the lockout. Cody Hodgson, TJ Brennan, Brayden McNabb and most notably Marcus Foligno will all be at the next Sabres training camp for sure. Also been paying attention to Zemgus Girgensons, one of our 1st round draft picks that is playing his first professional season. Think he needs a bit longer though but the guy is gonna be a tank in a couple of years. Our other first round pick, Mikahil Grigorenko, has scored 11 goals in his past 6 games in the QMJHL so he will get a look when training camp eventually comes around.

Oh, and the one fucking Lunx home game I miss (I was in Glasgow) they go and hump Belfast 13-7. Fuck sake.

Oh, and for watching AHL games I but a single archived game for $4. I also get an overseas charge of £1.50 added to that I later found out. The feed is pretty baws but I always get to watch it with the Rochester audio and I get to watch a full game which is what matters most. There's also occasional AHL games on ESPN America which are good quality so I watch them round at Callum's. Toronto vs Hamilton a couple of weekends ago was BRUTAL. They fucking hate each other.

Watch that. Geoffrion had his head down. WOOPS. While he managed to skate off the ice on his own, after he got off he went into spasms. Depressed skull fracture. Was in intensive care and is now expected to make a full recovery but may be the end of his career. It was a perfectly legal hit though. Just unfortunate the way his head hit the ice. Real shame, Geoffrion looked to bhavea sure fire spot with the Canadiens in the NHL when the season started again.