aberdeen-music

How quickly can you type?

Adam Easy Wishes

I bet I'm very very slow. Let's see!

52_260_0_0_53_0_64.79_18388_52230

This is weird given I spend most of my time on computers and study journalism at university.

Still - how accurate is that? I mean that's really just testing your ability to work out how to type some words you have never seen before in that order, most people are bound to type quicker than that suggests.

I bet I'm very very slow. Let's see!

52_260_0_0_53_0_64.79_18388_52230

This is weird given I spend most of my time on computers and study journalism at university.

Still - how accurate is that? I mean that's really just testing your ability to work out how to type some words you have never seen before in that order, most people are bound to type quicker than that suggests.

It's definitely the best way to measure it. How else would you want it to be done? You can't test typing speed by letting people freestyle whatever words they fancy and seeing what comes out because then you're measuring how fast people can think of what words they want to type. Not an accurate method. This takes out that variable and leaves only the thing that matters - how fast you can get your fingers going. Also - in a lot of jobs where fast typing is essential you're likely to be typing someone else's words.

My fingers have warmed up now, maybe I should give it another go...

89_443_0_0_84_0_91.54_4382_51793

BOOM.

I don't think I'd be able to get close to Adam's though, not even in my days working in the data entry business was I that fast.

It's definitely the best way to measure it. How else would you want it to be done? You can't test typing speed by letting people freestyle whatever words they fancy and seeing what comes out because then you're measuring how fast people can think of what words they want to type. Not an accurate method. This takes out that variable and leaves only the thing that matters - how fast you can get your fingers going. Also - in a lot of jobs where fast typing is essential you're likely to be typing someone else's words.

Presumably if you were typing someone else's words you'd have a chance to look at them before you start ;)

Granted I don't touchtype which probably doesn't help.

Edit: a bit better this time - if I read ahead and memorise the next three words or so I do much better

64_318_0_0_61_0_74.97_12833_51264

what if you're typing from a dictaphone?

by the way, the people who do the live subtitles on BBC are atrocious.

They don't type at all. They 're-speak' - They listen to what is being said, then repeat it into speech recognition software which automatically produces it on the screen. Next time you see it, check out the words that come up wrong, they usually sound very similar to the right word, despite making no sense.

They don't type at all. They 're-speak' - They listen to what is being said, then repeat it into speech recognition software which automatically produces it on the screen. Next time you see it, check out the words that come up wrong, they usually sound very similar to the right word, despite making no sense.

it's normally on at my gym, they should just type it. it might be better and more in time.

I think what makes this slightly more difficult than normal copy typing is that you're typing gibberish. Even reading a line of gibberish is a little more stuttered than reading a sentence that flows and makes sense, in my opinion. If you are typing someone else's properly constructed sentence, it's a little easier to read ahead a few words ahead, I reckon.

I did Word Processing at college, purely as a time filler and a piss-easy certificate to do alongside IT. I was taught to touch type, but I never took to it once the course was up. I seem to touchtype with my right hand, using all 4 fingers, but only use 3 fingers on my left hand, because my left hand is shit. That's been reduced to two fingers at the moment because my ring finger is pure knackered.