aberdeen-music

Post yr current rig / set up

The last photo needs more glass and glowing bits.

(although I think that every 14 year old with a guitar should be issued with that setup through a government scheme of some kind).

But it is the glass and glowing bits that make rigs heavier and less portable!

3W solid state poweramp is probably just about right for home use and will hopefully be usable mic'd for other applications so I can't wait to get a power supply and try them properly which will hopefully be tomorrow. The Matamp is probably still too loud to really use to full potential in my flat. I will play it again tonight when my gf isn't home but honestly the other night I had the master set to about 1/5th of the way around (it has no numbers!) and I could only get the volume to about 1/3rd of the way before I started thinking about my neighbours potentially being pissed off, with a 4W head.

409615_10151937520735019_2086827060_n.jpg

Set up for the only band I play guitar in, Marionettes.

Fender American special telecaster through a Fender Hotrod deluxe via a strymon bluesky reverberator, a modded boss OD-1 (by analogue man, which I believe has tubescreamer circuitry in it but don't hold me to that), nano double muff and a tu-2. I've ditched the screaming bird treble boost and ht dual since this pic was taken. Those speakers are for show, there's no space for them in our practice basement so I use them to put things on, although I do play my orange micro terror through them occasionally.

I swap between me tele and blacktop jag for tuning/capo purposes, and I love the sound of blended humbuckers with the cleans you get from fender tube amps. Throw a bit of shimmer/plate on top and it's pretty amazing. That's another thing, the gain function on my amp is knackered but it really is a blessing in disguise; I wouldn't go near those settings these days. Clean with pedals for the win. I don't have a decent pic of the blacktop jag, this is the best I could do:

530908_10151486160705386_1182621050_n.jpg

Have also just purchased a Japanese jag built in the early 90's. I think my next guitar purchase will be something other than Fender...

is your dad a social worker?

But it is the glass and glowing bits that make rigs heavier and less portable!

3W solid state poweramp is probably just about right for home use and will hopefully be usable mic'd for other applications so I can't wait to get a power supply and try them properly which will hopefully be tomorrow. The Matamp is probably still too loud to really use to full potential in my flat. I will play it again tonight when my gf isn't home but honestly the other night I had the master set to about 1/5th of the way around (it has no numbers!) and I could only get the volume to about 1/3rd of the way before I started thinking about my neighbours potentially being pissed off, with a 4W head.

Yep, those Minimats are still fairly loud wee bastards. Easily overpower a drumkit with one. Great gear, really glad I sold mine to somebody I know so I can still have a shot from time to time.

• 1 month later...

This thread needs moar pics. Especially of shiny pedals. I need some ideas of what to get next! After recent purchases my rig is like this. Gear wise I need a power supply for all this instead of relying on batteries and an actual pedal board. DIY shop time! Next will be a chorus, reverb and a wah probably, maybe a fuzz. Any suggestions for nice sounding pedals that don't break the bank?

IMAG0263.jpg

IMAG0262.jpg

My setup is usually as follows:

ESP Custom Shop KH-2 Neck Thru w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths > Peterson Strobostomp Tuner > Dunlop DCR-2SR Rack Wah > Digitech WH-4 Whammy > MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ > Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble > MXR Smart Gate > Dunlop DVP1 Volume Pedal > Line 6 DL4 > ENGL E670 SE EL34 w/ JJ KT77s (poweramp) and Rubys (preamp) > ENGL Std 4x12 w/ V60 speakers.

I've also got an ESP Hanneman S&Key Urban Camo (nice and rare) with EMG 81s that I sometimes swap the KH-2 out for. Also a Dean USA DFH 'Dean From Hell' with a Bill Lawrence L-500XL and Di Marzio Super Distortion. That is in E just now though and I have been gigging/practicing with the others (tuned to BEADF#B) so it hasn't seen much use of late.

I thought I'd update this ever so slightly to allow for the pending arrival of a new amp head - a Mesa Boogie Mark V. I won't be selling the ENGL SE, rather I'll be using the 2 heads simultaneously as the ENGL cab can run as 2x stereo 2x12s. I'll just need to make sure it is dual mic'd to pick up each head!

I'll also add a couple of pictures of some of the other bits while I'm at it as I never did before:-

ESP KH-2 Neck Thru with Bare Knuckles:

76261_10151051628163021_390228338_n.jpg

ESP Jeff Hanneman S&Key Urban Camo:

32119_505276308463_5804733_n.jpg

Dean USA DFH Dean From Hell:

7316_504070499913_1042430_n.jpg

Since my missus is awesome and knows her shit when it comes to effects pedals, she got me this:

The harmonic delay sounds amazing. All of it sounds amazing in fact.

I concur! In a shock twist, my wife got me the same thing. Yay for Christmas. The next Seas, Starry practice is going to feature ALL the delay.

It is a little bit like the Rainbow Machine, but perhaps a bit "bouncier".

IMG_0863_zpsba95cf08.jpg

BOSS TU-2 > Digitech Whammy 4 > Modded Crybaby Wah > Digitech Digiverb > Biyang Analogue Delay > Diamond Quantum Leap > Danelectro Reel Echo > PSK Phaser (BOSS clone) > North Effects Repeat Attack Tremolo > t.c. electronic vintage distortion > BOSS DS-1 > Electro Harmonix Big Muff > Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...