aberdeen-music
Lemonade

Jimmy Savile

I know it's all just allegation, and he's not around to defend himself, but it's starting to look pretty damning isn't it. I'm fairly sure a lot of the people who have come forward and will continue to come forward are just doing it for the cash / noteriety but as the old saying goes, there's no smoke without fire, and there's a lot of smoke... If it is true you have to wonder why no-one's come forward by now, and how its been kept quiet for so long going by the scale of what's being alleged.

• Upvote 1

There was something on BBC news last week about John Peel being accused of sexually abusing a young girl. It happened in 1969, but for some reason it's only being raised now, very shortly after Jimmy Saville has been accused of such acts. Seems a bit peculiar, the timing of it all and whatnot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19933274

There was something on BBC news last week about John Peel being accused of sexually abusing a young girl. It happened in 1969, but for some reason it's only being raised now, very shortly after Jimmy Saville has been accused of such acts. Seems a bit peculiar, the timing of it all and whatnot.

That seemed like a bit of a non-story to me. I found myself wondering if the woman had told the Daily Mail the story years ago and they didn't think anything was in it, but then they decided to run it in the light of the Savile stuff, even though it bears few similarities. I see she was so traumatised by their relationship that she wrote to Peel thirty years later - to ask if he would come and open her shop. Harrowing testimony.

I thought Chris Morris broke the story in the 90's. Not just the fake obituary piece but a bit about Savile being a beast. Maybe on the paedo Brass Eye? It got binned in any case, but I mind it.

UFOs in the Broch, btw.

I am sure that I read about this years ago, possibly prior to Peel's death, so it isn't news. What's important is that there were no criminal charges pressed against him.

On the subject on Jimmy Saville, I do find it strange that despite some previous police investigations, he was never charged with anything, despite what seems to be systematic abuse of children throughout his life. The manner of the coverage that it is getting via the tabloids (and on the Daily Mail website, which seems to have a Jimmy Saville section the past week) is quite gratuitous and pretty lurid in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

It was good to see HIGNFY mentioning the hoax about when Savile was on, also the hiding in plain sight when mentioning what he did in the caravan.

Aye, it was quite surreal. It all went serious for a good 10 minutes. Well worth a watch though.

I met Saville and he was pretty creepy. He had a house in Glencoe and used to eat in local restaurants, I knew a couple of women who worked in them and said he was always being creepy and lewd. No smoke without fire I guess! He seemed pretty untouchable when he was alive.

I met Saville and he was pretty creepy. He had a house in Glencoe and used to eat in local restaurants, I knew a couple of women who worked in them and said he was always being creepy and lewd. No smoke without fire I guess! He seemed pretty untouchable when he was alive.

Poor choice of words.

If the allegations about him and in turn BBC cover-ups turn out to be true isn't it just swell that we are forced to pay a licence fee to fund it all?

I think it's pretty pathetic that some organisations and people are using this to attack the BBC. I'm pretty certain as an institution it doesn't set out to protect child molestors. Saville could've worked for ITV for his entire career and the result may have been the same, it's hard to know.

• Upvote 2

I am sure that I read about this years ago, possibly prior to Peel's death, so it isn't news. What's important is that there were no criminal charges pressed against him.

On the subject on Jimmy Saville, I do find it strange that despite some previous police investigations, he was never charged with anything, despite what seems to be systematic abuse of children throughout his life. The manner of the coverage that it is getting via the tabloids (and on the Daily Mail website, which seems to have a Jimmy Saville section the past week) is quite gratuitous and pretty lurid in my opinion.

Agreed 100%, the media, as in the t.v media, reports largely without question, i personally think theyre as bad as any tabloid when they want to be, especially in this case. ( except for Moira Stewart ).

What i found severly disturbing was that the family had removed ( smashed ?? ) his headstone. As far as the law of the land goes he innocent until proven guilty is he not? so it barks the question "what ELSE did they know?". I dont claim to know alll the facts, chance are hes a fucking deviant, the world was a very different pace back then.

IGNFY talking about Saville, and the hoax about when he was on the show. Though he did say on the show, when asked what he did in the caravan; "Anybody I could get my hands on" which was rather creepy. They then go into the Mail online being pedophilic as fuck and if you search for "all grown up" on the Mail online website you get heaps of stories of celebrity girls finally turning 16.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/lostinshowbiz/2012/oct/18/kerry-katona-savile-pervy-look?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038

"I met him when I was in Atomic Kitten," offers Katona. "We were getting off a train and he was walking towards us. We were like, 'Now then! Now then!'"

So far, so inconsequential, but how hollow their carefree laughter must subsequently have seemed in light of the terrible events that were about to take place. These are described in blunt, stark prose, the better to communicate their full horror: "He looked at us in a pervy way."

That sound you can hear is Lost in Showbiz stuffing its fist in its mouth, in an ill-fated attempt to stifle the involuntary yell of traumatised incredulity. It feels impelled to repeat the allegation so that readers may understand the whole new fathom of perversion they reveal: to further compound his other crimes, Savile once looked at Atomic Kitten in a "funny" way.

"I've always thought he was a pervert, he had that look about him," concludes Katona, firmly: possession of "that look" being very much the international standard in judging whether someone is a rancid sex criminal or not. While it applauds Katona's bravery in coming forward and laying bare her ordeal, it wonders aloud why she didn't immediately contact the relevant authorities at the time. Perhaps, despite her cast-iron evidence – not merely looking at her in a "pervy" way, but "having that look about him" – she feared she would be met with a wall of silence and disbelief. We should be thankful she now feels emboldened to tell her story.

• Upvote 4

What i do find odd is that if there was this amount of suspected abuse going on there is no way he could have covered all of it up, just no way, we've had daily stories from new sources every day, from almost every paper. It just strikes me as a bit odd. The tabloids made their mind up the first day they were allowed to run with this and they have dug up every person they could find that would be willing to make a bit of money over this.

Now i know there is no smoke without fire, but it does seem like some people may be jumping on the bandwagon so to speak, which is the worst thing because it could dilute the actual cases of abuse.

• Upvote 1