aberdeen-music

Death, gloom and doom thread...

jester1470

Borrowed from several threads on another forum I visit.

What is your:

1. Song you could commit Suicide too?

2. Funeral Song(s)?

3. Hit the dancefloor tune? (to lighten the mood a bit!)?

Hmm, strangely enough for a lot of different reasons i've been thinking this one through recently...

1) Opalesque - Jo McCafferty - not my favourite Jo song, but there's something kind of poignant about it...

2) Weird - Julie King - A totally unknown singer/songwriter from Edinburgh and to the best of my knowledge this is the only song of hers ever released, possibly the most amazing song ever by a female singer imho... i really need to track it down...

Afraid of Sunlight (acoustic piano version) - Marillion - an amazing song , sombre and yet uplifting...

3) White Flag - Dido - recently become the one song who's lyrics i can completely identify with, actually goes against the nice break up ethos, and i love the whole, just cos you stopped feeling something doesn't mean i will pretend to to make you feel better...

Cheers

Stuart

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. Funeral Song(s)?

1. suicide song?...um...dunno'...maybe 'change' by deftones..kinda pops into my head.

2. funeral song...tough choice...probably something by Bowie

3. dancefloor tune? if i'm wired up enough i'll spazz out like a mofo to 'be quiet and drive' by deftones.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Borrowed from several threads on another forum I visit.

What is your:

2. Funeral Song(s)?

What a cheery thread! Here goes, then:

1. None. I wouldn't give the bastards the satisfaction.

2. Napalm Death - "Dead." It lasts about 1 and a half seconds. I hate long goodbyes.

3. Rupture - "The human race can fuck me up the arse." A lovely hate-filled ditty.

2. Napalm Death - "Dead." It lasts about 1 and a half seconds. I hate long goodbyes.

Haha, I remember a few weeks ago John Peel played something (Extreme Noise Terror...?) that was seriously one chord played once...interesting. Anyway...

1) Sigur Ros - 'Vidrar vel til...' (but I don't really fancy snuffing it anytime soon)

2) Um...some Radiohead? 'Motion Picture Soundtrack' would have them in floods. Actually, Joy Divison - 'Heart and Soul' will do.

3) Scissor Sisters - 'Laura' (funkah!)

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Haha' date=' I remember a few weeks ago John Peel played something (Extreme Noise Terror...?) that was seriously one chord played once...interesting.[/quote']

Was it "Mega-armageddon death" by the Electro Hippies?

1: i'm finding it incredibly hard to answer this one properly. i mean if you really wanted to kill yourself then if you listened to your favourite song it might stop you doing it(i wouldn't do it anyway) but you wouldn't want the last song you ever hear to be black lace. perhaps the peak of white rabbit...

2: sleep - dopesmoker, just for the fun of it. ah it'd be so sweet. if i really wanted to make them cry it'd be bonnie prince billy - i see a darkness. it's a beautiful song.

3: sabbath. or sly and the family stone.

I go along with the ' only feeling suicidal when hearing crap songs' line, so almost anything on MTV would do. For funeral music, something instrumental, slow and cool...maybe Miles Davis 'In a silent way'. Cheering up/dancefloor music would be the Slits version of 'Heard it through the Grapevine', or 'When I'm cleaning windows' by George Formby.

Mr Officer....our very own Philip was recording with Bonnie Prince Billy a couple of weeks ago ( I got to meet him at Aberdeen Station....BPB, not Philip!).

Mr Officer....our very own Philip was recording with Bonnie Prince Billy a couple of weeks ago ( I got to meet him at Aberdeen Station....BPB' date=' not Philip!).[/quote']

WHAT!!!??????!!!! HE WAS IN ABERDEEN????!!!!!???? PHILIP WAS RECORDING WITH HIM?????!!!!!????? AAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

have i missed anything else? jason molina didn't turn up at open mike or something? sheesh.

did mr oldham seem nice?

It was at Delicate AWOL's studio near Huntly.....a session for Alasdair Roberts' next album, which Will Oldham was producing (he and Ali are in Amalgamated Sons of Rest together). Isabel from Belle & Sebastian was also involved. I met most of them for lunch, but only spoke to Will very briefly at the station. Philip can tell you more......

I was half-expecting them to turn up at Drakes for the Hooker's Green, Kathryn Sawers etc gig, but they didn't.

It was at Delicate AWOL's studio near Huntly.....a session for Alasdair Roberts' next album' date=' which Will Oldham was producing (he and Ali are in Amalgamated Sons of Rest together). Isabel from Belle & Sebastian was also involved. I met most of them for lunch, but only spoke to Will very briefly at the station. Philip can tell you more......

I was half-expecting them to turn up at Drakes for the Hooker's Green, Kathryn Sawers etc gig, but they didn't.[/quote']

*speechless*....

....um. shit. yea i've got the amalgamated sons of rest album as well as alasdair roberts last one, he's a talented chap. jeez. that's quite a thing you've just told me. i don't doubt that there are others in aberdeen who would be equally stunned. surely someone should grab him next time and ask him to play. or at least to organise a scheduled gig at some point in aberdeen.