aberdeen-music

[Oct 14, 2012] Dylan Carson (Earth) (Aberdeen)

kirkt

This was a fantastic evening, shame more folk couldn't make it, but there was a lovely atmosphere nonetheless.

Alan played an absolute blinder, his set was brilliantly tense, evocative and poignant, couldn't fault it.

We had a lot of fun, felt Calum did really well with the sound.

Dylan Carlson played an amazing set, really dark and brooding, fantastic guitar player. Included a few covers too- Wicked Annabella and an amazing version of Reynardine amongst others. Couldn't believe the sounds he was getting out of a JTM1 combo. Incredible stuff. Really lovely and personable chap too, chatted for ages about effects pedals and cats. My sort of guy!

Who the f**k were the 3 guys at the bar that spoke / shouted when Carlson was on & then pissed off half way through his set - and half way through their pints?

dickheads, at a guess.

Who the f**k were the 3 guys at the bar that spoke / shouted when Carlson was on & then pissed off half way through his set - and half way through their pints?

I assume they are in some way connected with Seas, Starry given they said their goodbyes to them before leaving and the short one was cutting some extraordinarily misplaced air guitar moves during their set...

I assume they are in some way connected with Seas, Starry given they said their goodbyes to them before leaving and the short one was cutting some extraordinarily misplaced air guitar moves during their set...

Yeah.... the air guitar moment.... Just wow.

BTW - can we all wear name tags for gigs like this so we know who everyone is?

I believe they were friends of my wee brother, who was also there. They didn't finish their drinks because my brother clocked the absolute daggers I was giving them from down the front. Nothing like a big sister's scorn to put the chills up you. My brother had wanted to see Dylan Carlson, so it's a shame he had to miss out but I've no time for bad etiquette, even if it is someone I know. He did say sorry later as he saw how annoyed we were, but he needs to get better gig buddies, I could have punched those guys in the larynx.

• Upvote 4

She had a bit of a vent after as she thought she wasn't given enough reverb when she asked for it, but that was about it. Felt a bit bad for her, but thought Calum did a pretty grand job overall.

I felt bad for her too and so I allowed her to give me a cuddle. I'm pretty sure that's how it happened. I really liked her vocals actually.

I believe they were friends of my wee brother, who was also there. They didn't finish their drinks because my brother clocked the absolute daggers I was giving them from down the front. Nothing like a big sister's scorn to put the chills up you. My brother had wanted to see Dylan Carlson, so it's a shame he had to miss out but I've no time for bad etiquette, even if it is someone I know. He did say sorry later as he saw how annoyed we were, but he needs to get better gig buddies, I could have punched those guys in the larynx.

wow, you effectively made your brother leave not only before he'd finished his drink, but before he'd seen Dylan Carlson (the person he wanted to see) just because you disapproved of him/his friends making noise?!

wow, you effectively made your brother leave not only before he'd finished his drink, but before he'd seen Dylan Carlson (the person he wanted to see) just because you disapproved of him/his friends making noise?!

Well, of course I didnt "make him leave", he took the decision to go. I was just looking at them disapprovingly as they were making a racket that could be heard way above the band that was playing. To be fair, I think everyone else in the venue was doing the same, and rightfully so. If they'd continued to shout and be rowdy I'd have asked them to be quiet, but at the end of the song that they'd effectively ruined for everyone, they came down to say bye and then left. My brother could quite easily have stayed and watched the rest of the set with us, but decided to go off with his friends who were ruined, quite evidently had no interest in watching the band and were making an obnoxious amount of noise. The fact that I knew who they were is completely immaterial, if anyone was making that much noise at a gig I'd have shot them a bit of a glare and, if they continued asked them if they wouldnt mind keeping it down a bit. It's highly disrespectful to the performer and everyone who's parted with their cash for what was a great gig.

I really don't see a problem with that.

• Upvote 4

Big props to Alan, as this was one of the best Kitchen Cynics performances that I can remember!

I thought we played well. I'm glad we road tested a new song and Callum did a great job with our sound.

Dylan Carlson was amazing, TONE. Especially from a 1w amp. The choice of covers that he performed and the arrangements were well executed and Teta's vocals put me in mind of Hope Sandoval in places. They turned out to be some of the loveliest people that we have shared a stage with.

I left as soon as the Dylan Carlson set was over, bumped into him having a smoke outside and had a quick blether, great bloke, nice and friendly, nae airs and graces.

For anyone interested he informed me he has several songs written for next Earth album and that it will be a return to a more rock orientated sound. Away to start touring the new material in the States as a 'power trio'....