aberdeen-music

The 'Watch This' thread

ca_gere

I know you can download anything nowadays and see episodes of The parks & recreation office community abbey whenever you want but I thought it'd be a good idea to start a thread where people suggest free, legal videos that are available online. I suppose similar to the spotify recommendations thread - if you're bored or have time to kill and don't know what to watch, browse this thread and find something.

example:

This documentary is ace - a guy sits in a lift for 10 hours a day in a block of flats in London and just talks to people:

This 3 part series about detroit is also ace-ic. A lot of people can't stand Vice magazine but they do really good videos.

http://www.vice.com/uneven-terrain/detroit-lives-vbs-part-1-of-3

• Upvote 3

That is an ace video. The guy who keeps giving him food is the best. It was nice to think that he might have encouraged people to talk to each other if they normally wouldn't. I love simple documentaries like that. I almost attempted to make a similar one about people at bus stops that was going to be part of a bigger thing about people on buses, but kind of lost interest. Lift video puts my lack of dedication to shame.

I haven't found anything worth posting recently, but I'll come back when I have something.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you've got a spare hour and 37 minutes and a poncey desire to watch a compilation of things going on in different parts of the world in 1992, then the whole of Baraka is online. It's by Ron Frick who did Koyaanisqatsi. It's nicely shot and pretty interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT74UGqwcFc

Alternatively, the whole of the Bill O'Reilly vs Jon Stewart debate is also on youtube. It keeps getting taken down, though, so apologies if it's gone again by the time you see this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPtwyVf74SM

If you've got a spare hour and 37 minutes and a poncey desire to watch a compilation of things going on in different parts of the world in 1992, then the whole of Baraka is online. It's by Ron Frick who did Koyaanisqatsi. It's nicely shot and pretty interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT74UGqwcFc

Alternatively, the whole of the Bill O'Reilly vs Jon Stewart debate is also on youtube. It keeps getting taken down, though, so apologies if it's gone again by the time you see this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPtwyVf74SM

Baracka is ace, the music is great too, Dead Can Dance.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched this online a few months ago because it's a pain in the ass to try and track down a physical copy in the UK.

Documentary about Half Japanese called 'The Band That Would Be King'. It's very sweet and they try very hard. The first hour and a half is the doc and the final half hour is footage from a live show. I'm glad to see the full thing is now on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z218HXxh34

• Upvote 2

Last Days Here: Following Bobby Liebling from Pentagram trying to finally get back on track and make a new album and get back on stage.

Truly fucking harrowing form the very start of the film.

Seeing them live on Sunday in Glasgow. Can't. Fucking. Wait.

This looks really great. Can't beat a good Music Doc. Especially one with an (i'm assuming) heartwarming ending.

This looks really great. Can't beat a good Music Doc. Especially one with an (i'm assuming) heartwarming ending.
Aye. It's well good. Even better if you're a Pentagram fan. Best way I've heard it described was Chris from PTTH said that at times while watching it, on his own, he'd actually say out loud "for fucks sake Bobby."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was reading an article on the Guardian website about films/scenes set on the tube to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the London underground and it mentioned a series of short films called Tube Tales. Each of the films was directed by different people, including Bob Hoskins, Ewan McGregor and Jude Law, but the article specifically referenced Armando Iannucci's contribution and I gave it a watch as I love him so.

Here it is. Do not watch whilst eating.

Anyway, the rest of the films have all been uploaded to YouTube and can be found on this channel if you fancy a look at them, I plan on doing so.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure how long this will be on Youtube for, but here goes...

Jandek On Corwood.

2003 documentary about then-anonymous and insanely prolific outsider musician, Jandek (his Wikipedia is worth a look for the tiny bits of personal history he has revealed). Basically, his first album came out in 1978 and albums kept being released under the mysterious Houston-based label 'Corwood Industries' for years and years despite him never playing shows, being on the radio or anybody knowing who he was. He sort of became this cult figure that only a handful of musicians and journalists seemed to know about. There was only one known recording of him speaking during a rare phone interview in the 80s, but at the time the film was released, that was pretty much all that anybody interested had to go on. People tried to get in touch with him but would only ever receive responses signed 'Corwood'.
The film drags a little at times, but is pretty interesting for the main part. Since it was made, Jandek has played some shows. His first, bizarrely, was in Glasgow in 2004, but even then, it wasn't billed as Jandek playing, just 'A Representative From Corwood'. I think he has lost his mystique somewhat, now that he has played quite a few shows and seems to love Glasgow. He's playing there tomorrow night and I'm quite annoyed that I can't afford to go as I think it'd be an interesting experience.
Anyway, watch the film or don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtTp-_NBwk
(Also, I get super freaked out by this film as the pictures of him that are shown look like this one ancient passport photo I've got of my dad. I've questioned him, but apparently there's nothing going on.)

Edited by kirsten

• 4 months later...

I caught a couple of good music docs on BBC4 this week which should still be on the iplayer, Blondie: One Way Or Another, about the history of Blondie, essential viewing for fans, and a 3-parter called Punk Brittania about the history of British punk which has some great stuff in it. That bastard is 3 hours long like, I haven't watched all of it yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Last Days Here: Following Bobby Liebling from Pentagram trying to finally get back on track and make a new album and get back on stage.

Truly fucking harrowing form the very start of the film.

Seeing them live on Sunday in Glasgow. Can't. Fucking. Wait.

Bought and watched this film last night because of your post. Loved it. Thanks.