aberdeen-music

EQ Pedal / Clean Boost advice

TR!ΔNGL€ T€€TH

So, I am in the market for a pedal that can pull me up in the mix when I need to do extra blazing solos, killer licks and savage biddly boos. I am thinking a clean boost or and EQ pedal would be the best bet. It will be used in conjuntion with and EH Big Muff Pi going into a Sound City 50w head. I am not really looking for my tone to be coloured by the pedal, just some extra oomph to knock the glasses out of peoples' hands when i am lighting up the fretboard.

Cheers!

• Upvote 2

It depends how much money you are willing to be spend.

Xotic Effects RC boost is meant to be good.

Suhr Koko Boost is meant to be excellent and has two stages, a clean boost and a mid boost. If you're combining it with a big muff, I could imagine a mid boost might be very useful after your muff if you want to cut through in a solo.

Boss LS-2 is useful. It allows switching between two effects loops, with individual gain adjustment on each. I sometimes use mine, with no other pedals, to add gain for solos. Another useful feature is that it can mix two inputs. That could be useful if an amp breaks during a gig and would allow a single input amp to have two inputs.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=150

The Boss GE-7 is also a useful beastie in that it has a volume control, so could be used just for boost if the EQ is set flat.

• 2 weeks later...

An EQ won't really be a huge volume boost as such - the MXR 6 band doesn't actually have a volume control for example - but will let you tailor your sound to better cut through the mix and stand out. So by boosting certain frequencies you can make your guitar much more prominent without screwing with the volume levels too much. Of course ramp all the sliders up simultaneously and you will get an uncoloured volume boost (though in that case, why buy an EQ rather than just a clean boost?).

For a clean boost the Zvex will do it in expensive boutique style, or something like the EHX boost will give your volume a kick up the rear for less. I have a Marshall Bluesbreaker II which has a decent clean boost setting and can be bought pretty cheaply.

Cheeky sales pitch: I have the MXR 6 band and the Marshall Bluesbreaker II for sale in the trading post at the moment ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XOTIC-EP-BOOSTER-CLEAN-BOOST-EFFECT-PEDAL-FOR-GUITAR-BRAND-NEW-/320968264512?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4abb330b40

Xotic Clean boost (i got a white special edition one by accident but im assuming there the same) it throws out a serious volume boost, tiny and 120 squid but well worth it. I have it rolled down almost to the bare min and i still rise above any other noise trying to drown me out... hey i didnt say i was good at guitar... but i sure am loud ;)