aberdeen-music

Mastodon \m/ \m/

Mordred

OMG!! that makes it far more worth my money!! fuck yes! thats going to one hell of a night. i still aint got the new album but im going to get it first thing 2mo. there is a good tune of the new album in this months terrorizer so i know its as good (if not better) than remission

had a listen to the album last night

and I am THOROUGHLY disappointed.

basically, it sound slike nu-metal to me.

it was a one listen through, and after 2 or 3 songs, I started pickign random tracks just tocv check, and I really didn't hear ANYTHING that compared even the standard of the Lifesblood EP, let alone Remission.

Guest Nikola Tesla
Hmm' date=' not heard too much from Mastadon but what I did hear was pish. A couple of tracks off 'Remission', I think. It just sounded a bit bloated and uninspired. There's far better stuff on Relapse.[/quote']

Yea Relapse is a immense label. Kinda a shame you didnt like early mastadon as i think they were one of the best bands on there, but oh well everone to their own

What other relapse stuff you into? (just curious)

Hmm' date=' not heard too much from Mastadon but what I did hear was pish. A couple of tracks off 'Remission', I think. It just sounded a bit bloated and uninspired. There's far better stuff on Relapse.[/quote']

go download the Lifesblood EP

in particular the song "Hail to Fire"

I guarantee you'll change your mind about their earlier stuff.

Yea Relapse is a immense label. Kinda a shame you didnt like early mastadon as i think they were one of the best bands on there' date=' but oh well everone to their own

What other relapse stuff you into? (just curious)[/quote']

Just like Dillinger, Neurosis, Nile... I had a sampler that had really cool stuff on it as well, but I didnt really follow much of it up, Cephalic Carnage, High on Fire, 27, Dysrythmia (actually bought 'Pretest' but i reckon it's a bit too 'heady' for me..not enough tunes, haha!).

Guest Nikola Tesla
Just like Dillinger' date=' Neurosis, Nile... I had a sampler that had really cool stuff on it as well, but I didnt really follow much of it up, Cephalic Carnage, High on Fire, 27, Dysrythmia (actually bought 'Pretest' but i reckon it's a bit too 'heady' for me..not enough tunes, haha!).[/quote']

Ah k nice stuff Cephalic Carnage are amazing. Can't really fault relape's stuff on whole. Although im nay too keen on the death metal stuff they realease but thats just my preferance.

Ah k nice stuff Cephalic Carnage are amazing. Can't really fault relape's stuff on whole. Although im nay too keen on the death metal stuff they realease but thats just my preferance.

Nah, I've really been into 'pure' death metal to much. I was briefly into stuff like Decapitated, Vader etc a while ago and I still think Nile are pretty good - their last album had tons of good ideas/concepts/textures etc etc on it.

Guest Nikola Tesla

Yeah 'in their darkened shrines' is actualy quite a good album. Although i think i got a bit bored with the drumming on it. It just seemed to grate with me after a while.

Guest Nikola Tesla

Yeah the thing is i normaly love blast drumming, but for some reason that album just anoyed me with it. Neurosis on the other hand....... that band can do no wrong to me, they are fucking immense.

see, i think the new mastodon record is amazing.it still has all the heavier elements from the past two releases, but the trick is to actually listen to the record to notice! if you turn an album off on the basis of your own comparisons against their other releases then i think i can safely say you are fucked in terms of discovering amazing new music.who would have given lateralus a chance? who would have given music for the jilted generation a chance? who would have given angeldust a chance? the odd rythyms are all still there, the riffs are still fucking MASSIVE, the drumming is of a higher standard, the vocals have shifted from the pretty standard 'lifesblood' ep grunt to somewhere between remissions howl and an almost rock style singing, christ, i'm not typing anymore.give me your copies if you dont dig it and i'll happily redistribute them you heathens!

as for neurosis, urgh.one of my favourite bands but i reckon they have wondered into territory they cant cope.it doesnt get better than 'through silver in blood' or 'times of grace', but the last two records sound to me like they dont know what to do with the space.sheets of noise have pretty much gone (both guitar and keyboard), far too much clean singing, an ambience that i'd class as boring ( plenty 'release' bands doing it way better, including ironically 'tribes of neurot'!!), weak production.a band lost in their own vision maybe.one i lost sight of a awhile ago.neurosis have bands like isis, omg, cult of luna etc to stand against now and like i typed, neurosis' past two releases are decidely average in places, while the other bands i've mentioned have decidedly above average work doing the rounds.give it a few years i say.

i think relapse has equal amounts shit bands to good bands, its a label, not a bloody lifestyle!! christ almighty.

so yes, i really love the new mastodon record.

I'm picky. if Mastodon had come out with what I've heard first, I dont think I would have payed as much attention to them. Sure, while they still have some immense riffs, and of course, Brann Dailor is one fucking hell of a drummer, and no one can fault him, there is just something about the songs that dont seem to have the same impact, or any impact at all.

• 4 weeks later...