aberdeen-music

Cool Thinkers Cool Thoughts & Local News Thread

Guest Cool Thinker

I hope (not really) she is a lawyer (as I think someone mentioned) and the freelance writing is a side gig, because that'll ruin a writer's career. Or even a lawyer's (was last month hearing about various top European politicians losing their jobs since the invention of Turnitin...).

I don't moan about much music. I normally try to just accept that I don't like some stuff but others may do. However I found that Times Like These video very hard to handle. I don't care for the original either so its nothing to with thinking she didn't do it justice or anything. It's that she seems to be following the idea that quiet and slow music is automatically deep and meaningful. I can imagine she feels like she's achieved this great transformation with the song when she's actually done fuck all except throw a whole load of bland at an already fairly bland song. That look on her face with her eyes closed, the arthritis inspired guitar playing, her whispery singing and taking an hour to get through one line of the song, it's all shite.

I don't moan about much music. I normally try to just accept that I don't like some stuff but others may do. However I found that Times Like These video very hard to handle. I don't care for the original either so its nothing to with thinking she didn't do it justice or anything. It's that she seems to be following the idea that quiet and slow music is automatically deep and meaningful. I can imagine she feels like she's achieved this great transformation with the song when she's actually done fuck all except throw a whole load of bland at an already fairly bland song. That look on her face with her eyes closed, the arthritis inspired guitar playing, her whispery singing and taking an hour to get through one line of the song, it's all shite.

You know what?... you're 100% right. It is just bland shite. This type of thing shouldn't be encouraged.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Nando's is where The Pier used to be, not sure exactly where Wagamama is but it's definitely in there and I have a voucher for some free miso soup or similar.

There's Imported Instruments (a music shop), Costa's still there. Concept, Attic and I think another kind of whack clothes shop of sorts. Jack Wills. There was a Dons shop in there for one season only which is now closed. The Old Schoolhouse still connects to it, and Enigma is still there.  Chi Bauhl has closed down, as has the restaurant. There's a Baskin Robbins there too, I'm sure, and some kind of spa-style place that offers waxing and massages.

O well, did the music place move? Last I knew the music shop was in the double unit where Quiksilver used to be and Baskin Robbins was in the 'corridor' bit as you go into the courtyard area.

Think Wagamama is where II used to be and II is now across the courtyard from attic or next door to nandos, accessed from the courtyard. 

I noticed that Amarone has opened on Union Street. I didn't realise it was a chain as I've only seen it in Edinburgh before, but every time I pass, I hear Paulie from the Sopranos saying "Ah, Marone!" in my head.

KIRSTEN'S BRIDGE OF DON UPDATE!!!:

-The cafe opposite Forehill Primary, formerly known as 'Recipes', formerly known as 'Vanilla Fudge Cafe', formerly known as 'the Raspberry Cheesecake' that typically never stays open under one name for more than six months has re-opened as the 'Scotch Bonnet Bistro'. I haven't been in. It looks exactly the same from outside.

-Irn-Bru 500ml bottles were reduced by 30p in the Scot-Mid on Sunday for no reason.

-There seem to be a lot more dogs there than before.

-Asda does Erdinger pretty cheap compared to most other shops.

-The bulldozers have been brought in for the early stages of the new Don crossing, despite residents still waiting on the results of an appeal to overrule compulsory purchases. Or something. I wasn't really paying attention. Nae fine rare, anyway.

-There's now a bookies where Blockbuster used to be at Asda. Low and Co is still going strong.

-Shri Bheema's at the Parkway is still very very good, but their takeaway prices are the same as restaurant so they need to sort that shit out.

-News just in... FOREHILL RULES! Obviously.

Edited by Frosty Jack
  • Upvote 1

Nando's is where The Pier used to be, not sure exactly where Wagamama is but it's definitely in there and I have a voucher for some free miso soup or similar.

There's Imported Instruments (a music shop), Costa's still there. Concept, Attic and I think another kind of whack clothes shop of sorts. Jack Wills. There was a Dons shop in there for one season only which is now closed. The Old Schoolhouse still connects to it, and Enigma is still there.  Chi Bauhl has closed down, as has the restaurant. There's a Baskin Robbins there too, I'm sure, and some kind of spa-style place that offers waxing and massages.

I'm not sure if you can walk through the Old School house to the Academy any more. Last time I was in, the doors were locked, but I'm not sure if it was to do with building or renovations.

In local news, read on Facebook that The Bells hotel on Union Street is being demolished and turned into offices. The pub won't be a big loss and the grubby windows above it make it look like the hotel bit hasn't been used since the 70s, but it's a shame the old granite facade isn't being kept. Bit of spit and polish that could have come up nice.

• 2 weeks later...