aberdeen-music

Very sad news

Alan Cynic

David Mackay, who posted on here as Free Tibet, passed away in the early hours of this morning, after a long battle with leukaemia. If you met, or were in contact on here with David, you'll know he was a great supporter of local bands, and a keen collector of music, as well as being a lovely guy. I had the pleasure of being David's friend for a few years, and was delighted to have him as a bandmate in Matricarians. He'll be a big loss.

David Mackay, who posted on here as Free Tibet, passed away in the early hours of this morning, after a long battle with leukaemia. If you met, or were in contact on here with David, you'll know he was a great supporter of local bands, and a keen collector of music, as well as being a lovely guy. I had the pleasure of being David's friend for a few years, and was delighted to have him as a bandmate in Matricarians. He'll be a big loss.

Sorry to hear that Alan.

:( Shit, that's awful. My thoughts to his family.

Dave was truly one of the really good guys. I knew Dave for about 5/6 years and he was the single most supportive person I ever encountered in Aberdeen. He used to come to pretty much all the gigs I played or put on, and he would always make the time to have a chat. He sent me loads of Matricarians recordings by post, and I loved enthusing about music with him. A properly outstanding gentleman in many ways.

After being told the news on Saturday, I thought about him a lot over the weekend and I am extremely glad I got to catch up with him the last time I was in Aberdeen in June. RIP, Dave. You will be missed.

I'm finding this difficult to come to terms with, and in a lot of ways, it still doesn't seem real. As others have said, Dave was one of the most supportive and genuine people I've ever met, an absolute gentleman, and I'm really glad to have known him. He was always incredibly enthusiastic and encouraging to local musicians and promoters and I have so many fond memories of discussing music with him for hours, often accompanied by a whisky or three. He was also immensely talented, I always enjoyed his contributions to the Matricarians recordings, and over the weekend, we've been listening to his solo Training Bra material, absolutely astonishing sounds.

Dave showed amazing strength throughout his long battle, he was philosophical and never angry, even in the most difficult times. His wit, warmth and humility made him an absolute pleasure to be around and we only ever had a great time in his company. I'm going to miss him so much. Rest in peace, David.

• Upvote 1

Sad to hear that Alan, didn’t know David very well, we were introduced at a Tunnels gig a few years back (I have a feeling I was perhaps over blethering to yourself and you introduced us) and we discovered a mutual liking of Earth and swapped a few live CD’s through the post....I always enjoyed seeing what his latest purchases were in the ‘What CD’s have You Been Buying?’ thread, hopefully his obviously treasured collection finds it’s way to someone who will appreciate it as much....