aberdeen-music

Football Manager 13

Adam Easy Wishes

Striking department. Poor. I have one who is ok but at the very wrong end of his 30's. The rest are toss.

First signing of the window:

shola-ameobi-251415155.jpg

Released from the Toon. Free scoop. He wants RIDICULOUS wages though, but he's worth it, because it means we'll never miss a penalty again. Scored 10 in 11 including pre-season. Business.

• Upvote 3

finally made Europe! Even got into the Champions League only to be thwarted on away goals by those pesky froggies Marseille in the play offs so 'slumming' it in the Europa League which is probably a good thing as my young squad has very European experience. Won both games in the group stage including an impressive away win at Lille.

Finding this one alot easier than 12 so far. I've got a pretty crap team, though I got in a handful of good players who seemed to make all the difference, and now I'm 5th in the league, with a game in hand which will take me up to 4th above Standard Liege.

As well as Shola, I got Christian Benteke for super cheap before the summer windows closed, and he's got 18 goals in 23 games. Unreal. I'm just into February now and brought in Simon Kjaer and Steven Defour in the January window; the former had been released by Wolfsburg, and the latter was transfer listed. Bargains. Defour is bossing it. Total bruiser. Gets a yellow card every game. Great ball winner.

Anderlecht are running away with it, but I might be able to pinch 3rd for a Europa slot. That would be glorious. Still in the cup as well, semi finals to come, but it's against Anderlecht, who are unstoppable. They've not lost a game in the league.

Foosty needs to return. This thread is severely lacking in imagery, ridiculous stories and swearing.

Big Bastard is just about to finish the first season with the final domestic game to play, the second leg of the cup semi final against Anderlecht (currently 1-1agg) and then a possible cup final if Bastard can somehow stuff the Paars-Wit away from home. Looking difficult with Anderlecht having that away goal, though I don't even know if Belgian football has the away goal rule.

I'll tell you what Belgian football doesn't have though - If you loan a player to another team, that player isn't ineligible to play against his parent club. He can play alright, and he can go on to score the winning fucking goal in stoppage time and run around the pitch celebrating like a twat, dropping Waasland down to 6th place, the shitty little cunt. When he returns, he's getting a Di Canio-esque kick in the arse. Big Bastard will be wearing one of these:

simpsonsgood06.jpg

Big Bastard laid the proverbial smackdown on the Jupiler League, scooping 2nd place after the utterly strange top 6 split, where your total points are halved and you play each of the top 6 twice.

LEAGUE-1_zpsc8754fed.jpg

Gent looked unstoppable. I thought they were going to keep avoiding defeat and snatch 2nd, but they fell apart. So did Anderlecht, who lost 5 in a row at the end of the regular season, after being undefeated.

SPLIT_zps7bda796d.jpg

Gent's collapse meant I snatched 2nd place, despite suffering a ridiculous amount of injuries in the last 10 games due mental fixture congestion including an international break where the league games continued regardless. ARSE. I was pulling kids out of the U19's. I was forced to field 7 kids in the game against Anderlecht. Not a single one of them will be getting a contract:

SEVENNIL_zps089bf03d.jpg

ANDERSTATS_zpsd42b39b5.jpg

Just hideous. Bastard got the mother of all bollockings from the knobhead upstairs. These hapless good-for-nothings could have had the throne snatched from beneath of King Bastard. Not a single shot on target. Unbelievable.

Luckily, Christian Benteke has evolved into the best striker on earth, and at a paltry £3.2million pounds too.

BENTEKE_zpsa8e2829e.jpg

He made Lukaku have a bit of whinge to the press after Benteke swiped his place in the national squad. And rightly so too, 4 goals in 4.

Also had this kid come into the U19s. Immediately gave him a pre-contract, which he'll sign when he's 16. Somehow, the Jupiler League lets you field 15 year olds. He's 15, and already worth a couple of million.

VANDIJCK_zps0d023f2e.jpg

Fast tracked into the first team, and he's already putting in better performances than bigshot Steven Defour who keeps nagging Bastard for more money, more games, more everything. Pipe down, shithouse.

Next season can't come quick enough. Bastard will wrestle the prize from Anderlecht, and piss on those tossers from a height. Easy.

48356714.jpg

FM Classic is ace. I've done pre-season and 10 Premier League games in something like 2 hours. Mental.

Went Reading for a bit of a mess-around first game. They are the worst team in the Premier League, so there are no expectations. Somehow I'm 6th after 10 games. Playing an incredibly British 4-4-2 with flying wingers and a big man/little man up-top which is pretty effective so far. We play shite the whole game before someone sticks it on Pogrebnyak's head and Adam Le Fondre hits it in off his kneecap. Totaalvoetbal.

I'll do screenshots and stuff when something notable happens.

I think even the full mode runs alot quicker. I smashed through a season in around 15 hours of play. I set up 3 tactics and nothing really went wrong, so I just kept running with it. Bit of a wobble at the end, but nothing I needed to tweak, and that was with a fairly rubbish team. Anyone else finding it a ton easier?

What do you guys reckon of the "Philosophies" in FM? Fluid, rigid, balanced, all that shit. I've never been 100% sure what to make of them, to be honest. I know that the more fluid a philosophy is, the more players are expected to contribute to both passages of play (attack and defence). I've always just used fluid with a squad of good technicians and rigid with cloggers, but surely there's got to be more to it than that?

I tend to go Balanced mostly, and use Very Rigid on my super condensed "don't blow this lead, dickheads" formation when I take the lead in the last 10 minutes or something, purely to stop fullbacks charging about or my holding midfielder thinking he's Maradona, trying to skip past everyone and end up getting tackled. I seem to find that the more fluid the philosophy, the more tired players get after a game, especially full backs and strikers who cover the most ground in a fluid formation, so I use fluid formations sparingly, when I need to get more players forward and score goals, if a basic formation isn't working. So far though, my philosophy "Balanced/always pass the ball to Benteke, or else" seems to work.

A couple of new FM challenges:

1) Accumulating a squad comprising entirely of Brazilian's with relatively Western names (i.e Douglas, Oscar, Fred).

2) Playing a traditional 2-3-5 formation: i.e. 2 full backs, 3 half backs and 5 forwards.

I like doing stupid shit like that sometimes. Start in the third division and try to get promoted by only using free 18 year old Italians. Try to take La Liga by storm by only signing shit English players like Michael Ricketts and Danny Pugh.

I'm buying a copy this weekend. No longer will I be two or three years behind my AM/FM brethren. (That's Aberdeen Music Football Managers if you were wondering). In preparation, I've loaded up FM10 and taken over at League One Millwall (my boyhood club) to allow brash outspoken Scottish-Canadian manager and ex-hair-metal superstar Sexton von Bagpipe to dip his toe into the murky world of football management. Look out world.

I got FM '13 and its really good.

Went as Aberdeen - who are completely skint - but I managed to sign Abdoulaye Meite, Habib Beye, Asier del Horno and some Israeli boy called Steven Cohen on frees. I had to loan out a couple of boys though. Needless to say, I was the best of the rest for most of the season, but eventually came 3rd after being level on points with Hearts, due to goal difference. Basically all my team were injured at the end of the season and cunts like Ross County were smashing us at Todders. Didn't win any cups either. Still, I qualified for Euro Cup, which I fully intended to win. Overall, a pretty successful season, with key performances from Andy Considine, Steven Cohen and Scott Vernon.

My second season has been a different story all together. I lost 7-2 on aggregate to Heerveenen in the 2nd round of the Europa League and I'm currently lying 10th in the league after 6 games. This is after a pre-season where I beat Liverpool, PSV, Pumas, Montrose AND Woodside! Don't know what I've done wrong. My players all love me, I've signed a few decent players (Chirs Iwelumo, Dennis Gentenaar, Darl Douglas) and we are generally in a better financial situation; the board just seem to fucking hate me. I've been running my mouth in the newspapers and had a public bust up with Abdoulaye Meite after he "seemed complacent" when we were losing 0-2 to St Mirren, but otherwise I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Second season syndrome, or whatever. I might quit. :( Also, we're losing to nobodies like St Mirren and Dundee, but my team are still clocking in overall ratings of >7.5. What the fuck?! Also, Hibs tried to sign Peter Pawlett for £2.5mm! How can they have money like that when I have a wage budget of £28k/week and a transfer budget of £0?!?!

I think it might be down to a few of my youth players not signing new deals and the clubs philosophy is to nurture young talent in the 1st team. Some of these boys were looking for >£750/week at the age of 17-18, and they weren't even that good! What was I supposed to do. Furthermore, a lot of my staff fucked off. I'm missing Archie Knox, clearly. He was wanting £3000/week and I could afford £400...

I'm really loving this version. One of my favourite challenges is to start unemployed with "Automatic" reputation, which really means "none whatsoever," and see where I end-up. I did this before and ended-up at Burscough midway through the Blue Square North season. Got them comfortably relegated, then stepped-in at newly-promoted Ilkeston, who I brought into the Blue Square Prem. I had spells at Accrington, Hereford, Swindon, Barnsley and eventually Spurs. I play as a complete mercenary bastard sometimes, only really caring about my own reputation and jumping ship to a bigger team at the earliest opportunity.

Usually it takes a few months (I've waited as long as a season and a half before) before getting a job, but I got one right away at Havant & Waterlooville in the Blue Square South. It's bloody impossible to sign people at toilet level like. Even 17 year olds from League Two aren't interested in joining on-loan. I manage to get 36 year-old former QPR striker Kevin Gallen in on a free (to play as a CM... naturally) and some scrub from the BSN on-loan. Wheeler dealer.

First five games, no wins. Fuck me this is difficult.

I'm really loving this version. One of my favourite challenges is to start unemployed with "Automatic" reputation, which really means "none whatsoever," and see where I end-up.

That's my default mode for a new game in FM, unless I have a specific challenge in mind.

I have two basic challenges, club and career. Club, I take over Barnet (natch) and take them to the heights of Euro success, career I start off as a nobody and spend 7 or so seasons in the toilet that is non-league football. before being 'snapped up' by a struggling ED1/2 side. It's all uphill from there.

Happy days!

Established my Cambridge United team in the Premier League, finally made it into Europe even finished 4th but was knocked out the Champions League at the play off stage by those pesky French buggers Marseille on away goals so slumming it in the Europa League (probably a good thing as my young side isnt ready for Champions League footy just yet!). Got through the group stage with ease dropping just one point, then played some little team called Rangers in the 1st Knockout round who were disposed of with ease 9-1 on aggregate before closely squeezing out Athletico Madrid in 2nd Knockout Round. Sporting Lisbon await in the quarters.

Somehow still in the FA Cup, after getting some piss easy ties for a change (Salisbury, Chelmsford and Plymouth) I was drawn away at Man Utd, 2-0 down and getting outclassed fuck knows how I managed to get the two goals I needed to take the tie to a replay. Chelsea await in the semi should I manage to progress. 8 games to go in the league and in 5th, the top three are miles ahead so its a tight battle for 4th spot but I have 2 games in hand due to my cup runs.

Bloody loving this game!!!

For some reason, finishing 2nd in the Jupiler League doesn't automatically put you into Europe. I don't quite understand why. Belgian football is almost as barmy as South American football. What's wrong with just a normal league and points system? All this splitting and point-deducting nonsense is a pain. Arsed with that.

Before the game updates with January deals, I'm going to go take over Athletic Bilbao before Llorente swans off to Juventus IRL. I'm going to buy nobody because agents are pricks. YOOFS! I've never done a La Liga jaunt, as I'm not all that into Spanish football. It's all about short passes, never taking shots and just fannying about, right? Sounds awful.

¡Vamos Bastardo Grande!

Tough start at Bilbao. FM13 databases are quite true to life, it's uncanny. Before Bastardo had even been introduced as the manager, Llorente had already decided he's leaving, either for a bit of money in January, or for free in the summer. He won't even listen to a contract offer. Aside from Muniain and De Marcos, the squad isn't all that great so I'll certainly have to put blind faith in couple of youngsters. There's plenty of them to choose from with the B team Bilbao Athletic, the C team Baskonia, and the U19s. I just don't know if any of them are any good.

With a distinct lack of left backs, I'll be sabotaging the "I won't buy anyone" philosophy immediately. However, that's tough. Raul had just been released on a free, so I tried to offer him a contract, which instantly flags up ATHLETIC ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BUY NON-BASQUE PLAYERS. You can search for players based on place of birth, but you can't just put BASQUE. You gotta know the towns within the county. Wikipedia helped, and after some research, I managed to swoop Nacho Monreal from Malaga. He's alright. He's left footed and can play left back. Hallelujah. Probably need to fish out a Llorente replacement somehow. I've got £19million to spend, but I can only spend that on a microscopic window of players available in the game, depending on their bleeding birth certificate. Neymar could become available for £1million, offering to play for free, and I'd be forced to turn him down, because of some local pride shite.

7th favourites to win the league. The team are all 'unhappy'. Rumours of bigger clubs triggering release clauses for all my best players. Game on!

Tough start at Bilbao. FM13 databases are quite true to life, it's uncanny. Before Bastardo had even been introduced as the manager, Llorente had already decided he's leaving, either for a bit of money in January, or for free in the summer. He won't even listen to a contract offer. Aside from Muniain and De Marcos, the squad isn't all that great so I'll certainly have to put blind faith in couple of youngsters. There's plenty of them to choose from with the B team Bilbao Athletic, the C team Baskonia, and the U19s. I just don't know if any of them are any good.

With a distinct lack of left backs, I'll be sabotaging the "I won't buy anyone" philosophy immediately. However, that's tough. Raul had just been released on a free, so I tried to offer him a contract, which instantly flags up ATHLETIC ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BUY NON-BASQUE PLAYERS. You can search for players based on place of birth, but you can't just put BASQUE. You gotta know the towns within the county. Wikipedia helped, and after some research, I managed to swoop Nacho Monreal from Malaga. He's alright. He's left footed and can play left back. Hallelujah. Probably need to fish out a Llorente replacement somehow. I've got £19million to spend, but I can only spend that on a microscopic window of players available in the game, depending on their bleeding birth certificate. Neymar could become available for £1million, offering to play for free, and I'd be forced to turn him down, because of some local pride shite.

7th favourites to win the league. The team are all 'unhappy'. Rumours of bigger clubs triggering release clauses for all my best players. Game on!

Big Bastard needs to take down ETA. Maybe arrange a friendly, if Big Bastard wins, ETA fuck off and Big Bastard can sign whoever he likes?

Bloody Chelsea are doing my nut in, beat me twice in the league (5-0 and 1-0) then knocked me out the FA Cup and to add insult injury dicked me in the final of the Euro League, not even managed to muster one goal against the London bastards!

Still secured Champions League football for a second season with an unlikely away draw at Spurs 3-1 down getting absolutely outclassed, ten mins to go and I got 2 penalties to get the point I needed so it means I can go into the last game of the season at home to champions Man U with no pressure!

Llorente's gone.Who needs him? Not Bastardo. I rinsed Chelsea for him at least. They kept bidding, and I kept asking for £1million more each time. The bidding started at £19millon, but I took it up to £27million. He was being a shit, playing like arse, not listening to Bastardo's raucous, earth-shattering tactical insight. Booted.

With the money and the limited amount of players who are any good from the Basque region, I took a stab at bringing Javi Martinez back to Athletic from Bayern. £20million. Bid accepted. Agent saunters in, demanding £110k per week. He's got Bastardo by the short ones, because who else is available? Signed. Also managed to swipe Mikel Arteta for £9million, who was recommended by Athletic's Director of Football. Silly wages, but he's got the stats to back it up. I then promoted a few of the B team kids, including a Basque born Brazilian, Plato. 16 year old attacking mid. He's going to be huge.

Traitor Llorente's absence has left the team hideously short on strikers, and I just couldn't find a single one which would be a better option than playing Muniain out of position up top. So, fuck strikers. I'm currently playing a fluid 4-6-0 like Spain did in the Euros because Torres was and still is a total carthorse. Back four, a holding midfielder, 2 central midfielders, 3 attacking midfielders.

foursix_zps559eb8bd.jpg

When we have the ball, we pile forwards with freedom and kamikaze intent. When we don't have the ball, everyone defends. All outfield players set to Closing down: Whole pitch. Tackling: More aggressive. Marking: Man. Very fluid. More expressive. Press more. We're shipping goals, usually on the counter as everyone scrambles back into position, but we're outscoring most, funnily enough from central midfield. Muniain and Plato are piling up the assists, but brick-shithouse Javi Martinez is my overall top scorer with 7 in 10. Second top scorer is Royo, who has got a bollock of a left foot from outside the box.

Is it working? You'd have to ask Bastardo yourself. Write to him at: PO Box Top Of The League

• Upvote 3

Signed some more kids, only snag is and I didn't read the small print my new whizzkid 11 million quid 17 year old Argentinian right midfielder is not coming till the end of the season!

Still started the new season off with a magnificent 6-0 pasting of Arsenal! Followed this up with a sneaky win against Roma in the champs league play off was close in the end was 2-0 up on agg with an away goal with 10 mins to go then bugger me they scored twice in 2 mins and it was squeaky bottom time but we got through and handed a tough group featuring Barcelona, Schalke and Feyenoord! Went to the Nou Camp, 2-0 down at half time, pulled it back to 2-2 before losing 4-2, no shame in that, not even sure if any of my squad have actually played champs league football before!

Meanwhile in the league predictably lost 2-0 away at Man Poo before stuffing West Brom - who are pretty good on this game - 6-2 at home.