aberdeen-music

Welcome to a mercenary time

Ronz

For the record - I don't consider this thread to be "badmouthing" me. Ron has been honest about what went down and by doing it publicly he has, as he mentioned, warned potential buyers (I have some spares and odds and sods I'll be selling soon) but he's also given me ample chance to say my piece in my defense. Perfectly reasonable way to do things.

And on the subject of that LP Studio - the lesson there (IMHO) is never to accept offers of monthly payments etc unless there is some kind of contract or legal agreement in place to protect both parties.

xx

Yes bob it is. I agreed to sell that guitar for a good price and the buyer agreed to give me £100 a week.

He made 2 deposits then said he had no more money.

He is aware that he can still buy the guitar for agreed price or when it sells his money will be refunded.

Pretty fair of me I'd say :)

The guy ran out of cash and you kept his money? Jesus wept...

Im not bad mouthing him at all, just making potential buyers aware of some pitfalls.

You have the word "mercenary" in the thread title and you describe the situation as being down to greed, neither are complimentary terms.

Anyway your keeping money from a guy who is skint, money you could pay him right away if you were being honerable.

Lets move on eh.

Also - I'd say that generally a deal isn't a deal until someone has handed over money or goods. If you "accept" someone's offer and they get outbid, it's poor form to not offer that person a chance to up their offer, though.

xx

Re-reading this post I actually agree with you. This happened to me once before. I agreed to guy a guitar from someone for his asking price (notice I didn't lowball him, just said I will pay the price you set), then he messaged to say someone offered a bit more and that as I was the first to express an interest, if i matched that offer I could get it at that price. I didn't even bat an eyelid to that tbh or think of it as 'mercenary/unhonourable behaviour'. I stumped up the extra cash and still have the guitar to this day. It was my favourite and most cherished until the customs came along :)

So as long as you were polite, explained the situation and offered Ronz a fair chance to buy it for the same price someone else offered then I really have absolutely no problem with this. I retract my previous statement about you being wrong unless there was some implication of a contract (such as handshake, exchanging money etc).

• Upvote 1

Ok, look at it like his. If he'd wen into a store and done that what do you think would happen?

They wouldn't even give him his money back.

He didn't say when he WANTED to buy it that he was skint so therefore I was doing him a favour.

He can still buy it or get refunded when I get a new buyer.

Simples

Ok, look at it like his. If he'd wen into a store and done that what do you think would happen?

He didn't say when he WANTED to buy it that he was skint so therefore I was doing him a favour.

Simples

Depends if it was agreed as a refundable deposit or not.

Simples

who HAS this guitar? you or him? please tell me you have it?.....this thread is a classic in the making....:cheers:

He was alwys polite but was never offered it at higher price, but wouldn't have had the money anyway.

I only felt buyers should be aware what could happen.

No contract as such but emails, a phone call and an agreed time and date of collection is pretty close in my book, lol

quote="keeno, post: 765735, member: 4425"]Re-reading this post I actually agree with you. This happened to me once before. I agreed to guy a guitar from someone for his asking price (notice I didn't lowball him, just said I will pay the price you set), then he messaged to say someone offered a bit more and that as I was the first to express an interest, if i matched that offer I could get it at that price. I didn't even bat an eyelid to that tbh or think of it as 'mercenary/unhonourable behaviour'. I stumped up the extra cash and still have the guitar to this day. It was my favourite and most cherished until the customs came along :)

So as long as you were polite, explained the situation and offered Ronz a fair chance to buy it for the same price someone else offered then I really have absolutely no problem with this. I retract my previous statement about you being wrong unless there was some implication of a contract (such as handshake, exchanging money etc).

Its in Ii music on commission sale for all to see, a damn sight dearer than the original sale price :-)

uote="fertuiee, post: 765743, member: 3150"]who HAS this guitar? you or him? please tell me you have it?.....this thread is a classic in the making....:cheers:

• Upvote 1

In general terms my thoughts on the topics raised here are:

If you agree a price then an item should be sold to the buyer for that price. Subsequent higher offers should be refused.

If a seller sets a price some haggling is allowed. Don't take the piss though.

Avoid monthly payments unless you're dealing with a shop. It's unnecessarily complicated and will only lead to trouble. This goes for both parties.

Private sales are supposed to be gentlemanly. If someone gives you a deposit for something then has to pull out of the sale for whatever reason, give them the fucking money back.

Having said all that everyone's circumstances are different and there could be exceptions to the rules depending on the situation.

Basically going back to the original post I'd say Ronz has a genuine grievance here but Stroopy had bills to pay so I can understand why he took the higher offer. This fence isn't very comfortable to sit on...

• Upvote 3

Guest davetherave

Not wanting to side with anyone as I've known Ronz a long time, and Stroop was a fine dude to deal with when he recently sold (and delivered) a guitar to me. But to reverse the scenario, if I found an item for a £100 less than someone else was selling it to me for, I'd back out the deal and buy it at the cheaper price elsewhere (unless a deposit or cash had changed hands first)? Business is business, money is money, nothing personal.

He was alwys polite but was never offered it at higher price, but wouldn't have had the money anyway.

I only felt buyers should be aware what could happen.

No contract as such but emails, a phone call and an agreed time and date of collection is pretty close in my book, lol

I apologise, I didn't make it clear but I had meant to say in my message if you could match the higher offer (which is now up to £650 since my last text I sent you), I'd consider it. The current best offer is at £650 inc. P+P, I'd call an offer of ~£620 with no delivery costs fair. If I recieved that offer from you, I'd let the other potential buyer know and allow him a chance to up his offer.

xx

If you agree a price then an item should be sold to the buyer for that price. Subsequent higher offers should be refused.

Avoid monthly payments unless you're dealing with a shop. It's unnecessarily complicated and will only lead to trouble. This goes for both parties.

Private sales are supposed to be gentlemanly. If someone gives you a deposit for something then has to pull out of the sale for whatever reason, give them the fucking money back.

Having said all that everyone's circumstances are different and there could be exceptions to the rules depending on the situation.

Basically going back to the original post I'd say Ronz has a genuine grievance here but Stroopy had bills to pay so I can understand why he took the higher offer. This fence isn't very comfortable to sit on...

What he said

I 100% agree. As I said before and iterated sincerely a few times in my texts to Ron, I hated backing out but the only reason I'm selling is because I desperately need the money. Had it been a bit of a clearout to fund new toys or whatever, I'd happily have declined the higher offers in favour of honouring an agreement with Ron.

BUT - I do think that Dave is on to something, too. If opportunity comes to buy the same thing for cheaper, no buyer would think twice about backing out of the deal.

Moral of the story: Life sucks, get a helmet.

xx

Stroop, it works both ways - how would you have felt if Ronz matched the higher offer only to pull out last minute, and you'd lost the other interested party?

I've gotta say that Ronz has been given a fair bit of unnecessary stick in here. I'm with the 'a deal's a deal' crowd, mostly. What Chris said is pretty bang on, although in principle I also have no issue with Ronz holding onto the dude's deposit either - all these people saying 'business is business' and 'money is money' and then giving him stick for holding onto a DEPOSIT someone had put down so he would hold on to the guitar while he paid it up?

• Upvote 1