aberdeen-music

Gaza

jester1470

Not a subject i know a great deal about, however Marillion have just released a track from their new album called Gaza. The song is meant to be a view of the conflict through the eyes of a child in Gaza.

What's amazed me is the backlash from Americans and the Israeli's on this, they can't perceive that it's not a direct attack on either side of the war but an examination of the conditions on one side.

I knew it was an emotive subject for some but I wasn't prepared for some of the comments, including people stating that they're not treated unfairly and all lying about being poor, and they don;t need aid because there are 600 millionaires in Gaza - there must be a fair few millionaires in Scotland, it doesn't make me any closer to being one ! From the research I've done it seems neither side can particularly cover themselves in glory and I can understand that the Israeli's may be unhappy about it, but I really don;t get why so many Americans are reacting to the song.Can anyone explain why this seems to be such a big deal for the US ?

The reaction has genuinely surprised me. I thought people could see the difference between a comment on the humanitarian aspect of something and the political aspect, but apparently not - has anyone else accidentally waded into this minefield before ?

For anyone interested... it does go on a bit long though...

Some of the comments on the youtube video show people's thoughts and some are really quite surprising to me.

• 2 months later...

This is one of these situations that make me feel completely stupid. I know very little about it beyond the simplistic view that the palestinians have been getting huckled out of their own country for years now because the Jews feel they have a god-given right to occupy the land. That's pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

I've got friends who join pro-palestine marches and one who has even been to gaza to do humanitarian work. I've also got a lot of Jewish friends, who whilst they are on the whole complete pacifists, i'm assuming have differing views. So I really try to keep my mouth shut - I wish I knew more about the situation. Anyone know of any good unbiased sources to read up on it?

I don't for one minute believe that there aren't poisonous groups of people on both sides of the conflict, but I tend to sympathise with the Palestinians. Israel flagrantly lies about not targeting civilians but there's countless examples that suggest otherwise. This is a conflict that probably has nothing whatsoever to do with destroying Hamas, "creating peace," and stopping rocket attacks on Israel.

I think it'd be just for Palestine to be granted statehood status at the next UN Assembly and for murderous cowards like Sharon and Netanyahu to be tried as genocidal war criminals. The cynic in me believes that this will never happen, though.

• Upvote 1

People should not be allowed to fire rockets into built up areas. The cynic in me believes that this will never happen, though.

I'm not that clued up on it either beyond the basic details and vague notions that I'm 'Team Palestine' and generally against the music of Marillion. Really I'm just against murder and hopefully one day that will be a worldwide notion to which there is no argument because what is happening is fucking ridiculous. Oh yes, it's easy to say that from my comfortable two-bed flat with my middle class western upbringing and decent education and all that...

I am much more aware of this particular episode because of posts I've seen on social media, albeit some of it ill informed and hastily shared. Maybe Facebook will be a force for good one day. Facebook and world peace - that's all we'll need.

• Upvote 1

Scary opinion piece written by the son of Ariel Sharon - genuinely frightening and stating the only way for Israel is to commit genocide in Gaza, ironic because the Israeli's usually seem t justify their position by saying that the Palestinians can't live in peace with them as they want to wipe them out.

http://www.jpost.com/Opinion/Op-EdContributors/Article.aspx?id=292466