aberdeen-music

Europe City Breaks Suggestions?

berti

Pretty much what it says on the tin, not really been away on many city breaks and looking to take the missus away in November but since there are so many interesting places to choose from, just looking for any suggestions from places folks have been and found proper bo'

Anything out of the mainstream suggestions that wouldn't be immediately obvious choices would be just super.

Ta muchly......

Fairly mainstream suggestion but I went to Brussels not so long ago and it was absolutely beautiful. Loads to see and do, reasonably priced and more delicious beer than you could possibly get through. Also went to Paris in July and while it lived up to everything I'd been brought to expect, it was frustratingly expensive for everything.

xx

• Upvote 1

I absolutely fell in love with a town called Bamberg in Germany when I was on tour one time. Really beautiful historic town, and it avoided any bombing from the Allies during WWII, so it is entirely in tact - a lot of twelvth, thirteenth and fourteenth century buildings are still standing strong. The markings made by the executioner when he was sharpening his cleaver are still evident on the cathedral wall beside the gallows.

It was also the centre of some pretty grave witch trials in the seventeenth century, if that interests you, and the local smoked beer tastes of smoked ham. If you're into that sort of thing.

It may not have the same mainstream romantic appeal that a Bruges, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Paris, or Prague has; but it definitely has something for those into serene city breaks with a bit of architecture, history, and character. Plus, it is a town that doesn't feel the need to capitalise on tourist dollar - you will not overpay for anything in Bamberg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamberg

I absolutely fell in love with a town called Bamberg in Germany when I was on tour one time. Really beautiful historic town, and it avoided any bombing from the Allies during WWII, so it is entirely in tact - a lot of twelvth, thirteenth and fourteenth century buildings are still standing strong. The markings made by the executioner when he was sharpening his cleaver are still evident on the cathedral wall beside the gallows.

It was also the centre of some pretty grave witch trials in the seventeenth century, if that interests you, and the local smoked beer tastes of smoked ham. If you're into that sort of thing.

It may not have the same mainstream romantic appeal that a Bruges, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Paris, or Prague has; but it definitely has something for those into serene city breaks with a bit of architecture, history, and character. Plus, it is a town that doesn't feel the need to capitalise on tourist dollar - you will not overpay for anything in Bamberg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamberg

Are the locals called Bams?

• Upvote 2

Hamburg, I had an absolutely terrific weekend there last year. It's such a funny city, its really arty and bohemian, there's tons of tiny little clubs and bars playing Northern Soul etc. I felt like I'd stepped back in time to the 60s in a few places. The city centre itself is modern but all the buildings are really old and ornate, it's a beautiful place. I remember remarking one morning "this is the kind of city that you could really fall in love with". It does have sleazy bits though, the Reeperbahn is pretty much Amsterdam without the weed.

Cheers guys, I was actually looking at Milan last night so i shall steer clear of that one! Have been tempted by Germany also though, Cologne was swaying me but Brugge had also popped into my head. Will definitely look at the home of the Bams though, sounds just like the sort of place I'm looking for. I'm actually going to Amsterdam the weekend before with my pal and Brussels in October for the fitba so they're ruled out by default!

Nice work!

I really liked Tallinn when I was there the other year - beautiful old city, with lots of stuff going on. Not too expensive either. And it's in a nice country.

Interesting, i shall speak to my mate's bird who is Estonian. She will surely be able to provide some decent incite into it. Ta!

I second the 'Milan is shit' notion. Really didn't enjoy the place.

A bit different but Nice or Marseille could be a good shout. Absolutely stunning weather at this time of year, great food and a very seaside vibe so you could go to the beach and eat fish and ice cream and stuff.

Berlin is one city I've always fancied too. Everyone who goes loves it.

Edit: you said november, so forget it. Although flights would be cheaper.

• Upvote 1

Pretty much what it says on the tin, not really been away on many city breaks and looking to take the missus away in November but since there are so many interesting places to choose from, just looking for any suggestions from places folks have been and found proper bo'

Anything out of the mainstream suggestions that wouldn't be immediately obvious choices would be just super.

Ta muchly......

Brechin, love it there!

I second the 'Milan is shit' notion. Really didn't enjoy the place.

A bit different but Nice or Marseille could be a good shout. Absolutely stunning weather at this time of year, great food and a very seaside vibe so you could go to the beach and eat fish and ice cream and stuff.

Berlin is one city I've always fancied too. Everyone who goes loves it.

Edit: you said november, so forget it. Although flights would be cheaper.

Nice is ace. Love the old town bars and restaurants and Monaco is a short, cheap train journy away too.

Guest davetherave

Budapest is one of my fav places in europe, but I'd also rate Krakow, Bruges, Copenhagen (expensive), Amsterdam (try the museum district as well as the usual haunts around Dam square).

I think at that time of year, I can safely disregard weather as a deciding factor. Budapest is somewhere i never really thought of.

lot's to see, excellent nightlife, cheap.

Does that statement just apply to Bucharest? I don't imagine Prague or Barcelona to be cheap.....

I think at that time of year, I can safely disregard weather as a deciding factor. Budapest is somewhere i never really thought of.

Does that statement just apply to Bucharest? I don't imagine Prague or Barcelona to be cheap.....

Prague is cheap as shit if you avoid tourist traps and eat/drink off the main squares. It is, however, completely infested with LADZ ON TOUR bell-ends in matching polo shirts, so beware.

Berlin would be my recommendation. It's a great city with loads of interesting history and culture, excellent nightlife, grit, class, good food, good beer... everything, basically. Love the place, and a trip their doesn't have to be expensive either. Munich is also excellent. Beer halls every night, yes sir.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, that was the one thing putting me off Prague, the G Star and Abercrombie contingent.

I think Germany is winning me over at the moment, thinking about flying into Munich, spend a night or two there then get the train to Bamberg for a few nights there. Only couple hours train journey so seems reasonable.

Cheers for all the suggestions so far though!