aberdeen-music

Making your own pedal board.

unbroken

Looking it up online a bit, struggling to find what I'm after really (weird, I know).

Any tips and tricks? Tried and tested methods?

Basically going to be making a pedal board that is big enough to hold a large bunch of my pedals. Probably around 8 or so at a time (although I rarely use that much).

Need to be big enough to fit a Line 6 DL4, a Big Muff, a pedal that is the size of an Marshall Channel selector footswitch and a bunch of boss size pedals.

I was thinking of basically building it into a metal case (http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=26612&Referrer=googleproductlisting&gclid=CMTgy5mc-7ECFZMftAodhk8Axw)

Cheers in advance.

I looked into building one a while back, and what put me off was that I didn't have the tools required to build something. I wasn't away to buy them, so I just had to bite the bullet and shell out for a board the size I needed. Beware how big you make it, if you go down that route, they can get bloody heavy!

• Upvote 1

Me and my old man are currently in the process of building a couple of pedal boards.

We've decided to go along the same idea as the Pedaltrain boards with an outer frame with slats in the middle and raised at the back.

Similar to this

PedalTrain1.jpg

Ours are going to be made out of wood opposed to metal as neither of us are overly experienced in welding and fabricating.

Key is to plan it out. Get some cheap materials so you can make a couple of test boards as well.

If you are planning on putting it in a case I'd get the case first rather than take the manufacturers dimensions for granted.

• Upvote 2

Me and my old man are currently in the process of building a couple of pedal boards.

We've decided to go along the same idea as the Pedaltrain boards with an outer frame with slats in the middle and raised at the back.

Similar to this

PedalTrain1.jpg

Ours are going to be made out of wood opposed to metal as neither of us are overly experienced in welding and fabricating.

Key is to plan it out. Get some cheap materials so you can make a couple of test boards as well.

If you are planning on putting it in a case I'd get the case first rather than take the manufacturers dimensions for granted.

I was thinking maybe building to a design like this....

I'm always a bit sceptical of the build quality of these things...but thanks, will look into it

the trailer trash boards are very well made , folded sheet steel with proper welds and very well finished , they are available from guitar guitar in the uk , mine has seen lots of action over the five years I have had it including outdoor gigs in a ski resort and it's like new , the blackbird ones look very similar but I have no experience with them

• Upvote 1

If you want a pedalboard similar to Pedaltrain, you can use a shelving unit called 'Gorm' from Ikea as the basis for it. There is more than one size of Gorm out there and some other shops stock similar shelves.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2271963-My-Do-It-Yourself-IKEA-Pedalboard-Build-Thread (the same as posted in thread above me but on another forum)

I looked into this before and I found that although you could make the pedalboard itself fairly cheaply, if you didn't already have a case that you could use or otherwise source a fitted case inexpensively - it is unlikely you will save any real amount of money over buying one of the commercially available boards out there, including pedaltrain.

I had a Diego pedalboard ages ago. They're pretty solid, but somewhat superfluously priced for what is essentially plywood wrapped in canvas.

I 'built' my own a while back; an old cupboard door wrapped in black gaffa tape (stops it sliding about) and then velcro chucked on the top of it. It's not the safest sort of thing, it's got no lid or anything, but suits me just fine.

I still power everything with one of those old school power banks you used to get off eBay. It's served me fine.

• Upvote 1