aberdeen-music

Pedal board help!

meiklejohn

Okay guys im an engineer and just made myself a total bitching pedal board... however i have NO clue in how i should arrange them? I've been using a boss me-50 (which is for sale now) just bought a lot of pedals, what order do i put them in? I have, 3 distortions, xotic booster, compressor, flange, tuner, cry baby wah, delay and chorus... help me please :-)

there are no set ways to hook up a pedal board, some effects sound different in different places according to your taste and preference.

the basic most common way would be, tuner>compressor>wah>booster>overdrive1>overdrive2>overdrive3>chorus>flange>delay

why did you buy all those pedals?

well, it depends doesn't it? Does he want his distorted sound 'delayed', or his clean delayed sound distorted?

By the same token I would disagree with your suggestion to put the wage at the end. That way you will be wahing the delay rather than delaying the wah, very different sounds.

I'd put the distortions in order of gain, most gain at the amp end of the chain. Overdriving a distortion pedal sounds awesome - distortion into overdrive not so good.

I run a delay before my overdrives and one in the f/x loop for clean sounds - there's a lot to be said for distorting delays.............

I agree with Soda, id even go as far to say wrap them all in bin bags and make sure you change the position of each pedal every time you go to play, that way each pedal will be a surprise and wont get bogged down working out where effects should go, you just need to decide when you want extra noise and just stomp on pedals.

This is what I do.

Wah > Tuner > Overdrive > Fuzz > Distortion > Flanger > Chorus > Delay > Amp

Order of dirt is something you will probably be best to experiment with as it really depends on many things. I sometimes use overdrive to boost the other dirt pedals, so going before the other dirt pedals is necessary for this. If you want to boost the signal going into the amp with a boost pedal, then putting it last in the chain would probably make sense to avoid other things clipping and keeping things otherwise consistent.

There are also other practical considerations like the types of inputs output and if you have any intention of running it in a stereo setup. For example, my chorus pedal has stereo outputs but my flanger doesn't so that kind of determines where they go accordingly as I have 2 amps.

If you have an effects loop, you probably want to put delays in there and possibly mod effects.

I used to have a crapload of pedals but i decided that i wasn't making enough use of them so i stripped down to Tuner-Volume Pedal-Overdrive-Distortion-Delay (in my current band it just goes Tuner-Overdrive) and if i'm using my own amp i tend to drop the Distortion as the distorted channel on my DSL100 is more than adequate.