aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Stroopy121

Respect for Others' Beliefs

There's also some truth in saying that Mother Teresa and her mob spend years teaching africans NOT to use condoms, claiming that they caused the spread of AIDs, rather than preventing it. Another belief I don't respect.

xx

what a bitch

• Upvote 1

Guest davetherave

That whole catholic thing about contraception is total stupidity. The world is overpopulated as it is, then there's the spread of STD's , AIDS, etc, the church has a lot to answer for!

• Upvote 1

That whole catholic thing about contraception is total stupidity. The world is overpopulated as it is, then there's the spread of STD's , AIDS, etc, the church has a lot to answer for!

not to mention the mental scars the priests have inflicted on innocent choir boys

That's nothing to do with religion though.

Unless you want to argue that the celibate lifestyle of the priests in question contributed to their warped sexual desires?

I'm not saying it did, mind, the guys could have joined the church BECAUSE they wanted to fuck kids. It's just a theory but in my eyes it holds a little water.

xx

• Upvote 1

Unless you want to argue that the celibate lifestyle of the priests in question contributed to their warped sexual desires?

I'm not saying it did, mind, the guys could have joined the church BECAUSE they wanted to fuck kids. It's just a theory but in my eyes it holds a little water.

xx

That made me spit out my coffee.

You have such a way with words.

It's almost poetic.

• Upvote 1

There is some truth there...

Not really, as she used a double negative. Improper misconduct would suggest that it's the proper conduct for sex.

Not really, as she used a double negative. Improper misconduct would suggest that it's the proper conduct for sex.

Glad someone got it :)

xx

Doubt that priests are any more likely to abuse children than anyone else. It's just that they're within a structure that has traditionally covered up their actions and intimidates victims against coming forward. It probably seems like it's happened a lot, but it will be down to many victims revealing their abuse at the same time.

Discussions about beliefs are challenging because often the non-believers arguments are based on the activities of organised religion/religous extremists, rather than the faith itself. Interesting to hear different views tho.

xx

Nah, it's something that they're predisposed to regardless of religion. Not all priests are required to be celibate though so it doesn't follow that those that are celibate are the only ones that'll be kiddling the fids.

Nah, it's something that they're predisposed to regardless of religion. Not all priests are required to be celibate though so it doesn't follow that those that are celibate are the only ones that'll be kiddling the fids.

I'd be inclined to agree. I'm not particularly well-read on the subject so am just theorising. Victims of sexual assult (adult or child) tend to develop unhealthy attitudes towards sex and I read somewhere(don't ask me for a reference here, just something I read in passing) that "un-natural" sexual upbringings/educations have been known to develop into more sever problems when a person is older.

I don't know if any/all/most/few of the instances of sexual abuse by religious figures involved priests from troubled youths or if they were celebate or victims of abusive relationships in their younger years. I'd be very interested to know, mind.

xx

My personal view is that I respect peoples right to believe whatever they want and I won't go out of my way to debate this with people. I believe that religion, on the whole, is a force for good but not that religion in itself is a good thing. In other words, most people who are part of an organised religion feel part of it through a love for their fellow man, a desire to good and a deep sense of what is morally right. Encouraging these values is a good thing. There are some who use religion for very bad things indeed. However this isn't the fault of religion, this is the fault of bad people with religion as their tool.

Religion, the belief in a higher spiritual being and other fairy tales, is a total distraction from what we should be focusing on as a planet. We are in a unique position among carbon based lifeforms to be able to combine all our efforts in the pursuit of knowledge, peace and exploration yet we waste trillions on areas that are just a sideshow. I'd rather build spaceships than cathedrals.

I have no respect for extremist religious views however. creationists who and anyone who wants to teach religious doctrine as fact in schools are dicks. we should be aiming for a greater seperation of church and state, towards a full secular society not more religious schools. fuck that.

• Upvote 1

I believe that religion, on the whole, is a force for good but not that religion in itself is a good thing.

This makes no sense.

This makes no sense.

it makes total sense, in my head. i tried to explain afterwards too. ah well.

i basically mean that people involved with religions all over the world do good things, and are encouraged to do good things by that religion. Most religions central message is a positive one based on peace and love. This is good.

Religion though, is a distraction from other more important things which is bad.

Anyway, that's why i've been staying out of these threads. My point is hard to make clearly without offending people so I tend to just leave people to believe whatever they want and just concentrate on reading about stuff.

it makes total sense, in my head. i tried to explain afterwards too. ah well.

i basically mean that people involved with religions all over the world do good things, and are encouraged to do good things by that religion. Most religions central message is a positive one based on peace and love. This is good.

Religion though, is a distraction from other more important things which is bad.

Anyway, that's why i've been staying out of these threads. My point is hard to make clearly without offending people so I tend to just leave people to believe whatever they want and just concentrate on reading about stuff.

Sorry, I was being a bit short there. I just read what you posted quickly and it sounded all a bit muddled.

My 2p (and I know some are tired of hearing this already) is that religion does more bad than good. As I think you're trying to say, it is at best an unnecessary distraction in the world. To paraphrase the late great Christopher Hitchens, it doesn't take religion to make people do good things but it does take religion to make good people do terrible things. Religion has long since served it's purpose and I'm confident that as the world becomes more developed it will eventually fade into history (we see this in Western Europe today to some extent). Newer countries (e.g. USA) and those in poverty and conflict (Africa, Middle-East) continue to cling on to religion but they'll realise in time it's just holding back their development and advancement on the world stage. It is no coincidence that the three major religions of the world all originated from the same poor, illiterate and arguably most backwards region of the world - the Middle East. They were throwing rocks at each other 2000 years ago over their religious beliefs and they still do it today.

It's time to grow up and move on. We should never be afraid of questioning and challenging other people's beliefs and actions.

By the way, for those wanting to get a scientific and more measured analysis of religion's continued existence and attraction in the world, but are maybe put off by the more vitriolic Hitchens/Dawkins take on the topic, then I highly recommend the written work of Dan Dennett. He has a couple of talks up on TED which are worth checking out as well:

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_dennett_on_dangerous_memes.html

http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_dennett_s_response_to_rick_warren.html

• Upvote 1

oh i totally forgot the other point i was going to make in this thread. there are believes i find very hard to have respect for, those that believe in psuedoscience and use them to promote alternative therapies which people take in place of proper medicine/food or even to prey on the weak and vulnerable (psychics/mediums/evangelists). If you believe a crystal or sugar pill will cure your achy knee then fine but if you tell someone that it'll cure their cancer then you're a dick.

I suppose if I'm being perfectly honest, if one of the first things I found out about a new acquaintance was that they practiced a religion, they'd start off with negative respect points.

• Upvote 1

My major problem with religion is its need to be organised into something that is little more than a business which also in turn makes it politically powerful.

While personally I think it is moronic to follow religion, I wouldn't feel so aggrieved by religion if it wasn't as above and people believed what they believe without the massive structure behind it.

I'd be inclined to agree. I'm not particularly well-read on the subject so am just theorising. Victims of sexual assult (adult or child) tend to develop unhealthy attitudes towards sex and I read somewhere(don't ask me for a reference here, just something I read in passing) that "un-natural" sexual upbringings/educations have been known to develop into more sever problems when a person is older.

I don't know if any/all/most/few of the instances of sexual abuse by religious figures involved priests from troubled youths or if they were celebate or victims of abusive relationships in their younger years. I'd be very interested to know, mind.

xx

I don't think the theory that being the victim of paedophilia engenders paedophilia in your adult life holds much weight in that area of study, if that's what you mean? There's probably the same percentage of child abusers in other environments where non-familial adult/child relationships are prevalent (schools, scouts, sports clubs etc.) than there is in the church and I'm not sure it has anything to do with celibacy either - it is more likely just the opportunity to exercise their desires. I don't fancy spending the evening reading about it though.

I suppose if I'm being perfectly honest, if one of the first things I found out about a new acquaintance was that they practiced a religion, they'd start off with negative respect points.

I have to admit to this a bit too. Not my finest trait but I can't help it. It doesn't mean we won't go on to be wonderful friends but we'll never go steady.

On the original point I go with respecting the right to believe, not the belief itself.