aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Stroopy121

Respect for Others' Beliefs

So given all the chat in the Equal Marriage thread about religion and some of the "disrespectful" chat going on:

What does respect for others' beliefs mean to you?

If someone believes something that you do not believe, that is their right. Does respect for that belief mean you can't make fun of it? That you can't question it or discuss it from a cynical point of view? Or is respect for others' beliefs merely a matter of acknowledging that they have the right to believe what they want to?

Personally, I respect people and I respect their rights but when it comes to respecting their beliefs, I'm unsure of exactly what is expected. I have a great deal of respect for Dave the mod. He always presents articulate, well reasoned and very well-informed arguments. I respect his right to be a Christian (just as I respect anyone's right to do so) but if I were discussing biology (for a convenient example) with a young-earth-creationist christian who didn't believe in evolution, I wouldn't think it disrespectful to point at the examples in biology that show, heruistically, that evolution is a very viable theory. If I respect someone, then I'll have a reasonable (albeit often somewhat passionate) debate about these things.

xx

Scientology.

Prime example.

I worked with someone who followed this faith and found the theory behind it completely fascinating!

He had to pay for enlightenment though, and it wasn't cheap at all.

More and more people tend to be converting though.

Although I've been told that it was started by a science fiction writer. A very rich one now!

Still fascinating though.

I don't want this to turn into a debate about people's beliefs, just a discussion about what, to them, constitutes respect for their beliefs. I've heard a load of people say you have to respect other peoples' beliefs but nobody say what that actually means.

xx

In my opinion, respecting someone's beliefs doesn't mean you can't question them.

If that were true, we might all be speaking German right now.

• Upvote 1

In my opinion, respecting someone's beliefs doesn't mean you can't question them.

If that were true, we might all be speaking German right now.

Godwin's Law 101.

• Upvote 3

So given all the chat in the Equal Marriage thread about religion and some of the "disrespectful" chat going on:

What does respect for others' beliefs mean to you?

If someone believes something that you do not believe, that is their right. Does respect for that belief mean you can't make fun of it? That you can't question it or discuss it from a cynical point of view? Or is respect for others' beliefs merely a matter of acknowledging that they have the right to believe what they want to?

Personally, I respect people and I respect their rights but when it comes to respecting their beliefs, I'm unsure of exactly what is expected. I have a great deal of respect for Dave the mod. He always presents articulate, well reasoned and very well-informed arguments. I respect his right to be a Christian (just as I respect anyone's right to do so) but if I were discussing biology (for a convenient example) with a young-earth-creationist christian who didn't believe in evolution, I wouldn't think it disrespectful to point at the examples in biology that show, heruistically, that evolution is a very viable theory. If I respect someone, then I'll have a reasonable (albeit often somewhat passionate) debate about these things.

xx

I respect your right to use the word heruistically, but thats about as far as I'm willing to go.

I think it's all about how you question them and when. Attacking beliefs without any context and outwith a response to something the other person has said or done shows a lack of respect. You also need to show the ability to listen to their response when you question them.

Basically you can't just go to someone and shout "You're a fucking idiot, there is no god you cretin!" That's pretty dis-respectful.

• Upvote 3

You should be able to question everything. Including someone's beliefs and why they believe them. But remember, respect is earned.

It's also worth gaining a level of understanding around someones beliefs as that knowledge may help you understand why they believe in the first place. I always find non-believers can be very dismissive of faith/religion in general and a lot of them are that way because they don't understand it themselves.

For the record i'm not a practising Christian but i was baptised by the CoS when i was a child. My parents aren't pracitising Christians either but my Grandparents were. I've attended Church services for Funerals, Weddings and Baptisms since I distanced myself from Christianity and have a healthy respect and understanding for Christianity. Christianity is also an area that i research as a hobby and whilst in Italy for my Honeymoon (my wedding was conducted by a registrar) i spent a good amount of time in some of the old Chapels/Churches where we were staying taking photos, looking at architecture and enjoyed it thoroughly.

My main problem with organised religion is that it is spoiled for the many by the actions of the few. It's one of the reasons that i consider myself a Misanthropist.

• Upvote 4

There's also a question of where is the line of respect/tolerance drawn?

At my great-grandma's funeral, the minister kept going on about how it was god's plan and basically his whole point is that it's a good thing she's deid. I respected my family's right to have a christian service. But I had to tolerate the minister. I didn't respect the minister. It would have been okay if he had said "it's better that she's dead because now she doesn't have to suffer and can live a life in heaven that's pretty damn awesome" but instead it was all about how it was god's choice, and we should respect that because god is all powerful and we should be happy she's dead because now she can be with god. I really wanted to stand up and say "Fuck off, god can take a bite of my arse. he has no right to take away my family. wanted to do something good? take away the demtia you big bearded sandal wearing turd burglar"

But I respected my family's beliefs too much to do that.

• Upvote 2

My main problem with organised religion is that it is spoiled for the many by the actions of the few. It's one of the reasons that i consider myself a Misanthropist.

Not a Philanthropist?

xx

Guest davetherave

Agree with Chris, its all about two way discussion, if people want to belive in an imaginary all powerful being that created the world in 7 days thats ok, as long as they respect my belief that the planet evolved over millions of years and there is no god!

The pastafarians have the right idea ;) , long live the flying spaghetti monster !

• Upvote 3

Sounds pretty reasonable.

"Were you aware that the technology we have allows to calculate the age of this rock at a bazillion years old? Does that affect your belief that the earth is 6,000 years old?" - Respectful.

"YOU FUCKIN ARSETARD EARTH CANNAE BE 6THOOSAND YEARS AULD, MY GRANDA IS AULDER THAN 'AT!" - Disrespectful.

What about respecting religious or political views that are disrespectful themselves? (as discussed in the marriage thread, a minority group in some respects but they still exist.)

xx

"Fuck off, god can take a bite of my arse. he has no right to take away my family. wanted to do something good? take away the demtia you big bearded sandal wearing turd burglar"

so you appear to believe that god has a beard (I'm not sure if it's a big beard or god is big) , wears sandals and is gay , so if he was lucky enough to find love , would he be upset that his very own church would not allow him to get married in a religious ceremony ?

• Upvote 1

Sounds pretty reasonable.

"Were you aware that the technology we have allows to calculate the age of this rock at a bazillion years old? Does that affect your belief that the earth is 6,000 years old?" - Respectful.

"YOU FUCKIN ARSETARD EARTH CANNAE BE 6THOOSAND YEARS AULD, MY GRANDA IS AULDER THAN 'AT!" - Disrespectful.

What about respecting religious or political views that are disrespectful themselves? (as discussed in the marriage thread, a minority group in some respects but they still exist.)

xx

such as the KKK?

Far Right Extremists who adhere to protestant Christianity?

"Today the White Camelia Knights of the Ku Klux Klan use quotes from the Bible as well as examples from world history to support their beliefs. As this group attempts to define Christian identity they give reasons why white Christians are a superior people. They state that “it is the Anglo-Saxon, Germanic and Scandinavian people that has created great nations and civilizations. Through our laws and technology we have helped raise the standard of living for all the people on earth. Through our great knowledge in farming and agriculture we have helped feed the world and have taught others how to feed themselves.“ This belief provides for the Klansman his sense of racial superiority.

The Camelia Knights state that they look to Christ’s own words to defend their opinions. They quote Jesus as saying to the Jews in John 10:24-27: “ye are not of my sheep…My sheep here my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.” The Knights add that there is only one group of people that has always followed Christ and they are White Anglo-Saxon Christians. They discuss how Christians have spread their religion all over the world using missionaries so that people across the world “could live a more productive and stable and moral life here on earth.” However, the Knights also believe that one of the worst violations of the Heavenly Father’s law is the mingling of their (white race’s) seed with that of the other peoples of the earth. For this reason the Klan opposes racial mixing. "

I strongly disagree (hopefully rightly so) with every single one of their ideologies.

Should we have respect for their beliefs?

And would anyone actually be brave enough to say it?

Scary guys!