aberdeen-music

reading/leeds review

Untitled

bullshit. even the beatles had an image. jerry lee lewis had an image. elvis had a number of images. doesn't mean they didn't have the music too' date=' but they're the ones from those eras who we remember. and once again, i'm not saying bands should wear what's in fashion, but they should make an effort.[/quote']

But you dont remember the Beatles or Elvis because of what they wear do you? Theyre music was far more important and would still of been if they had been on stage wear "ordinary" clothes, surely.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest highroller
mmw even make an effort with their image. i can bet you any amount of money that at least ben takes time presiding over what he's gonna wear on stage' date=' plus him and jamesy don eyeliner and black nail varnish for gigs which they don't normally wear on a day to day basis. okay, they're not so clothing oriented but they still go that little bit extra for gigs.

but i'm talking mostly in terms of bands that have or have had musical longevity. big bands. when you think of the word 'rockstar' i bet there's any one specific person that springs to mind, and it'll be different from person to person but i bet every person that people think of has a specific image. and it's image that separates the rock stars from the blokes in bands. i bet you'd feel really dejected if you went to see aerosmith and steven tyler wasn't wearing a hot pink velvet catsuit but was just in jeans and trainers. it's all part of the spectacle.[/quote']

youre right to a certain extent but ive only worn eyeliner once and nail varnish three times...ive decided to drop it...dont feel the need for the gimmick...dan decided to wear eyeliner and nail varnish at the last show as him and jamesy had dared each other so jamesy did as well...no big deal! Alex will NEVER wear it and Nick would rather just get up and play...!

We all wear onstage what we normally wear actually.

The thing is Mel has a VERY valid point about the true ROCKSTARS ya know? The thing is less and less kids are relating to that now and just are more about the music...Thats why theres a section of kids that love the darkness and a section that hate them. Well its one of the reasons ya know? The thing is...you think of every member of Metallica as a rockstar dont ya? They dont dress up...

Its just different views and takes on it isnt it?

i would of thought people who went to see aerosmith would be there for the songs they know' date=' not just to see him in a cat suit or whatever. sure thats a bonus on top but its about the MUSIC not the clothes!![/quote']

one of the reasons people go and see aerosmith is for their visually elaborate stageshows. it's about the whole package. i'd feel ripped off if i went to see them and steven tyler was wearing his normal day to day clothes. you can wear jeans and a t-shirt anytime. you should put in an effort when you're onstage. you want to give people more reasons to retain you in their minds. looking fucking kickass is one of those reasons.

But you dont remember the Beatles or Elvis because of what they wear do you? Theyre music was far more important and would still of been if they had been on stage wear "ordinary" clothes' date=' surely.[/quote']

maybe not the beatles but certainly elvis. i'd be willing to bet that if you said the word 'elvis' to a group of 30 people, the first thing that would come to mind in the majority's heads would be a fairly fat man with a quiff in a tight white catsuit and cape and would think of the songs afterwards.

one of the reasons people go and see aerosmith is for their visually elaborate stageshows. it's about the whole package. i'd feel ripped off if i went to see them and steven tyler was wearing his normal day to day clothes. you can wear jeans and a t-shirt anytime. you should put in an effort when you're onstage. you want to give people more reasons to retain you in their minds. looking fucking kickass is one of those reasons.

So then you dont go to see bands just for the music then??

You need a stage show of costumes or make up till your happy with the performance?

youre right to a certain extent but ive only worn eyeliner once and nail varnish three times...ive decided to drop it...dont feel the need for the gimmick...dan decided to wear eyeliner and nail varnish at the last show as him and jamesy had dared each other so jamesy did as well...no big deal! Alex will NEVER wear it and Nick would rather just get up and play...!

We all wear onstage what we normally wear actually.

The thing is Mel has a VERY valid point about the true ROCKSTARS ya know? The thing is less and less kids are relating to that now and just are more about the music...Thats why theres a section of kids that love the darkness and a section that hate them. Well its one of the reasons ya know? The thing is...you think of every member of Metallica as a rockstar dont ya? They dont dress up...

Its just different views and takes on it isnt it?

i must have only seen you those three times then. metallica didn't necessarily dress up, but they certainly had an image, especially in the 80s. and that's my argument.

ill agree with mel that its nice to make en effort if youre going onstage - take quik for example - shirts and ties look smart! but i saw them play in jeans and tshirts and enjoyed their set just the same!

i know we're not talking about local bands but i can honestly say if justin hawkins had turned up onstage at leeds in a pair of jeans and a tshirt i might have been shocked but i certainly would have enjoyed the show just as much. clothing is such a minor part of what a band can do with their shows, i dunno, maybe its just me. i like to wear nice clothes and look nice, but it doesnt make me any different as a person so why would it make a band better or worse?

maybe not the beatles but certainly elvis. i'd be willing to bet that if you said the word 'elvis' to a group of 30 people' date=' the first thing that would come to mind in the majority's heads would be a fairly fat man with a quiff in a tight white catsuit and cape and would think of the songs afterwards.[/quote']

You must be joking Elvis was huge because of the style of music he did at the time not because of some silly jump suit he used to wear on stage.

So then you dont go to see bands just for the music then??

You need a stage show of costumes or make up till your happy with the performance?

no i don't. i go for a combination of the music and the image. it doesn't have to be a costume, like justin hawkins wears, but fuck it, bands need to look fucking rock. there's not enough of that left anymore. it's just lucky for me that the bands i do like make that effort. it's not the reason i like them, but r n r bands still see image as important and i'm glad of that.

Guest highroller
i must have only seen you those three times then. metallica didn't necessarily dress up' date=' but they certainly had an image, especially in the 80s. and that's my argument.[/quote']

your argument is definitely a valid one and i think in a way this argument is pointless because we are all arguing the same point..

Metallica have an image and it changes like all good bands do...

I mean if one of weapon showed up to a jam/photoshoot or gig in a catsuit or whatever then there would obviously be words. Thats NOT the image of a band. I just feel in this day and age an understated image is better. SO weapon might all agree on black tee shirts...thats pretty much as far as we go...

All bands have to have images and I hate those that dont...

You must be joking Elvis was huge because of the style of music he did at the time not because of some silly jump suit he used to wear on stage.

once again, you're not reading what i'm saying. his image wasn't why he was huge but more people these days will think of what he looked like first and his songs second. the visuals is what people remember.

no i don't. i go for a combination of the music and the image. it doesn't have to be a costume' date=' like justin hawkins wears, but fuck it, bands need to look fucking rock. there's not enough of that left anymore. it's just lucky for me that the bands i do like make that effort. it's not the reason i like them, but r n r bands still see image as important and i'm glad of that.[/quote']

This isnt ment as a go but i think thats silly to be honest.

A band should be about the music and not what they wear. I could enjoy my favourite band playing live no matter what they decide to wear on stage.

your argument is definitely a valid one and i think in a way this argument is pointless because we are all arguing the same point..

Metallica have an image and it changes like all good bands do...

I mean if one of weapon showed up to a jam/photoshoot or gig in a catsuit or whatever then there would obviously be words. Thats NOT the image of a band. I just feel in this day and age an understated image is better. SO weapon might all agree on black tee shirts...thats pretty much as far as we go...

All bands have to have images and I hate those that dont...

exactly! just like if during the making of the 'one' video the rest of the band may have gotten pissy if kirk hammett showed up in a houndstooth suit and a fez. now there's a thought. i hope milner reads this and finally understands what i've been trying to say all along.

Guest highroller
exactly! just like if during the making of the 'one' video the rest of the band may have gotten pissy if kirk hammett showed up in a houndstooth suit and a fez. now there's a thought. .

hahahahaha

Guest neil ex
ah you kids are just too young to remember devo.

i have actually heard of devo, but you're right i don't remember them. i don't know anything about them it was just devin townsend was what came into my head when you posted devo.

so devo are a band you like but you'd never sit at home and listen to?

exactly! just like if during the making of the 'one' video the rest of the band may have gotten pissy if kirk hammett showed up in a houndstooth suit and a fez. now there's a thought. i hope milner reads this and finally understands what i've been trying to say all along.

Hey dont get me wrong i do inderstand where your coming from i just feel to much emphisis(sp) is made on image these days. But im not trying to put down your views on it although i do seem to have come across that way.

i have actually heard of devo' date=' but you're right i don't remember them. i don't know anything about them it was just devin townsend was what came into my head when you posted devo.

so devo are a band you like but you'd never sit at home and listen to?[/quote']

no i don't like devo, i think they're crap, but i was just using them as an example of a band who are remembered because they had an image.

Guest neil ex
no i don't like devo' date=' i think they're crap, but i was just using them as an example of a band who are remembered because they had an image.[/quote']

yeah, we're not really in disagreement at all. i'm just saying that musicians don't need to rely on image. i think probably every rockstar has an image.

I think the main difference is me and Mel are both big believers in the rock star thing, whilst the ones arguing against the image thing are more into the anti-image thing that grunge sparked off, also we're probably biased being fans of clothing/fashion etc, so naturally we want to see bands that make the most of image. I hate the idea of going to see a band and thinking that I look better than them, it ruins the whole rock star/public mystique. Rock stars should be like super hero's not the guy next door.

I'm not saying I only like a band if they wear outlandish clothes, I like a lot of Indie/Noise-Pop bands who have little/no image whatsoever, but I just think it gives the band so much more, that's what makes them a BAND.

And on the fashion-core front, if the Lost Prophets wish to be fashion-core, me and mel will happily supply them with string vegetable designer couture for the stage.

P.S - If the 44's call themselves big-band-core, do they actually sound like a proper big band a la Count Basie or Nelson Riddel, or are they just a fancy ska band?

P.S - If the 44's call themselves big-band-core' date=' do they actually sound like a proper big band a la Count Basie or Nelson Riddel, or are they just a fancy ska band?[/quote']

Fancy ska.

But back to Leeds.

Oh it was ace.

Top bands for me were (in no real order)

The Distillers

Thursday

Placebo

Morissey

Thrice

Taking Back Sunday.

Never camped before, dont know how I coped without my usual "Do nothing for yourself" attitude. But I survived somewhat.

Best weekend of my life anyway.