aberdeen-music

reading/leeds review

Untitled

i agree with ryan (but i have to since we decided to move to paris and make haute couture out of plastic vegetables on strings.) the memorable musicians with the most staying power are the ones who have an image that ingrains itsself into your mind. from the many looks of elvis, to madonna's chameleon ways, image is as important to longevity as the music is. it gives the hardcore obsessives a means of 'connecting' with a band, like with all the glam rock manics fans in their smeared lipstick and leopard print coats, or the gwennabes of the mid 90's (of which i was one) in sequinned bra straps and bhindis. man, KISS aren't the greatest band in the world but they've had a career spanning almost 5 decades because everyone knows what KISS look like and it's fun to dress up like them. they definately wouldn't have had an ARMY without the image. and they've always been a better band when they wore the make-up than when they decided to reveal themselves and everyone realised they were just a bunch of fat, unattractive blokes. 15 years from now, the bands i'm going to remember are the ones who looked like rockstars. i'd also agree with ryan on the point that if a band are gonna be labelled 'fashioncore' they should actually be wearing a particular staple of the fashion industry. the scissor sisters are the most 'fashioncore' band around just now, because jake shears is totally sporting the fake fur gilet.

as for tight jeans, they only look good on people who look like they're on heroin, like scott weiland.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest highroller

err I think people are not realising what fashioncore is...

first of all its more like an injoke between alot of the hardCORE bands around. Eighteen visions pretty much started it as a couple of the members worked in Banana Republic when the band started out and decided to take that look into their band...

Note that calling a band fashionCORE has the word core in it which means they are hardCORE yes?

We are all victims of some kind of fashion...and dont say that aint the truth...and the whole band and image thing is very important...but image cant make up for a bad band.

err I think people are not realising what fashioncore is...

first of all its more like an injoke between alot of the hardCORE bands around. Eighteen visions pretty much started it as a couple of the members worked in Banana Republic when the band started out and decided to take that look into their band...

Note that calling a band fashionCORE has the word core in it which means they are hardCORE yes?

We are all victims of some kind of fashion...and dont say that aint the truth...and the whole band and image thing is very important...but image cant make up for a bad band.

yes, but the lost prophets are about as hardcore as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. but you referred to them as fashioncore. and just cos it has a 'core' suffix doesn't mean it has to be hardcore. it could be grindcore, munkycore or post-good shit-core.

and we're not all fashion victims ben. you can follow fashion and not be a victim of it, or you can, like ryan and myself, take inspiration from fashion and push your own swing to it with the help of a sewing machine and plenty of fake fur. ;)

Guest highroller
yes' date=' but the lost prophets are about as hardcore as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. but you referred to them as fashioncore. and just cos it has a 'core' suffix doesn't mean it has to be hardcore. it could be grindcore, munkycore or post-good shit-core.

and we're not all fashion victims ben. you can follow fashion and not be a victim of it, or you can, like ryan and myself, take inspiration from fashion and push your own swing to it with the help of a sewing machine and plenty of fake fur. ;)[/quote']

agreed. the prophets do have a post hardcore edge to them.

Image isn't everything though, and it's even led to being a decaptive tool. Look at Busted, McFly and even Girls aloud, their managers/whatever are deliberately making them wear punk and rock clothes to show off some rebellion and use the rock and roll image to sell records. (i.e. Rock and roll's cool, i want to be a rock chick) Anyone that thinks it's not lame... should be shot.

Since hard core's taking heavy music and making it as noisy and over the top as possible whilst still (usually) still maintining melody - i would have thought that fashion-core would be the same but with respect to fashion? Pushing the fashion boundaries in order to try and create new trends/images? no? the 44's call themselves big-band-core, and there's nothing hardcore about them....

Image isn't everything though' date=' and it's even led to being a decaptive tool. Look at Busted, McFly and even Girls aloud, their managers/whatever are deliberately making them wear punk and rock clothes to show off some rebellion and use the rock and roll image to sell records. (i.e. Rock and roll's cool, i want to be a rock chick) Anyone that thinks it's not lame... should be shot.

Since hard core's taking heavy music and making it as noisy and over the top as possible whilst still (usually) still maintining melody - i would have thought that fashion-core would be the same but with respect to fashion? Pushing the fashion boundaries in order to try and create new trends/images? no? the 44's call themselves big-band-core, and there's nothing hardcore about them....[/quote']

agreed it's not everything, but it is important for rockstars to make the effort. and i agree with what you're saying about fashion-core. that's why i'd like to see fashion-core bands in haute couture, because that's where all the high concept, boundary pushing clothing is. lost prophets are just topman-core.

surely we can just wear clothes because we feel comfortable in them and like them' date=' not because theyre making some big statement or so we'll be remembered or because "all the cool bands in the states are doing it"??[/quote']

i'm not talking about 'us' i'm talking about bands. it goes back to the effort thing again, and plays a huge part in why some of the most successful bands were remembered. but on a side note, as a girl you should know that sometimes we do wear things we're not comfortable in just because they look great, like corsets and stilettos.

Guest neil ex
agreed it's not everything' date=' but it is important for rockstars to make the effort. [/quote']

yeah, it's important for rockstars to make an effort but it would be a pretty moronic comment to say that musicians have to wear stupid outfits to be memorable.

did anyone see stereolab?

no i'm talking about devo, the band, not devin townsend, prime example of a not great band who achieved longevity most likely through stupid outfits.

devo.jpg

and i'm not saying that generally bands need to wear stupid outfits. they need to look good though, like they have made an effort before going onstage, rather than just throwing on jeans and a t-shirt. i don't dislike bands who don't do that, but i also don't consider them rockstars. but the music i listen to tends to involve people who make that effort, like the backyard babies and motley crue.

ah you kids are just too young to remember devo. they did that song, 'whip it.' dr evil parodies it with 'zip it, zip it good.' but that was just an example of a band that got somewhere because they looked stupid, despite not being very good. but i never said i wanted bands to look stupid. i just want them to make an effort to stand out from every other bloke in jeans and a t-shirt. if i go see a show i want to be visually as well as aurally stimulated. it's important. i think you're just arguing for arguments sake now.

Guest tv tanned
ive never even heard of that band before. neil didnt know who you meant either. doesnt that kinda prove that image isnt really enough to make a band stand out in someones memory?

the fact that you've never heard of a band automatically means they didn't have longevity or popularity?

Huh?

no not at all!! i hate arguments, and im not arguing, just discussing, its constructive see!

cant a band stimulate visually with good presence and banter rather than just wearing pretty clothes?

MMw tend to put on a good show with all their prancing/jumping/mic swinging malarky, is entertaining visually, nothing particularly special about their clothes! (thats not meant to sound as bad as it does)

This is ridiculas!!

So what if a band wears the new "in" fashion it doesnt improve their music does it??

Surley its about the music and not what they wear!!!

For me bands who have to dress up to be remembered arent rock stars theyre trying to hide the fact that they cant play as well as everyone else so they need something to take the attention away from the music.

Its a sad day when people remember a band because of what they wear on stage and not on the music.

Guest highroller
no not at all!! i hate arguments' date=' and im not arguing, just discussing, its constructive see!

cant a band stimulate visually with good presence and banter rather than just wearing pretty clothes?

MMw tend to put on a good show with all their prancing/jumping/mic swinging malarky, is entertaining visually, nothing particularly special about their clothes! (thats not meant to sound as bad as it does)[/quote']

good point.

no not at all!! i hate arguments' date=' and im not arguing, just discussing, its constructive see!

MMw tend to put on a good show with all their prancing/jumping/mic swinging malarky, is entertaining visually, nothing particularly special about their clothes! (thats not meant to sound as bad as it does)[/quote']

mmw even make an effort with their image. i can bet you any amount of money that at least ben takes time presiding over what he's gonna wear on stage, plus him and jamesy don eyeliner and black nail varnish for gigs which they don't normally wear on a day to day basis. okay, they're not so clothing oriented but they still go that little bit extra for gigs.

but i'm talking mostly in terms of bands that have or have had musical longevity. big bands. when you think of the word 'rockstar' i bet there's any one specific person that springs to mind, and it'll be different from person to person but i bet every person that people think of has a specific image. and it's image that separates the rock stars from the blokes in bands. i bet you'd feel really dejected if you went to see aerosmith and steven tyler wasn't wearing a hot pink velvet catsuit but was just in jeans and trainers. it's all part of the spectacle.

This is ridiculas!!

So what if a band wears the new "in" fashion it doesnt improve their music does it??

For me bands who have to dress up to be remembered arent rock stars theyre trying to hide the fact that they cant play as well as everyone else so they need something to take the attention away from the music.

Its a sad day when people remember a band because of what they wear on stage and not on the music.

well said you lovely boy!

but i'm talking mostly in terms of bands that have or have had musical longevity. big bands. when you think of the word 'rockstar' i bet there's any one specific person that springs to mind' date=' and it'll be different from person to person but i bet every person that people think of has a specific image. and it's image that separates the rock stars from the blokes in bands. i bet you'd feel really dejected if you went to see aerosmith and steven tyler wasn't wearing a hot pink velvet catsuit but was just in jeans and trainers. it's all part of the spectacle.[/quote']

my dad got me listening to people like the rolling stones and david bowie and theyre the kinda artists that i would LOVE to see live, but not because they have some sort of stage image thing, just because they make awesome music!!

david bowie certainly has had some weird imagey things in his time, but thats not why i like him as a musician

This is ridiculas!!

bullshit. even the beatles had an image. jerry lee lewis had an image. elvis had a number of images. doesn't mean they didn't have the music too, but they're the ones from those eras who we remember. and once again, i'm not saying bands should wear what's in fashion, but they should make an effort.

my dad got me listening to people like the rolling stones and david bowie and theyre the kinda artists that i would LOVE to see live' date=' but not because they have some sort of stage image thing, just because they make awesome music!!

david bowie certainly has had some weird imagey things in his time, but thats not why i like him as a musician[/quote']

gaaah i never said that image was the reason to like a band. just that it's important to include image as well as music because it's part of what makes you memorable.

. i bet you'd feel really dejected if you went to see aerosmith and steven tyler wasn't wearing a hot pink velvet catsuit but was just in jeans and trainers. it's all part of the spectacle.

i would of thought people who went to see aerosmith would be there for the songs they know, not just to see him in a cat suit or whatever. sure thats a bonus on top but its about the MUSIC not the clothes!!