aberdeen-music

reading/leeds review

Untitled

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching the highlights on TV last night and I was left asking one question.....what the fuck was the boy who "plays" the keyboard/decks for the Lost Prophets trying to achieve?

Granted I don't know very much about the band, but I do remember the song "The Fake Sound Of Progress" and what it normally sounds like, and when they played it the guy just screamed indecipharably over the top of the song, it was absolutely ridiculous. Also, is it just me or have the Lost Prophets gone from Skatewear officianado's to Topshop poster boys?

On the plus side the guitarist who doesn't look like an Iguana has become the love child of George Michael and Simon Le Bon.

Guest highroller
I was watching the highlights on TV last night and I was left asking one question.....what the fuck was the boy who "plays" the keyboard/decks for the Lost Prophets trying to achieve?

Granted I don't know very much about the band' date=' but I do remember the song "The Fake Sound Of Progress" and what it normally sounds like, and when they played it the guy just screamed indecipharably over the top of the song, it was absolutely ridiculous. Also, is it just me or have the Lost Prophets gone from Skatewear officianado's to Topshop poster boys?

On the plus side the guitarist who doesn't look like an Iguana has become the love child of George Michael and Simon Le Bon.[/quote']

fashion amongst bands like that has moved on....and why not?

basically the more stylish "fashioncore" look is in now and i must say its awesome...Itll take a long time to catch on here...some of the "skater" bands wont move on...its time to get rid of the baggies now!

Its all about the tight jeans and just getting a bit more stylish...

I think it looks cooler now the fact that you get that look then bands come on and rock like fuck!!!

If you pick up any american mags now all the hardcore bands in the US are wearing tight jeans..usually diesel, levis 517's or old navy....

no skate shoes either...just old school trainers...basic nikes (my camouflage ones rule) asics gels, dunlop green flash etc etc....

fashion amongst bands like that has moved on....and why not?

basically the more stylish "fashioncore" look is in now and i must say its awesome...Itll take a long time to catch on here...some of the "skater" bands wont move on...its time to get rid of the baggies now!

Its all about the tight jeans and just getting a bit more stylish...

I think it looks cooler now the fact that you get that look then bands come on and rock like fuck!!!

If you pick up any american mags now all the hardcore bands in the US are wearing tight jeans..usually diesel' date=' levis 517's or old navy....

no skate shoes either...just old school trainers...basic nikes (my camouflage ones rule) asics gels, dunlop green flash etc etc....[/quote']

I'm not really complaining, at least they're having a go, I was just surprised at the suddeness of it, maybe they've been like that for awhile, I haven't really being following their career or anything.

I like some of the stuff that the new bands are wearing, the Lost Prophets looked a little boring but I saw Franz Ferdinand doing their new song on TOTP and they looked excellent. Although I think calling them "fashion core" and then having them wear Old Navy and Topman clothes is a bit of a cop out, they should be in Gaultier couture or at the very least a nice Prada suit.

Leeds was excellent! Loved every minute. TBS were good live with mic tricks and all. I was clever enough to go see Thursday instead of Alexisonfire. Highlights for me though were:

1.FFAF

2.Green Day

3.Lostprophets

but there were so many more including the hill on saturday night which I helped start and ended up with bout 300 people there.

I DID go and see Thursday actually Ben, just havent been online in a few days! It was pishing with rain and I made the effort JUST for you!! well not really, i was curious about them also, they were pretty good although ive kinda reached the point where all hardcore bands just sound the same to me, they werent anything drastically different. luckily i like that sorta music but they werent groundbreaking or anything

Leeds was excellent! Loved every minute. TBS were good live with mic tricks and all. I was clever enough to go see Thursday instead of Alexisonfire. Highlights for me though were:

1.FFAF

2.Green Day

3.Lostprophets

but there were so many more including the hill on saturday night which I helped start and ended up with bout 300 people there.

haha i was on the hill at 5am. i wasnt hardcore enough to roll down it in a bin but i did run down it backwards

cool post but dude...i think you need to take top man out of the equation...they wouldnt wear anything from topman.

HA! That reminds me...

When I was playing in Hookers Green and we went to London, Mart saw the Lost Prophets people, had a chat and gave them a CD of his. Where was it we were in at the time...

Topman!

PS Though I can't remember if they bought anything, but they were definitely trying on some of the stuff...

HA! That reminds me...

When I was playing in Hookers Green and we went to London' date=' Mart saw the Lost Prophets people, had a chat and gave them a CD of his. Where was it we were in at the time...

Topman!

PS Though I can't remember if they bought anything, but they were definitely trying on some of the stuff...[/quote']

I had a dog and his name was B-I-N-G-O.

em who cares what people are wearing and where they get their clothes?

dont see how the fashion of the music scene has any effect on the music' date=' wear what they want, theyre still gonna sound the same

[/quote']

I care.

Bands owe it to their public to look like a band. A band owes it to their public to have that rock star mystique like Zeppelin or Aerosmith, even Slipknot wear the masks!

EVEN Kurt Cobain, high prince of the anti-image grunge thing, sometimes wore a dress onstage.

I want my Rock heroes in smeared lipstick and PVC catsuits, not a nice pair of jeans and a pull-over. Don't get me wrong, I like a nice shirt and loafers as much as the next man, but not for a band!

Me and Ben might have pretty different views on what constitutes good band stage-wear but we're squeezing from the same ketchup bottle, a band's look IS important aswell as the music, that's what makes them a BAND not just some guys making music.

Me and Ben might have pretty different views on what constitutes good band stage-wear but we're squeezing from the same ketchup bottle' date=' a band's look IS important aswell as the music, that's what makes them a BAND not just some guys making music.[/quote']

But you and Ben would both probably be categorised into the 'fashion-core' type people, that think ones image is totally important in showing off personality and how much they do/don't care about conforming with the masses.

I personally don't think a band should have any sort of 'dress code'. It's all just another thing to be branded by; Men in boiler suits and masks = Goffs. Tight shirts, low-hung jeans, cap = emo band.... People will have pre-conceptions about how you're going to sound. Whether or not you manage to break them is irrelevant.

I also think your post was supposed to be ironic.... mostly

No irony.

I find it stomach churning that bands nowadays can get away with making a living from making music and putting no effort into how they look or act or move. It's outrageous, when there's bands out there putting so much into the whole package and performance for beer money and the price of petrol to the next venue, that bands like the Lost Prophets who are dull as fucking dishwater can make vast amounts of cash from prancing about in Topman's finest.

It breaks down like this, there's two types Rock Stars and Musicians, if you're a rock star you look cool, you act cool and image is everything. Musicians are the serious muso types. Both of these are totally valid and accpetable to me, but a band like the Lost Prophets look dull and their performance on those Reading highlights was just embarassing.

But me and Ben are still xxF@$hion-C0o0Rexx to the max.

No irony.

I find it stomach churning that bands nowadays can get away with making a living from making music and putting no effort into how they look or act or move. It's outrageous' date=' when there's bands out there putting so much into the whole package and performance for beer money and the price of petrol to the next venue, that bands like the Lost Prophets who are dull as fucking dishwater can make vast amounts of cash from prancing about in Topman's finest.

It breaks down like this, there's two types Rock Stars and Musicians, if you're a rock star you look cool, you act cool and image is everything. Musicians are the serious muso types. Both of these are totally valid and accpetable to me, but a band like the Lost Prophets look dull and their performance on those Reading highlights was just embarassing.

But me and Ben are still xxF@$hion-C0o0Rexx to the max.[/quote']

Im just taking a guess here but it take it you dont like the lost prophets anyway irrelevent of what they wear, am i right???

I care.

Bands owe it to their public to look like a band. A band owes it to their public to have that rock star mystique like Zeppelin or Aerosmith' date=' even Slipknot wear the masks!

EVEN Kurt Cobain, high prince of the anti-image grunge thing, sometimes wore a dress onstage.

I want my Rock heroes in smeared lipstick and PVC catsuits, not a nice pair of jeans and a pull-over. Don't get me wrong, I like a nice shirt and loafers as much as the next man, but not for a band!

Me and Ben might have pretty different views on what constitutes good band stage-wear but we're squeezing from the same ketchup bottle, a band's look IS important aswell as the music, that's what makes them a BAND not just some guys making music.[/quote']

yeah ok fair enough, i get your point! but i still think that image is way less important than the actual music

say for example, you have a pretty cool unique look going on right, you stand out in a crowd cos of the way you dress and i must say i do like the way you dress! but if i saw you fronting a band that was just alright, nothing special, and then saw a really really good band who were dressed in jeans and tshirts, didnt make too much of an effort, i wouldnt favour your band over the good band, or think yeah that first band werent as good but man they dressed well!

i dont disagree with what youre saying, there is something cool about seeing a band dressed in really cool outfits, looking shit hot and putting on a great show, but at the end of the day, image is not everything!

one of the best bands i saw at leeds was razorlight....what were they wearing? jeans and tshirts mostly, and they looked and sounded fucking amazing - nuff said!