aberdeen-music

Flats available in Aberdeen?

I'd advise against using Gumtree for flat-hunting, just incase you were considering it. Alot of scammers who don't live in Aberdeen are posing as landlords on Gumtree and running off with deposits and the first months rent without handing over keys or anything. I'm sure there's plenty of faithful landlords on there, but it's completely unregulated, and it's populated by a fair number of shit bastards. It's always been apparent, but it's definitely getting worse. Had tons of folk get in touch with me at work over the past couple of months about dickheads having away with the best part of a grand. It's rough.

There's some nasty bastards out there.

Yeah and two of them are gone but they don't seem to update these sites enough. Very very frustrating. Thanks again though really do appreciate it.

I'd advise against using Gumtree for flat-hunting, just incase you were considering it. Alot of scammers who don't live in Aberdeen are posing as landlords on Gumtree and running off with deposits and the first months rent without handing over keys or anything. I'm sure there's plenty of faithful landlords on there, but it's completely unregulated, and it's populated by a fair number of shit bastards. It's always been apparent, but it's definitely getting worse. Had tons of folk get in touch with me at work over the past couple of months about dickheads having away with the best part of a grand. It's rough.

There's some nasty bastards out there.

Going to see a guy off Gumtree tonight about a flat on George Street, are there any questions you would recommend me asking about him as opposed to the actual property?

Going to see a guy off Gumtree tonight about a flat on George Street, are there any questions you would recommend me asking about him as opposed to the actual property?

If it was me, before I handed over any money and signed anything, I'd ask him if he's registered with the council and with the deposit schemes, to make sure he's legit, and not a pirate or something, but that's more for when you're firmly interested in the property.

On a first visit, it's mostly about making sure the property is all up to scratch. No damp, and everything working. The legal stuff can probably wait until you're genuinely interested in actually living there.

• Upvote 1

If it was me, before I handed over any money and signed anything, I'd ask him if he's registered with the council and with the deposit schemes, to make sure he's legit, and not a pirate or something, but that's more for when you're firmly interested in the property.

On a first visit, it's mostly about making sure the property is all up to scratch. No damp, and everything working. The legal stuff can probably wait until you're genuinely interested in actually living there.

Sorry to derail a bit- would you be able to tell me what goes on when the council gets a report of an unregistered landlord? Half the flats in my building are rented out by unregistered folks, one owner has lots of other properties and is, to cut a long story short, not a nice guy and has recently got a few new tenants in who seem really nice. They are brand new to the country and won't know what the rules are and I don't want them to be screwed over :(

• Upvote 1

They get sent a letter which says what'll happen if they don't register. They can get fined wads of money, or have rent penalty notice served, so they receive no rent until they obey the law. The enforcement has only just come into action, but new staff have been hired to go and kick landlords up the arse, so it should be happening as early as the turn of the new year.

• Upvote 1