aberdeen-music

Dedalus and Born Solo at Kef tonight

HummerOfIntenseEvil

Missed the first band, Arctik or whatever they're called, so nowt to say about them.

Born Solo: Oh if only they'd never been born at all. Arf arf.

First song was pretty shit. Basic Nirvana wannabe stuff. The singer even thinks he's Kurt Cobain, with the "I don't care" screeching. However, even Kurt Cobain was more in tune than this guy. Second song sounded like it was called The Fishing Song, although I'm sure it wasn't. Same again, although it somehow managed to be worse. Did they play a third song? Who knows. But what followed next almost had me in tears.

"This is an Alice In Chains song. man In A Box."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo...............................

A complete massacre of one of the finest songs by one of my favourite bands. For a start it would appear they don't actually own Facelift, because if they did they would know that this sounded very little like the said song. Man In A Box has a classic AIC chugging heavy riff. This guitarist played it like someone who didn't know what a palm mute was. And the singer? The only time I could hear him clearly was when he squealed "SHIT." He was obviously impressed that he was swearing in front of 10 people. No one else was. And the solo?????? I played this song for the first time about a month ago on my guitar, and my first attempt was better than this. And I'm a shit guitarist. This was just wrong.

Then came a Nirvana cover (shock!) which was attempted a bit better, but only because it was an easy song (dunno the name of it, but it's one of the ones off Incesticide).

The rest of the songs were in the same vein, ie terrible attempts at rewriting the entire Nirvana back catalogue, and failing miserably. Oh, and a terrible cover of Tourette's, which is probably the worst song off In Utero. Oh but it's such a FUNNY song to cover... :rolleyes:

Advice for this band:

1) Buy a CD that isn't by Nirvana (they'd obviously only borrowed Facelift off someone).

2) Remind the singer that he is from Aberdeen, SCOTLAND, not Aberdeen, Washington. Hence, he shouldn't try to sing like Kurt Cobain. False American accents sound exactly that: false.

3) LEARN TO PLAY YOUR INSTRUMENTS. I couldn't really hear much of the "solos", but I could tell by just watching their fingers that they were pish solos.

4) Remind the drummer that growing your hair long and hitting the drums like a madman does NOT make you Dave Grohl. And it certainly doesn't make you cool.

5) Get some fucking charisma! Three "men" at the front, but no frontman.

Alternatively, just give up. Please.

Anyway.....

Dedalus: Fucking hell, if Born Solo were chalk, then these guys are cheese. And I'm talking the finest edam cheese in the whole of Holland. First song Burn started off with a bit of guitar, then drums, then excellent vocals, and then the bass. This song is immense. I was actually blown away... the wall of sound the two guitarists create is just so intense. And Stephen's vocals are astounding. To speak to him in One Up, you'd never guess he had such a brilliant set of lungs.

Anyway, then came the three EP songs, sounding even more intense live than they do on the EP. And they were performed perfectly. If you don't already have the Dedalus/Politik EP, then you must go out and get it. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, last song was Burn again, although this time it ended with Dave Officer pulling some nice guitar shapes, Stephen taking a fit (not literally, that would be hideous) and a nice wee drum solo. These guys will SURELY be headlining Leeds this time next year, as long as they write some more tunes of this impeccable standard. That was the only downfall of the gig, the lack of songs. Maybe a couple of covers thrown in would have been nice. Or even playing the EP songs again. But that's just nitpicking.

Apologies if that all sounds a bit back-slappy, but I honestly couldn't fault this performance.

Missed the first band' date=' Arctik or whatever they're called, so nowt to say about them.

Born Solo: Oh if only they'd never been born at all. Arf arf.

First song was pretty shit. Basic Nirvana wannabe stuff. The singer even thinks he's Kurt Cobain, with the "I don't care" screeching. However, even Kurt Cobain was more in tune than this guy. Second song sounded like it was called The Fishing Song, although I'm sure it wasn't. Same again, although it somehow managed to be worse. Did they play a third song? Who knows. But what followed next almost had me in tears.

"This is an Alice In Chains song. man In A Box."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo...............................

A complete massacre of one of the finest songs by one of my favourite bands. For a start it would appear they don't actually own Facelift, because if they did they would know that this sounded very little like the said song. Man In A Box has a classic AIC chugging heavy riff. This guitarist played it like someone who didn't know what a palm mute was. And the singer? The only time I could hear him clearly was when he squealed "SHIT." He was obviously impressed that he was swearing in front of 10 people. No one else was. And the solo?????? I played this song for the first time about a month ago on my guitar, and my first attempt was better than this. And I'm a shit guitarist. This was just wrong.

Then came a Nirvana cover (shock!) which was attempted a bit better, but only because it was an easy song (dunno the name of it, but it's one of the ones off Incesticide).

The rest of the songs were in the same vein, ie terrible attempts at rewriting the entire Nirvana back catalogue, and failing miserably. Oh, and a terrible cover of Tourette's, which is probably the worst song off In Utero. Oh but it's such a FUNNY song to cover... :rolleyes:

Advice for this band:

1) Buy a CD that isn't by Nirvana (they'd obviously only borrowed Facelift off someone).

2) Remind the singer that he is from Aberdeen, SCOTLAND, not Aberdeen, Washington. Hence, he shouldn't try to sing like Kurt Cobain. False American accents sound exactly that: false.

3) LEARN TO PLAY YOUR INSTRUMENTS. I couldn't really hear much of the "solos", but I could tell by just watching their fingers that they were pish solos.

4) Remind the drummer that growing your hair long and hitting the drums like a madman does NOT make you Dave Grohl. And it certainly doesn't make you cool.

5) Get some fucking charisma! Three "men" at the front, but no frontman.

Alternatively, just give up. Please.

Anyway.....

Dedalus: Fucking hell, if Born Solo were chalk, then these guys are cheese. And I'm talking the finest edam cheese in the whole of Holland. First song Burn started off with a bit of guitar, then drums, then excellent vocals, and then the bass. This song is immense. I was actually blown away... the wall of sound the two guitarists create is just so intense. And Stephen's vocals are astounding. To speak to him in One Up, you'd never guess he had such a brilliant set of lungs.

Anyway, then came the three EP songs, sounding even more intense live than they do on the EP. And they were performed perfectly. If you don't already have the Dedalus/Politik EP, then you must go out and get it. NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, last song was Burn again, although this time it ended with Dave Officer pulling some nice guitar shapes, Stephen taking a fit (not literally, that would be hideous) and a nice wee drum solo. These guys will SURELY be headlining Leeds this time next year, as long as they write some more tunes of this impeccable standard. That was the only downfall of the gig, the lack of songs. Maybe a couple of covers thrown in would have been nice. Or even playing the EP songs again. But that's just nitpicking.

Apologies if that all sounds a bit back-slappy, but I honestly couldn't fault this performance.[/quote']

So you have the Dedalus/Politik EP and missed Arctik yet you can run down the Born Solo set as much as this. Are you drunk again? :p

3) LEARN TO PLAY YOUR INSTRUMENTS. I couldn't really hear much of the "solos"' date=' but I could tell by just watching their fingers that they were pish solos.[/quote']

Don't really agree with that. They were clearly good musicians.

My only advice for Born Solo would be to either gag the drummer during gigs or get rid of him. Having a drummer that shouts abuse at the band and the crowd (what little there was) and orders the frontman around on stage during the set can never be helpful.

Dedalus were ace again. As for their lack of songs, they do have more but I guess they thought it would be fun to play both versions of burn last night.

So you have the Dedalus/Politik EP and missed Arctik yet you can run down the Born Solo set as much as this. Are you drunk again? :p

As a matter of fact' date=' I'd been downing pints of water all night only. So nyer nyer :p

Basically, Dedalus were awesome (and I mean that in the proper sense of the word, nae the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles sense), and I thought Born Solo were absolutely terrible. They reminded me of exactly why I used to regard local bands as shite. [i']BUT THIS IS ONLY AN OPINION!!!!!!!!!!

Don't really agree with that. They were clearly good musicians.

My only advice for Born Solo would be to either gag the drummer during gigs or get rid of him. Having a drummer that shouts abuse at the band and the crowd (what little there was) and orders the frontman around on stage during the set can never be helpful.

Dedalus were ace again. As for their lack of songs' date=' they do have more but I guess they thought it would be fun to play both versions of burn last night.[/quote']

Hmmm... I didn't see anything last night that would make me think they were good musicians... like I said (in too much detail), they absolutely butchered Man In A Box, and it's not even a particularly hard song. Especially when you just make up a shit solo like they did. And their own songs were the kind of basic stuff I used to bugger about with when I had just started out playing guitar.

The kind of stuff I would play once and think, "Oh my god, that's so shite..."

But if they were to read my criticsim, take it on the chin, and use it to improve, then fair play to them. This is surely the point of a feedback forum, no? I'm maybe being a little harsh, but I either like something or I hate it.

However, you're spot on about the drummer. He was an anus.

As for Dedalus, I thought it was a bit weird that they'd only have four songs. In that case, I cannae wait for the next gig to hear what else they've got.

My sister counted just 15 people at the gig... that was a disgrace. They deserve to be playing to much bigger crowds.

aye it was a good gig for us, we felt we played really well. we do have shitloads of songs. we just don't play them all. we used to chop and change songs all the time but then people can't really get a handle on them so once we did the ep we thought we should at least play those ones as people can really get to know them. we wanted to frame the set with the two versions of burn, thought it worked out pretty well. next aberdeen gig will be the 26th i think in drummonds as part of a charity gig that biz is organising.

thanks for saying nice things! it's always good to have our egos massaged from time to time. :)

Arctik

Well i will admit i only stayed for the first two bands of the night, i got bored to hell of the second one, born solo i think it was, the one with nirvana covers, anyway, listening to the first band arctik, it was nice to at leat here some fresh new sounds at kef, and i have to admit, i did kinda like them, one or two mistakes in the set, but not bad for there second time there, shame bout the small crowd, but none the less, i hope to see big things come of arctik - a miz of led zep meets radiohead, least in my opinion, genuinely good band. :band:

Well i will admit i only stayed for the first two bands of the night' date=' i got bored to hell of the second one, born solo i think it was, the one with nirvana covers, anyway, listening to the first band arctik, it was nice to at leat here some fresh new sounds at kef, and i have to admit, i did kinda like them, one or two mistakes in the set, but not bad for there second time there, shame bout the small crowd, but none the less, i hope to see big things come of arctik - a miz of led zep meets radiohead, least in my opinion, genuinely good band. :band:[/quote']

Arctik really, really bored the pants off me. I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen a band with that little stage presence. But that's something that comes with time I suppose. I really didn't enjoy them though. They did have some good ideas in places but it couldn't really save them.

Not everyones taste i can admit that, but you have to give them credit, in a venue over populated by shit rock, and nothing else but ska to boot, they presented a fresh new sound, i remember seeing them at drummonds battle of the bands, and again at kef, and must admit they are growing on me, give them time, they are far more skilled with the intruments than alot of these amateurs.

nahh, theyve played at least 2 others, once at kef before, and one at drummonds, only saw them at the drummonds one, and this saturday, im calling there gig at kef an off day just starting out, as the one at drummonds was fun as hell there sound utterly blew me away, energetic and new thats what i say, doubt anyone else has seen them ey? seems its like im the only one :help: