aberdeen-music

What are you working on?

paime

You'd hardly need to work on the Cohen version though would you? Unless you were really bad at playing the bass.....

Jeff version is a better arrangement...John Cale's is the best cover though. Cohen and Buckley sing it a bit too laid back and dispassionate for me.

Hallelujah took me bloody ages to learn properly. It totally helped me with fingerpicking technique though, and it's a good one to bust out if your trying to impress lassies with your mad guitar skillz! If only I could sing.

The last while I've just been sifting through Spotify looking for decent tunes then sitting down and trying to work them out. You can never have good enough lugs!

• Upvote 1

Various pieces by my favourites Shawn Lane and Guthrie Govan, which is pretty much what I'm always working on (I think that was my reply in the last couple of incarnations of this thread), partly because of my inconsistency and partly because they're impossible. I can just about play a few of them these days.

I'm continually trying to "get back into" playing guitar a few hours days... usually I find I don't have the time; currently I have the time but also an attention span problem. All my music, backing tracks, notation etc. is on the computer (no CD player or printer) and should I turn it on I find myself on Facebook, Wikipedia, watching The Wire etc. Otherwise I just have a practice amp and some old tabs. I think I need to go back to a CD player and music books/magazines.

That said, I'm practising scale shapes for the first time in probably years. Melodic minor modes, half-whole and whole-half, stuff like that, which I've dabbled in for quite some time; just want to be more fluent with them. I've also picked up a couple of John5 tracks I used to play which are pretty fun. And I guess most importantly, I've been intermittently writing and recording some of my own music, again for the first time in years.

Still loads of other stuff I want to do, loads of rock pieces/players, getting into learning jazz standards and soloing, ear training as Runcie mentioned (my lugs are still not very good), learning acoustic styles (still to complete that rather important first step of buying my first acoustic guitar :D)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

New songs for my band Pensioner. We've got half a new album written so far.

When I'm not doing that, I'm writing a bunch of miserable, downtrodden fingerpicked stuff in a similar vein to Sun Kil Moon et al. I'm hopefully going to coerce a certain local guitarist into giving me a hand doing it all live.

• 1 month later...