aberdeen-music

What are you working on?

paime

Thought it might be good to start a thread to discuss which piece of music you're trying to master at the moment - sometimes you can get some inspiration from hearing what others are trying to achieve. I'm running through some Pink Floyd stuff just now but mostly failing miserably. If only I had more time....and ability...

What about yous lot?

• Upvote 2

Good idea for a thread.

I've been trying to learn Hinba by Lau on the piano. Got the first part sussed so far. Still on the piano I've been working on an instrumental piece which I might try and build into something worth recording. Very basic but it's really just an excuse to keep practice the keys. Also working on a couple of folk songs. Erin-go-bragh and Snows they melt the soonest. Just trying to find chord progressions I like and feel comfortable with my voice.

Just finished some lyrics as well for a new Causey Mounth tune so I'm trying to get that matched up with some chords too.

What Floyd material you tackling?

I've been on a bit of a Robin Guthrie learning spree as of late. He's got some very lush songs. Simple structures and steady beats. Fairly easy to work out the chords and just play along with the recordings. Awesome fun.

Writing wise I'm currently working on a few bits and bobs for me and Milners band. We've got a couple of songs pretty much finished but in need of some polishing so just working on them.

I just seem to keep writing ambient instrumental songs when I'm at home however. Probably because I've been listening to a lot of Guthrie's music whilst learning it. I might work on getting a few of them recorded and post them up somewhere.

funnily enough I have recently got the urge to write and make some music again for the first time in ages, working title 'Hate Songs' have been penning plenty of lyrics just need to get on the desktop and start compiling some music!

Recently bought the Arturia V Collection (classic analog soft synths) and have been trying to create something retro with a late '70s early '80s vibe. It's a hoot but I keep scrapping things and starting over. Also been pissing around with Native Instruments' FM8 (Dx-7 type synth). Some nice cheesy '80s sounds in this which give plenty of inspiration.

What Floyd material you tackling?

Nothing in particular, I've just been trying to pick up certain licks and phrases as I go along. I'm trying to write my own stuff just now and I like the melodic aspects and little phrases that Floyd insert into the background. I've also been tackling my own mash ups but that's taking longer than normal for some reason. A lack of inspiration is probably the culprit.

Good idea for a thread.

I've been trying to learn Hinba by Lau on the piano. Got the first part sussed so far. Still on the piano I've been working on an instrumental piece which I might try and build into something worth recording. Very basic but it's really just an excuse to keep practice the keys. Also working on a couple of folk songs. Erin-go-bragh and Snows they melt the soonest. Just trying to find chord progressions I like and feel comfortable with my voice.

Just finished some lyrics as well for a new Causey Mounth tune so I'm trying to get that matched up with some chords too.

The piano is definitely an instrument I want to master. Again, I'm short on free time just now due to work but I think I'll get some introductory lessons and see how it goes.

I had been trying to pick up some Vic Wooten material, mainly trying to get some of his techniques down then worrying about actual riffs and songs as a secondary objective. Then I got lazy and stopped being arsed.

Also trying to learn some theory and ideally learn to sight-read. Just because.

xx

• Upvote 1

I had been trying to pick up some Vic Wooten material, mainly trying to get some of his techniques down then worrying about actual riffs and songs as a secondary objective. Then I got lazy and stopped being arsed.

Good call. Wrong reasons, but good call nonetheless. I wouldn't bother with it because I find all this "celebrity bassist" stuff leaves me cold because I find it so perpendicular to the whole point of playing bass in an ensemble, group, beat combo of whatever kind. For me, that point is being the glue that sticks the drummer/percussionist onto the rest of the band in a cohesive and melodically aware fashion. Bass is not about "hey, look at me!" but more "you'll notice me when I'm gone".

Also trying to learn some theory and ideally learn to sight-read. Just because.

Good call. All sorts of possibilities become available (and obvious) - a little knowledge goes a long way.

Me? We've just finished recording some stuff. Got some good ol' stuff to cover in my lessons (bit of James Brown, Aretha etc.). Got a couple of weeks downtime bandwise (holidays etc.) but got a couple of gigs at the end of the month.

• Upvote 2

Good call. Wrong reasons, but good call nonetheless. I wouldn't bother with it because I find all this "celebrity bassist" stuff leaves me cold because I find it so perpendicular to the whole point of playing bass in an ensemble, group, beat combo of whatever kind. For me, that point is being the glue that sticks the drummer/percussionist onto the rest of the band in a cohesive and melodically aware fashion. Bass is not about "hey, look at me!" but more "you'll notice me when I'm gone".

I do absolutely agree with that, I just like the double-thumb technique to add more dynamics to faster passages. I like being able to play with different techniques and styles, even if I rarely use them in any 'band' situation.

I had found myself stagnating and not pushing myself to get any better, so I decided to dive into some shit I could barely handle listening to, much less playing, and move from there.

I'm picking up some John-Paul Jones, Entwhistle and Duck Dunn stuff, too. Entwhistle had some MAD skills but he couldn't half wank on aimlessly when he wanted to. Won't Get Fooled has one of the best and worst basslines I've ever heard!

xx

I've been working on some pop songs for the past few weeks, trying to take inspiration from Lydia and write songs with only 3/4 chords. My trouble is only being able to play very basic guitar, and not having access to a piano right now. You get pretty limited with bar chords as your main structure. Plus the strings on my accoustic couldnt be in any worse condition. Saying that, there is a special sound you get from an out of tune rusty stringed guitar, i like to think of myself as the next jack white, i like guitars i have to fight to make sound good..........yeah rock & roll...

The big plus for me was getting an Iphone and garage band, its soo easy just to put down a quick demo and hear what it sounds like rather than write a full song and realise it sounds rubbish.