aberdeen-music

Hardcore/Metal(ish) band wanted

Jaaakkkeee

I want to be in a rap metal band. I'll take whatever role's available. I'll be the guy who shouts the last word of every second line if that's the only spot left. I think our best plan is to take songs that are already well known, take out the original vocals and rap over the top. That takes a lot of the effort out of songwriting so we can focus on getting into scraps with rival crews.

yea they're local but I'd describe them as more kidcore hahahaha

as for Dweller - trying to fix them under one genre would be like trying to turn Dale Winton straight. Impossible.

post-hardcore, and nothing more and nothing less.

good band though, better than the usual 'hardcore 2-step' pish all the ex emo kids are catching onto.

• Upvote 2

They are definitely not pop-punk. Genres evolve but when such a marked contrast starts to appear, genres branch off. That's how punk became pop-punk, skate-punk, thrash-punk and horror-punk.

ADTR etc are a new sub-genre. Way closer to comparison to Black Flag than Blink 182.

xx

you did NOT just compare ADTR to Black Flag....seriously...?

They are closer to Black Flag, in that they have more than 3 members, and that they all have arms and legs. Shit, no, wait. Blink 182 I believe have arms and legs too.

We might be back to square one.

Seriously though. All 3 bands are different, but A Day To Remember have loads of bits that are super polished Californian sounding pop punk. They don't have any bits where they yell BLACK COFFEEEEEEE! and start punching audience members in the face.

• Upvote 1

They are closer to Black Flag than they are Blink 182 tho. I dont think he was saying they are a copy of each other.

why? because they are "angrier"?

what a load of shite. That band are NOTHING like Black Flag.

New Found Glory are ultimately responsible for the crossing over of hardcore into pop punk.

ADTR are definitely more comparable to a band like new found glory than they are to black flag.

what the fuck are you people even thinking....jesus.

• Upvote 2

No no, ADTR are nothing like Black Flag, but they are also nothing like Blink 182. They don't fall under the same genre as either band but they would be closer to being hardcore influenced than pop-punk influenced.

I wouldn't call them a hardcore band but I wouldn't call them pop punk either. I'd make up a weird half-way thing like popcore. That's what they are. Popcore.

xx

No no, ADTR are nothing like Black Flag, but they are also nothing like Blink 182. They don't fall under the same genre as either band but they would be closer to being hardcore influenced than pop-punk influenced.

I wouldn't call them a hardcore band but I wouldn't call them pop punk either. I'd make up a weird half-way thing like popcore. That's what they are. Popcore.

xx

Easycore seems to be the name being tossed around for this kind of stuff. I don't know why. I don't like any of it. It all sounds way too slick. The guitars and drums sound computer generated. Get rid.

• Upvote 1

xx

The best thing to do is not try and compare ADTR to Black Flag OR Blink 182. Or any other band that they sound nothing like. Cos it's pointless.

It's like me saying "Man is The Bastard are definitely more like Slayer than Metallica". It's utterly fucking futile and tells them nothing about Man Is The Bastard.

Easycore seems to be the name being tossed around for this kind of stuff. I don't know why. I don't like any of it. It all sounds way too slick. The guitars and drums sound computer generated. Get rid.

Stupid name. [blank]core needs to be a 2 syllable word. Mathcore, deathcore, grindcore.

Regardless of what you call it though, if there was a scale from hardcore to pop punk, with blink and black flag at opposite ends, ADTR would be closer to the hardcore end that pop punk.

I don't understand why everyone lost their shit over that. How fucking dare anyone compare another band to the holy grail that are Black Flag?! BF were awesome and so other bands have taken influence from them and copied their style. ADTR have taken what BF did and watered it down a fuckload, removed the testicles and everything that made BF great and ended up with a teenage-girl-friendly version of hardcore. Easycore or popcore.

xx

The best thing to do is not try and compare ADTR to Black Flag OR Blink 182. Or any other band that they sound nothing like. Cos it's pointless.

It's like me saying "Man is The Bastard are definitely more like Slayer than Metallica". It's utterly fucking futile and tells them nothing about Man Is The Bastard.

Absolutely right. It was a daft comparison to make, all I was pointing out is that ADTR don't belong in the same category as Blink et al.

xx