aberdeen-music

Beach Holidays

Sam 45

Sunny Beach, Bulgaria. Cheapest place I've ever been, great beach, lovely scenery, a nice, if tacky resort suitable for all ages, good nightlife. I'd go back.

Or

Fuengirola, Spain. Lovely wee town. Great beach. Lots of stuff to do, and a stone's throw away from Malaga if you want a day in the city.

The Croatian Islands are beautiful. There are lots of them, each with their own charms. The Adriatic coastline is hoaching with little cunty sea urchins though. While not the cheapest place in Eastern Europe, it is a load cheaper than more popular destinations, like Spain, South of France, Greece, etc. I went to Hvar (party ialsnd) and Brac (family holiday, peaceful island).

Wife and I went to Marmaris last year. Wanted a cheap and cheerful, all-inclusive holiday to sit in the sunshine on the beach or by a pool and read. I'll find the name of the place we stayed but we both went for a week and were somewhere around £500-£700 all in. Flights, hotel, transfers et al.

xx

Wife and I went to Marmaris last year. Wanted a cheap and cheerful, all-inclusive holiday to sit in the sunshine on the beach or by a pool and read. I'll find the name of the place we stayed but we both went for a week and were somewhere around £500-£700 all in. Flights, hotel, transfers et al.

xx

Isn't the Marmaris a kebab shop on Rose Street? You took your wife on holiday to a kebab shop? The title of Top Lad goes to you, good sir!

• Upvote 1

Me and the bird go to the Algarve every year, sometimes twice. Lovely beaches, nice folks, good food and pretty cheap (if you stay away from the overtly touristy areas).

She always books our accommodation, flights and any transfers from www.alpharooms.com and gets great deals (if how much she says it costs is to be believed). We recently had 10 days in a 4 star apartment with flights from Glasgow and transfers for £540 in total.

Just back from a couple of weeks in Cyprus.

Easy place to drive around (nothing is more than 2 hours away). Ayia Napa if you want a party town for a few nights along with loads of quiet places and some great touristy stuff to do too.

Accommodation / food and beer are all pretty cheap. A winner.

I went to Crete when I was a kid. It was pretty lively, nice beaches, plenty to do in the tourist resorts, and the food was banging. Lots to choose from, as well as proper authentic kebabs. My parents hired a car and we drove to every place that had a name on a map on the island. There's lots of tiny villages in the middle of the island, but they don't even have names, or electricity. It's a bit quieter in the south, but still very nice.

I just got back from Tunisia. I had a good time, but I wouldn't go back. Great weather, stunning beaches, but the food was inedible, and there's lots of very pushy, borderline aggressive people trying to sell you junk.

I just got back from Tunisia. I had a good time, but I wouldn't go back. Great weather, stunning beaches, but the food was inedible, and there's lots of very pushy, borderline aggressive people trying to sell you junk.

Damn straight, that place is a nightmare! I'm sure I've shared my thoughts on it on here before!

We ate out away from the restaurant one night and it was a little better, but the food our restaurant cooked up was just horrific. I'm not a fussy eater. I'll eat most things, but it was grim.

The street sellers though, they are just mental. We had one who stepped out of the shadows with a mo'fuckin FALCON on his shoulder. And he goes "here you go!" and plants it on my missus' arm. So obviously I have to take a picture of her holding a Falcon. So I did. Then he puts it on me. I didn't want it, but fine. I get a snap of me looking terrified of a probably incredibly diseased Falcon. I didn't wanna give him anything because, y'know, we took the pictures with our own camera, but the missus goes to give him £4 or something, and he goes "No. You give me £10. and then you give me £10 for my bird". He totally wasn't letting us leave. I was slightly close to punching him and his Falcon, but I didn't want to get sent to a Tunisian prison. He eventually settled for £4 after I showed him my massive biceps, or something.

I hate those pushy street sellers. It's a worldwide epidemic although the UK seems to be exempt. There are some nifty tricks involved - that falcon one is a beaut. They all seem to revolve around somehow obligating you into buying something by making you stop moving. I've seen one where the guy literally lassos your finger with some thread and starts making a friendship bracelet. You can't move untill he's done then he gets you to buy it. Another one in Times Square is young guys who just hand you a CD saying something like ' hey have a cd, i'm a rapper just trying to get myself out there'. You think 'cool, free CD' then he lets you walk a few steps then says something about your clothes/tattoos/whatever you have he can comment on just to make you stop in your tracks a bit then lunges in for a handshake and next thing you know you're intimidated out of $10.

They do shit like that in Bulgaria. They come up with a basket full of grapes and they're like "here, try some free grapes!" and hand you a few off the bunch, then once you eat them they say you owe them fuckloads of money for them. If you say no you quickly find yourself surrounded by tons of the cunts. They are also a front for pick pockets. When you take your money out of your pocket to pay them, an accomplice is watching to see what pocket you've got your money in. It's a tightly organised racket.

I hate those pushy street sellers. It's a worldwide epidemic although the UK seems to be exempt. There are some nifty tricks involved - that falcon one is a beaut. They all seem to revolve around somehow obligating you into buying something by making you stop moving. I've seen one where the guy literally lassos your finger with some thread and starts making a friendship bracelet. You can't move untill he's done then he gets you to buy it. Another one in Times Square is young guys who just hand you a CD saying something like ' hey have a cd, i'm a rapper just trying to get myself out there'. You think 'cool, free CD' then he lets you walk a few steps then says something about your clothes/tattoos/whatever you have he can comment on just to make you stop in your tracks a bit then lunges in for a handshake and next thing you know you're intimidated out of $10.

They did that to me! He got nout was very weird though he was like I'll sign it and you can give me money or something.

The trick is definitely thrusting the goods into your possession before selling you it. In Tunisia, you'd be eating some of the godawful food, and some kid would run up to you and put some flower necklace over your head and demand money. If you try and take it off he'd try and stop you. Same with some guy selling cowboy hats that said Tunisia on them. He would just plant it on my head and then say "Good price! good price!"

I grew up around that shit in the souks in Abu Dhabi. One guy slammed a "Rolex" on my wrist and said "good price! Good price!" I simply walked away and said "Thanks man" without taking it off. He just looked at me, baffled...and unable to leave all his stuff amongst all the other folk who's wrists he'd slammed watches on. Free Rolex. Yaldie.

• Upvote 7