aberdeen-music

Mike Kidd formerly of ProSound

Lightfoot

I was very upset yesterday to learn than an old school pal of mine, Mike Kidd – formerly of ProSound - passed away a number of years ago.

I was researching old school pals online yesterday (via Friends Reunited, FaceBook etc.) and learned that Mike passed away in Feb 2007.

Mike and I were lived a couple of streets apart in Middlefield, and were best buddies at Smithfield primary school and Hilton Academy in the early 1980s. But after I moved from Aberdeen in 1993, I lost touch with my old school pals.

I've been unable to find out exactly what happened to Mike. I know he worked in Bruce Millar’s for a while then had his own drum store on Hutcheon Street for a few years, before setting up ProSound.

Mike was a great guy, a totally unique character and very much his own man. For someone like Mike – who was such a “life-is-for-living” character - to die at 38 is just a shocker.

Does anyone have any info about Mike and what happened?

Any help or info gratefully (and respectfully) received.

Cheers.

L.

Mike was a brilliant guy, i bought all my stuff from him in Prosound, but he had his demons with alcohol, i think that was what got him in the end. A sorely missed guy from myself, Aberdeen has no great drum place anymore, R&B doesnt really do it for me but Prosound was brilliant, plus Mike let you test cymbals on his kit downstairs, no where else offered that kinda service here, i could take my own cymbals in and make sure what i was buying suited what i already had.

A great guy, but not without his problems.

Mike was a brilliant guy, i bought all my stuff from him in Prosound, but he had his demons with alcohol, i think that was what got him in the end. A sorely missed guy from myself, Aberdeen has no great drum place anymore, R&B doesnt really do it for me but Prosound was brilliant, plus Mike let you test cymbals on his kit downstairs, no where else offered that kinda service here, i could take my own cymbals in and make sure what i was buying suited what i already had.

A great guy, but not without his problems.

Aye, as far as i know it was years of binge drinking that caused his untimely death. When he wasn't hyped up and agitated (largely through the drink) Mike was a nice guy. Like a lot of people on here i was shocked to an extent but not suprised.

Oh balls, that's really sad to hear. Mike was always a really 'full-on' kinda guy. Nothing in half measures. He was like this when we were at school, too. Totally immerseed himself in stuff. Sounds like he totally immersed himself in drink too.

Mike - at his best - was the life-and-soul of any party. He had a HUGE personality, absolutely larger than life.

Still can't believe it was drink that got him at only 38 FFS! It's very very sad.

Just come across this post and saddened to hear about Mike's demise.

Quite some years ago he stood in for my band Souled Asylum at AECC. Despite no rehearsal, all I had to do was show him the set list, remind him what came next and give him the odd tab nod and he never missed a beat. Very acomplished and solid drummer. No fuss, just sat in the mix and drove it. Downside was he ripped into the rider and by end of the night he could'nt stand up. We packed his kit away for him, drove him home in the truck and delivered him home. Upside, I have it all on VHS tape even ripping into the rider before taking stage. RIP Mike and thanks for the memories...........