aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
paime

Americanland

Wasn't the teacher i had in mind at all. I was thinking more along the lines of incentives to work and achieve, even if not to carry on to uni, but to achieve more in school. I don't have any answers on how, but having all been to school i'm sure we'd all agree that there aren't any already unless you know what you want to do when you're quite young and know you want to go to uni or even what you want to do at uni/career.

Like you said about the smackhead mum thing, my idea is that we should be finding ways to negate them away from that lifestyle as much as possible, if they can give them motivation to continue studying and moving away from the same lifestyle of their parents. Right now education seems to just say DRUGS ARE BAD UNI IS GOOD and don't really offer any substance in education.

I think i agree with both stroopy and Old Gold in some respects. Old Gold is right we don't have any absolute poverty, there are very few beggars on the street. However as right as you are that people who shouldn't be on the system losing their benefits would probably find alternative ways to get money without working, i think if we found a way to remove the people currently in that area of society and find methods to look after them, but the keep people who are currently making their way into that circle we could address the problem for future generations rather than do nothing at all.

That's all well and good but that requires a bigger budget. It's always going to be the way that some people have no idea what they want to do when leaving school. I didn't. There aren't really any incentives you just hope to god you can find a job that lets you pay for your extortionate rent, put food on the table and maybe a pint on the weekend.

Right now education seems to just say DRUGS ARE BAD UNI IS GOOD and don't really offer any substance in education.

By substance, do you mean 'Doing this will make you xxxx cash money'?

I don't really know what you mean by that. But my point is that schools put too much emphasis on University and nothing else. So many people are alienated as they don't know if they want to go or what they want to do. There needs to be more signs of reward in the education substance instead of just forcing children through like cattle.

That's Banchory Academy for you. I'm pretty sure most state schools are not like that.

And again, that attitude is perpetuated throughout Banchory by people's parents and what they expect from the school. Overall, the level of education at Banchory was excellent though.

I don't really know what you mean by that. But my point is that schools put too much emphasis on University and nothing else. So many people are alienated as they don't know if they want to go or what they want to do. There needs to be more signs of reward in the education substance instead of just forcing children through like cattle.

I doubt that this lack of direction is really an issue for people who barely get to the front door by 2nd year of High School. I hardly think it's realistic to expect the schools to formulate a way to go all Dead Poets Society on them and turn their lives around. They don't give a fuck, and they won't until it's too late.

I did think it might be that. But looking at the amount of apathy vs success from other schools i get the impression it wasn't just our school that had that problem. I've done well with my school grades but i didn't realise that until i left Banchory. In Banchory your success is not your own because it's expected of you and then the minute you go somewhere else your seen as a posh twat.

What's wrong with having an expectation of success? If people expect success then does it not encourage those who are ambitious to push themselves to do even better?

Also, a 'posh twat'? Really? For doing well at school? This should not be a reason to lower a standard of education at a decent school.

Unless you promise that they can become a power ranger or a disney princess if they learn their times table, you'll probably find that they won't respond very well 'from the start'.

In Banchory your success is not your own because it's expected of you
What's wrong with having an expectation of success? If people expect success then does it not encourage those who are ambitious to push themselves to do even better?
Not my point at all.

What's your point? This whole discussion is becoming very confusing and frustrating due to everyone's arguments being mysteriously misconstrued.

I may have missed your point, but...

All I am saying is I would rather it be the 'norm' to have schools that have an expectation of students getting five "A"s at Higher level than for the expectation to be lower and five "A"s being an extra special achievement. I'm not saying it's NOT an achievement, because it clearly is, but why set standards low? As the great Facebook saying goes, "shoot for the moon, at least if you miss you'll land amongst the stars bbz".

• Upvote 1

I totally agree, it was just something i noticed where i came from. My point is purely what i said, just an observation i was mentioning as Moose was from Banchory Academy to.

I felt left out...

xx