aberdeen-music

Ableton live 7.0.14 closing with no warning?

Hi there, hoping someone can help me fix this, or at least figure it out!

I'm running an older version of ableton live, 7.0.14, on a power PC mac, G4

I've checked the minimum spec, and I should be fine...

But it keeps closing every 2 or 3 minutes, no error message, most of the time it doesn't even freeze, just closes.

Anyone got any idea why this might be? or had any similar experiences?

Yeah if it's a dodgy copy Ableton'll can ping the server every now and then and close when it realises it's not legit (same with cracked Adobe stuff). If you look in console (in your utilities folder) you might be able find out a bit more about when and why it's happening.

I'd love to buy a copy. But thanks to progress, they no longer sell ableton 7, which was the last version compatible with power PC computers.

tried not being connected to the net, and it closed anyways

console came up with this -

"Mac OS X Version 10.4.11 (Build 8S165)

2012-06-11 13:04:02 +0100

2012-06-11 13:04:12.683 SystemUIServer[190] lang is:en

2012-06-11 13:33:11.935 Live[204] CFLog (21): GetDiskFragment returns -2806 for <AppleVerizonSupport> when trying to load /Library/Application Support/AppleVerizonSupport.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleVerizonSupport

2012-06-11 13:33:11.999 Live[204] CFLog (21): GetDiskFragment returns -2806 for <AppleVerizonSupportKicker> when trying to load /Library/Application Support/AppleVerizonSupportKicker.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleVerizonSupportKicker

Live(204,0x33b9e00) malloc: *** error for object 0x355de00: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed, break at szone_error to debug

Live(204,0x33b9e00) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug

Live(204,0x33b9e00) malloc: *** error for object 0x3594c00: incorrect checksum for freed object - object was probably modified after being freed, break at szone_error to debug

Live(204,0x33b9e00) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug

Jun 11 13:35:48 reboot-reboots-power-mac-g4 mDNSResponder: NOTE: Wide-Area Service Discovery disabled to avoid crashing defective DNS relay 192.168.0.1."

needless to say, im baffled.

Yeah to the best of my knowledge, nothing from that console log talks about getting a server response to close. Did it close bang on 13:04?

I'd try binning theAppleVerizonSupportKicker.kext to see if that helps. Failing that I'd try booting to safe mode (holding down on startup) to see if that'll stop it closing be itself. If it works in safe mode then a backup and selective reinstall will hopefully sort it out. If not then it's Ableton being a prick.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...