aberdeen-music

What's the best practice amp to buy?

paime

I actually quite like the sound of the THR10 and its extra features as it has a flat voiced channel for drum machines and other stuff, and a channel for bass, where, from video reviews, the bass response is incredible for an amp of that size. It would completely replace the two big horrible practice combos I use for guitar and bass at home with a tidy little package.

I also like how it essentially doubles up as a portable sound monitor for PC's, ipods etc. The reviews seem to suggest the stereo output is quite deeper on the THR10 when using the auxiliary input for such things, so it might well be worth the extra £90 for what I'd use it for, especially for bass though, so I can bin my horrid space-wasting combos.

It also looks so badass. Like an old-time radio that glows.

I'm due a tax rebate within the next few weeks, so I may have just spent a chunk of it already. GEAR!

I think low wattage valve amps can be a good solution. Some of them are big enough to be used with a band just with the stock speaker (providing the drummer isn't ultimately the loudest) and that size of amp is often considered preferable in styles outside of proper rock. Others will be loud enough for a band if you replace the speaker or use an external cab . There are also some which are tiny and you can take on public transport relatively easily.

I've been using a Fender Super Champ XD for the last few years. It has 2 channels (one is a valve clean channel, the other modelling overdrives, which is also quite good although I typically use pedals into the clean channel). I replaced the 10" stock speaker (which wasn't half bad) with a Eminence Rajun Cajin and there was a huge improvement.

I never thought Blues Junior was all that cheap, although it is a good amp.

Modelling and more complex options I have tended to find are a bit counter-intuitive for practice. I prefer having everything in front of me and definable by a control. There is typically a 'learning curve' associated with digital modelling options, even at the high end. If you are likely to have a lot of time to practice and get used to all this, then it might not be a real disadvantage but I would suggest it usually is a disadvantage for most players.

Modelling software is pretty advanced now. There are heaps of good free VST's. You just need to have a DAW to use them with (reaper, cubase, cakewalk etc). Reaper and the free VST's are a great low cost practice rig so I would recommend giving that a go as you get a free trial. Even to buy it's only about the £40 mark. It's what I use for experimenting. You will need a suitable interface though but the basic ones are pretty cheap. The Line 6 GX is about £80 but there are plenty cheaper than that, couldn't advise you on one though. The TASCAM ones can be picked up used for quite a low price though. Or for an all in one solution try something like amplitube. This one in particular may interest you -> http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/fender/index.php?pp=at-fender-specs The pod HD pro is incredibly popular as it can be used easily to use as a recording tool as well as for practicing and has lots of models built in but the options get very complex if you dig deeper. http://line6.com/podhd/multi-effects/specs.html It can be used straight with a power amp or straight to a PA for shows too if you do want to be in a band again too.

They won't give you the tone of a valve amp but nothing replaces that. The cost and ease of a computer practice and recording rig is obviously the great benefit.

Here's a free VST vid from youtube. All at noon sittings and most of them are lead channels and based on higher gain amps but this is just an example of what you can get.

My criticism of modelling software is that it is 'pretty advanced' and often not in the most useful way. It tries to copy the controls from real amps and it is often a bit difficult to manipulate them easily with a mouse. You also have to wait for your computer to start up and load software, hoping it doesn't crash. I can see the point if your practice is done around your computer, as in a home studio type environment, but even then I reckon most people would benefit from also having a practice amp for times when you don't want facebook distracting you from playing the guitar.

• Upvote 1

Podfarm and a Toneport GX, £70 odd quid, light and computer based. Standard comes with about 15 amps, 20 odd cabs, pedals, multibands, mic placements and has a tuner built in. Great for studio/home use.

Amp sims are great if you know how to channel a good tone out of em, just don't expect a mesa tone from a mesa amp sim or an 'orange' tone from the orange 'citrus' models.

Also, props to the dude who posted poulin stuff, great vst if you have a daw.

What gadget do you need to make that work? Can you link me up?

Go on Ebay and find yourself an I-rig. You get them for about a tenner, that lets you plug a jack lead into your Iphone, we then use Garageband, or Amplify i think its called, and then use the headphone out on the I-rig to plug it through the Aux in the stereo or headphones. The quality is actually very good considering. We are doing home demo's with the same set up right now, even able to track everything, the electric drums have a mono line out so its made life very easy, just track each part down on the iphone using the rig and headphones and the click track Garageband puts on automatically.

I bought one of these.

Does the trick!

xx

EDIT: Only I paid £10, the one I linked appears to have the price listed wrong!

Excellent. I'll get one of these.

I'm a complete novice at this sort of stuff. I record all my guitar stuff by putting a cheap mic infront of the amp, straight into the mic input and recorded onto a very basic multi track software.

What other software do I need to make sweet guitar tones through my PC, and are they free?

I use reaper and scoured google for well-spoken-of VSTs. You download and install VST software and it works in the same way as adding compression or reverb would to the track, only it can be an amp or a pedal emulator. The good thing about it for recording is you can record the guitar 100% dry and play around with fx and VSTs afterwards.

xx

Mega. The DAW I use, Mixcraft 5, seems to allow 3rd party VST's, so that's all good for recording stuff. I'll buy one of those USB inputs and give it a go.

If I wanted to just use my laptop as a practice amp, with guitar going in via USB and using headphones as a monitor for the sound, is there any programmes I can use just for that, with different distortion and FX models and whatnot?

Awesome. Downloaded Amplitube. Hendrix and Fender etc packs didn't as standard with the free one, but I acquired them anyway, totes legit of course... Along with a bunch of other stuff for it. Looks pretty good. I just need to wait for the USB guitar input to arrive so I can actually use it. If it does the job, I probably won't bother forking out for a good home amp.

Found this the other day which may interest some of you. It is totally free legally. Not the stuff I would normally use but should appeal to you guys a bit more! Fender Twin's get a lot of love on this site

http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

What is SimulAnalog Guitar suite?

It is a suite of vst plugin with amplifiers and analog processors for guitarists, actually containing the simulation* of:

- Boss DS-1 (Distortion stompbox)

- Boss SD-1 (Super Overdrive stompbox)

- Tube Screamer (Overdrive stompbox)

- Oberheim PS-1 (Phaser stompbox)

- Univox Univibe (Modulations stompbox)

- Fender Twin 1969 (Guitar amplifier)

- Marshall JCM900 Dual Reverb (Guitar amplifier)

Re. amp software, as SodaJerk's discovered there's now a fully functional version of Amplitube for free. It comes with Fender and JcM800 models and you can buy others from all the various versions piecemeal. I've got about half a dozen models, which does me; paid about 75 euros. It also has a standalone mode so you don't necessarily need a DAW.

As for other free stuff, I've tried http://www.acmebargig.com/ The free version is usable though not as good as amplitube and the full version's something like $25...

Found this the other day which may interest some of you. It is totally free legally. Not the stuff I would normally use but should appeal to you guys a bit more! Fender Twin's get a lot of love on this site

http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

I picked this up a while back, really good set of kit. Scouring the fucking net trying to find the same kind of package for Bass but no luck :(

xx