aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Wonder if Van Persie is regretting his statement? He's only got a couple of clubs interested in him and Arsenal are demanding big monies so it's realistically Citeh where he could go and he would be part of a rotation there (not his favourite thing).

Giroud, Podolski, Cazorla (if it happens) and rumours of Sahin on a years loan. All without breaking the bank, surely that is ambition?

Do you think Wenger is signing all these players to try and keep Van Persie, or to fill the void he we will create if he leaves? He's really signed some top players.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if he's just resigned himself to the fact that RVP's on the way out.

It'd be difficult for him and the fans to mend that relationship. Rooney was worshipped at United, but since what he did with his contract U-turn, he's not got the whole of United's fanbase eating out of his hand anymore. There's still alot of fans who want him gone, despite him being the standout performer every season, just out of principle, claiming the club lacked ambition, but immediately signed a new deal when he was offered near to £1million per month. I imagine RVP would be the same, with the offers hes probably getting from City. I imagine even United will be able to pay him more than Arsenal, so it will take a big deal to keep him, and that creates a bit of a rift amongst fans and team mates. If he becomes the top earner, then he is under great pressure to continue to match the high standards he has set in only one season. It's a dangerous game. I think they should just let him go now, and continue to build without him. Podolski and Giroud are good replacements, both with more time on their side.

• Upvote 2

The whole thing just backed up what i already thought, great player on his day, but so far he has only had one great season for Arsenal, i think the lack of offers coming in for him show that. No one is going to want to give an injury prone 29 year old a £150k a week 4 year contract like he seems to want. I think Arsenal would be better off getting rid of him and having players there who want to play for the club.

• Upvote 1

I think they'd take him back. It's football, kiss the badge after scoring a bunch of goals early in the season and all will be forgotten. Arsenal wont increase their deal though it's 130k + a 5 million sign on bonus. Take it or leave it.

No I think Wenger always had these players in mind and he is getting them at prices that mean Arsenal haven't even spent more than their half year profits they reported (£47.9 million). Plus with the potential incomings for Arshavin (8 mill maybe), Vela gone for 3 mill, Bendtner likely to go for another 3/4. Plus clearing the wages of Almunia/Squillaci, Park and maybe Chamakh and those already mentioned.

Arsenal look like they have stuck by their FFP philosophy whilst seriously strengthening the team, I think if they can seal the Sahin year long loan, that in my opinion is a fantastic summer and shows some great ambition. Still worried there is no new keeper ( a solid vet to push Schezny on) but that's about it. The glass men Diaby and Wilshere should be back soonish too, Diaby was the best player on the Asia tour which was promising.

The whole thing just backed up what i already thought, great player on his day, but so far he has only had one great season for Arsenal, i think the lack of offers coming in for him show that. No one is going to want to give an injury prone 29 year old a £150k a week 4 year contract like he seems to want. I think Arsenal would be better off getting rid of him and having players there who want to play for the club.

I agree. Chances are, he's not going to replicate last season, but with all the money that will go into funding the deal, the club and the fans will expect RvP to score 35 goals every season and I really don't think that will happen again. He will score goals, and he'll do a good job wherever he goes, but I can't see him having a season like last season.

Juventus seem to have more money than sense this summer, and are having a cheeky bid on just about anyone. Let him go there. They'll throw money at him, and he'll probably have 2 or 3 decent years before possibly being phased out into a bit-part player. Or he'll go to the MLS and play alongside 39 year old David Beckham, who at that point, will still be the best footballer on the planet, as well as the King of England.

I agree. Chances are, he's not going to replicate last season, but with all the money that will go into funding the deal, the club and the fans will expect RvP to score 35 goals every season and I really don't think that will happen again. He will score goals, and he'll do a good job wherever he goes, but I can't see him having a season like last season.

Juventus seem to have more money than sense this summer, and are having a cheeky bid on just about anyone. Let him go there. They'll throw money at him, and he'll probably have 2 or 3 decent years before possibly being phased out into a bit-part player. Or he'll go to the MLS and play alongside 39 year old David Beckham, who at that point, will still be the best footballer on the planet, as well as the King of England.

Nah there is little chance he has another season like last, mostly because Arsenal have actuall signed some strikers now! To be honest City is prob the best place for him, he wont need to play another full season, because lets face it he is not likely to last another full season with an injury and he is not better than Aguero or Tevez and he cant really change a game with a moment of genius like Mario. He should go there for huge wages and play half a seasons worth of games and pick up some medals before his legs finally give in.