aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

I read Modric has slightly backed down and apologised to Daniel Levy for his recent behaviour. But Modric is another example of a cry-baby footballer although I suspect his agent has something to do with it. At the end of the day you play for the club who pays your wages simple as that. Spurs have said they will sell him when the right offer comes in. With three years left on his contract Spurs should let the fucker rot in the reserves... Fucks sake the modern top-level ain't half irritating at times, just get the fuck on and play!

Joey Barton is training with league two side Fleetwood Town whilst his QPR team mates jet off to play lucrative pre season friendlies!

Oh and Michael Owen is still a free agent lol!

Modric can go get fucked. He signed a 6 year deal 2 years ago, and both summers subsequent to that deal he's handed in transfer requests and acted like a cunt. Don't wanna stay? Don't sign such a long term deal. Levy doesn't have any pressure to sell. He probably will eventually, but he'll get the price he wants. Not turning up to training because you're not getting your own way is a prissy thing to do.

I think he'd struggle to get into the Real Madrid side anyway. He's not better than Ozil. PSG are well stocked in that department too. Pastore and Menez are proper smart. He should stay. Spurs aren't miles away from putting in a worthy title tilt. A couple of sensible buys this summer could see them cause problems. A bit more consistency could see them really push on.

I hope he goes though, and sits on the Real Madrid bench like a whole bunch of Premier League players have done in the past.

• Upvote 1

Shocking stuff going on at Portsmouth, seemingly they've now publicly stated that they are going to go out of business in 2 weeks if they can't do something about the players on massive contracts, and still Tal Ben-Haim is refusing to budge or take a pay cut and is milking the club for 36k per week. Holding out for every last drop of pay knowing that it's going to send a 110 year old club out of business? Now that's a mercenary.

Portsmouth near liquidation, say fans group SOS Pompey

"SOS Pompey presented the club's senior players with a written plea at the entrance of the club's training ground on Monday in an attempt to make them compromise on their salaries. Several of those players stopped to listen to them, but others including Tal Ben Haim - who is said to be on £36,000 a week refused to acknowledge them. "

Surely the players can be made redundant as well? Why are staff being made redundant before the high earners they want shot of?

I don't think they can just sack players if they're on guaranteed contracts. They're teetering though, they've got until 10th of August to sort it out or they're going the way of the dodo.

Portsmouth faces August closure threat say administrators

Surely the players can be made redundant as well? Why are staff being made redundant before the high earners they want shot of?

I'd imagine it would have something to do with compensation for the contracts. Staff contracts are probably quite affordable to get out of but paying off a group of footballers on a bajillion pounds a week would cost an arm and a leg, which I'm guessing Pompey can't afford to do. Portsmouth players really don't do walking away by the looks of things.

That said I know fuckall about HR so may be talking out my arse.

Overspending to try and buy success, big European matches, signing players on massive long term contracts, chairman jumps ship, administration, freefall down the leagues, financial meltdown and players refusing to walk away from their huge salaries. Did they learn nothing from Leeds United?

Shocking stuff going on at Portsmouth, seemingly they've now publicly stated that they are going to go out of business in 2 weeks if they can't do something about the players on massive contracts, and still Tal Ben-Haim is refusing to budge or take a pay cut and is milking the club for 36k per week. Holding out for every last drop of pay knowing that it's going to send a 110 year old club out of business? Now that's a mercenary.

Portsmouth near liquidation, say fans group SOS Pompey

"SOS Pompey presented the club's senior players with a written plea at the entrance of the club's training ground on Monday in an attempt to make them compromise on their salaries. Several of those players stopped to listen to them, but others including Tal Ben Haim - who is said to be on £36,000 a week refused to acknowledge them. "

Is it his fault he was given this contract? Would you be happy if your work came to you and said your taking a £31k a week wage decrease as we have badly managed our busniness and are now in the shit.

He isnt to blame, the idiot that gave him the contract is.

Its also worth noting the administrators have made about £4m from the club in the last 2 months, why should the player accept less money when the admins are raking it in?

• Upvote 1

Is it his fault he was given this contract? Would you be happy if your work came to you and said your taking a £31k a week wage decrease as we have badly managed our busniness and are now in the shit.

He isnt to blame, the idiot that gave him the contract is.

Its also worth noting the administrators have made about £4m from the club in the last 2 months, why should the player accept less money when the admins are raking it in?

No I wouldn't be happy, but if I was the stumbling block that was stopping a 100 year old football club with 30,000 fans from staying in business, I'd do the right thing and tear the contract up. I can't believe you're even defending the money grabbing parasite.

No I wouldn't be happy, but if I was the stumbling block that was stopping a 100 year old football club with 30,000 fans from staying in business, I'd do the right thing and tear the contract up. I can't believe you're even defending the money grabbing parasite.

Like i say its not his fault the club gave him a huge contract, its not his fault the club couldnt manage their way out of a paper bag.

In any job, your given a contract, with your wages, and you expect your employer to honour said contract, if i was in his position id tell them to do one.

As usual in these situations the anger gets directed against the player, lets blame the guy who was given a contract and now could end up massively out of pocket for doing nothing more than the job he was paid to do.

Anyway, there is no guarentee it will save the club, its just one of the many cut backs they are trying to make, Rangers playing staff took a 75% cut and where did it get them?

I cannot believe that they did not include something as straightforward and common place as a 'wage reduction' provision in these contracts in the event they slid down divisions. Ridiculous business sense.

In their defence, they probably didn't expect to be kicking off in League 1 when they signed Ben Haim and Kanu, at that time they were finishing top half, winning FA Cups and playing glamour European ties with the likes of AC Milan. But yeah, that was a pretty serious oversight.

I agree with MilnerD here - Ben Haim and co. are in no way to blame and shouldn't feel obliged to take a wage cut. Obviously if they did it would be an amazing gesture but a contract is a contract. Just because it's football doesn't mean sentiment should have a part to play when it comes to money. There seems to be a misguided opinion that prestige and tradition can excuse and eventually 'bail out' poor business decisions in football. If anything, it's these shitty owners who are parasites, preying on the loyalty of football fans who would do anything to keep their club alive. - If it came down to it, you can bet the Portsmouth fans would dip into their own pockets.

• Upvote 4

The biggest losers with the Pompy situation are some of the players in this instance, Kanu is due £3m?! Ben Haim is due about £1m already, and he has said he will waver that, he isnt a bad guy, he has a house and everything else to pay for. Yes he makes a lot of money, but when you make a lot of money you spend a lot of money, you have a nice house, a nice car and these things cost a shit load. Why should he risk his property for a football club that has been run into the ground over the past 5 years by a series of terrible businessmen?

It seems we treat footballers differently, the impression is that these guys have a duty to help a struggling club, whereas someone like myself would have no obligation to take a pay cut if my work were struggling, its a strange ideal i think, at the end of the day we are all working people, just doing different professions.