aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Tuncay was, and maybe still is, immense.

Stoke not playing him was criminal. Who was getting picked ahead of Tuncay? If The Rock were here, he would interrupt with "It doesn't matter who was getting picked ahead of Tuncay!"

He should have played always.

...................Walters...........................and Sidebe.........................dear me. Im literally hanging my head in shame.

He came on and scored an absolute "boster" against United at our place picked the ball out the net and ran towards the half way line as if to say..................LETS FUCKING AV IT!!! ( in Turkish obviously ) what a guy!!!.... think it ended up 1-3 :p

Also scored a cracker against Man Citeh in the cup.................stroll on ;(

Edited by fertuiee

haha! yeh! no answer to that is there? :)  Awsome finish.

Thought Stoke were pretty competative in that game too, up until that moment anyway.....although Gary Neville should have walked for his 2nd bookable on WIlko ( if that was the right game)  but we'll let him off cos he's never anything but nice about the Potters on the telly these days :).

Gary Neville's final season was cluttered with dead cert redders that he constantly got away with. He was a total calamity. He did the right thing in quitting. He's not the most diplomatic of people, so I'm surprised his parting words weren't "I'm pretty shit now, so that's it".

Probably.....its a good thing though :), he seems a decent sort of bloke to me Neville ( partly because he at some point scored a tonne for Lancashire i believe, U'19's or something ).

Seems a daft thing to say about a pundit, but i really like hearing what Neville has to say, cos lets face it most of them just recite exactly what is still floating around in your brain regarding the last 90 minutes of your life, Jamie Rednapp and Graeme Souness couldnt be more awkward, as Rednapp constantly interupts and Souness, by the end, actually looks like he wants to lynch him, both are twats. He'll either be the best pundit ever or coach the full England team or something.

I don't mind Souness. Redknapp I just can't on with though. Neville just has alot more to say. He's a good lad, despite being a bit of a bell as a player.

Gareth Southgate though... He seems like a nice enough guy, and I'm sure he is, but he has got the most longwinded way of saying absolutely nothing. He'll often change his opinion to match the opinion of Roy Keane too.

Utterly opinionless. Could easily be one of the Neutrals in Futurama.

"Was it a penalty, Gareth?"
"All I know is that my gut says maybe"

Edited by Joda Serk
  • Upvote 3

Stoke have only scored 14 goals from open play this season, but I completely agree with the rest of this.

If you want to add to your list, Newcastle have played absolutely disgusting football all season long, barring the odd moment of brilliance from Ben Arfa.

Fair enough on that point. The thing is, no one is going to say this has been Stokes best season ever, everyone knows they had a very poor second half of the season, but overall, over Pulis's time there has been more to them than just long balls.

Just to add to the debate, here is the list of the percentage of passes played over 30 yards this season,

1st Stoke 16.2% 

2nd Reading 15.7%

3rd Newcastle 15.6%

4th West Ham 15.1%

5th Sunderland 14.9%

6th Norwich 14.9%

7th Aston Villa 13.3%

8th QPR 13.2%

9th West Brom 13.2%

10th Everton 12.9%

11th Fulham 12.6%

12th Spurs 12.2%

13th Wigan 11.4%

14th Chelsea 10.9%

15th Southampton 10.9%

16th Liverpool 10.3%

17th Swansea 10.1%

18th Man Utd 10%

19th Arsenal 8.3%

20th Man City 8%

Ouch, also the long ball stats I saw put Newcastle at the top and Stoke quite far down.

Newcastle 2,283
Fulham 2,131
Wigan 2,047
Everton 2,042
Liverpool 2,041
Tottenham 2,028
Swansea 2,024
Chelsea 2,003
Norwich 1,995
Stoke 1,989
Man United 1,968
Sunderland 1,952
West Ham 1,901
Aston Villa 1,893
West Brom 1,889
Reading 1,855
Southampton 1,826
QPR 1,800
Arsenal 1,755
Man City 1,611

Doesn't say where the stats are from though.

Cambridge United have already signed half a dozen players and sorted out some pre season fixtures which go like this....

Sat 13th July - St Neots away

Tues 16th July - Royston away
Weds 17th July - Corby away
Sat 27th July - Sutton united away
Sat 27th July - St Ives away (presumably a United XI)
Weds 31st July - Stamford away
Sat 3rd August - Borehamwood away 

Cor blimey some football giants in there!

Confederations Cup final is on 1st July, the moment the final whistle sounds the new season thread should start I suggest!  

Glad to see the back of Pulis, horrible man by all accounts and that baseball cap was beyond annoying but Mark Hughes??? Oh dear it will be a disaster I think!

Edited by Delboy1969

Hughes is such a dull appointment, if they make it. The only positive, for me, is that it means he can't join Newcastle after we bin Pardiola for losing the first eight games of the new season.

It's all-change in Italy and all. Walter Mazzarri has left Napoli to replace the most photogenic man in football, Andrea Stramaccioni, at Inter. He's obviously done an excellent job at Napoli with his wild 3-4-2-1 system, so it'll be interesting to see how Inter adapt to that. They finished 9th this season (!!!) and their squad is rank rotten. Christ, just look at it: http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/75. Andrea Ranocchia started 32 games for them. 32 games! Chuffing hell.

Rafa Benitez is likely to join Napoli as his replacement. I really like Rafa as a manager, but there's something about his media personality that makes me really dislike the guy. Apparently they want to sign Nocerino from Milan and Bonaventura from Atalanta, which would be quality. He knows all the skills. 

Elsewhere, Hellas Verona have been promoted to Serie A again which gives me a good chance to say "read this book, it is ace": http://www.amazon.co.uk/Season-With-Verona-Tim-Parks/dp/0099422670/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369469746&sr=8-1&keywords=season+in+verona